Chores

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What are some ideas that a six, five, and three year old can do? The kids want me to make them a chore chart, just like the kid down the street has.

So far they make their beds and pick up their toys. I need somemore things for my list though!
June 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Put those things on the chart, it will make them feel important that they are doing their jobs.

The older two can probably do things like clear the plates after meals, empty the dustbin.

The only thing I can think of a 3-year-old could do is maybe setting the table.

Maybe you can have a word with kid's mum down the street and ask what's on the chore chart.
June 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well my kids are 6,4, and 2 and here is the stuff they do:

put their dishes in the sink(or on the counter if its glasss) after they eat

clean their rooms

make their beds(the older two)

put their laundry away when im done folding

my 6 year old hangs his clothes that need to be hung in his closet

when we get home from anywhere they put any dirty laundry in the laundry basket or put it away if its clean

all 3 like to transfer the laundry from the washer to the dryer but that isnt something they have to do

the older two like to do dishes and wash the table but again,not something they have to do
June 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids just make beds, clean the playroom, put dishes in the sink, and bring laundry from the upstairs hamper to the downstairs one.

June 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 4 year old actually "helps" her daddy dishes. We don't have a dishwasher so she rinses them off once they're done being scrubbed on one side of the sink.

Wow-wish the other kids were as enthused about doing dishes

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
June 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Regular
We have a chore chart for our 6 "younger" ones that rotates. Our youngest is 6 right now and she rotates through like everyone else, just we have lower "expectations" when she has certain chores, plus sometimes we have the older ones help her. In addition they all have "expected" chores that they all have: put clean clothes away (I have individual cubbies for everyone where folded clothes go), put shoes away when they come in, pick up toys and room, make bed, and clear place from table.

Our 6 rotating chores: Bathroom (the hated chore. LOL); folding laundry-I have them do a basket a day and I do the rest; sweeping the kitchen/hall; clean the playroom; pick up living room & empty recycle/empty silverware (my 16 yr old boy empties and fills the rest of the dishwasher everyday); and Set, clear, and clean the dinner table.

PS My kids ages that this apply to: 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 and 6 and we have had this rotation going for about 2 years, so since our youngest was 4. I think it is important to start chores early. My older 2 have plenty of other chores to do.

Expecting twins! EDD 11/11
June 29th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids do EVERYTHING. Dishes, laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, make beds. They help feed animals, water the garden, pick up the yard. I could keep going. Of course, it's all age appropriate. Ollie isn't quite two, but he loves to help. I don't actually make him do anything, he just jumps in and helps. Yesterday he unloaded most of the dishwasher for me. And he picks up dishes and garbage off the kitchen floor...But really, he does it because he sees the other kids helping out. It's too cute.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search