Is this logical?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a 7 passenger 2008 Dodge Caravan. We got it from Enterprise so it does not have a roof rack for storage. We are heading to Disney World in a few months and my Mom would like to ride with us. In total we are looking at packing for 9 nights including a day to get there and back (16 hr drive) with 4 kids and 3 adults in the van.

Can we seriously do that? We talked to my mom about her flying there (she actually has to drive 5 hrs to even get to our house) and she said she is willing but I feel bad. She has never flown by herself and I'm afraid that she will just not do well navigating through the airport.

We talked about getting a hitch installed and renting some type of trailer for luggage but I'm thinking that will cost a bundle. Also thinking about mailing some things down ahead of time. A roof rack installation will run us about $500 and it is not something I want us to install ourselves for fear of leaks.

What do I do? She wants me and DH to make the call on whether she should fly or drive with us. Is it logical to have all 7 of us in the minivan for 16 hrs with not much storage room? It sounds kinda insane when I write it out.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

June 30th, 2011, 06:28 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's why we got rid of our minivan. There just isn't any storage room. Even if your mother flies down - you still won't be saving that much space. What are you still going to do with all your stuff? I would price a trailer thingy before deciding. It might not be as much as you think.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 30th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't understand what all you are taking? We took our Honda to DC, 18 hours in the vehicle, for a week, 5 kids, 2 adults. I think you are planning to take too much. There will be laundry facilities, you can buy groceries and stuff you think you need, you can rent strollers (if your babies aren't too little, they aren't good for littles). If you like your mom, it will be nice to have another adult in the middle of the vehicle for helping with drinks, snack, reading books, etc. I bet you are just planning to take way too much stuff.

But I only own 1 pair of jeans, so what does that tell you about me?
June 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I agree with Farmers-wife, pack light and buy whatever you can when you get there, things like diapers, wipes, food etc,... Clothes can be washed, something I like to do anyways so I am not coming home to hours of dirty clothes, I would pack 2-4 outfits and one pair of shoes per person. Also don't discount "empty" space in the vehicle floor boards under the car seats are great storage spaces, blankets can be laid on the seats with the seats placed on top of them, be creative. We moved 7 people from Cali to Idaho in a 1979 pick-up and managed to get almost enough of our stuff here to furnish the house...almost.
June 30th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
I don't understand what all you are taking? We took our Honda to DC, 18 hours in the vehicle, for a week, 5 kids, 2 adults. I think you are planning to take too much. There will be laundry facilities, you can buy groceries and stuff you think you need, you can rent strollers (if your babies aren't too little, they aren't good for littles). If you like your mom, it will be nice to have another adult in the middle of the vehicle for helping with drinks, snack, reading books, etc. I bet you are just planning to take way too much stuff.

But I only own 1 pair of jeans, so what does that tell you about me?

I was kinda thinking the same way, but my DH keeps telling me I'm nuts and he started to convince me that it wouldn't work.

- And FM I don't have much in clothing either. My worst are bras. I am pretty much down to two and even those are really beat up. I just hate to spend money on something nobody ever sees. My underwear aren't much better either .

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

June 30th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would look into renting the trailer if it does come down to that or a plane ticket.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

June 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would take less. We have Walmarts all over this country. Plus, you won't feel so bogged down hauling all that stuff around. I understand the need for some, but really be picky.

Enjoy your trip! I wish we had the money to go

June 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Spend some money on some nice underwear and bras when you get back. You feel amazing and your DH will thank you. I am a reformed underwear buyer.

3 outfits at most: one they wear, 2 you pack. You do laundry. You are not on vacation. They are. I know he doesn't get that, but it is reality.

Have fun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search