Question about appt....measuring behind & weight gain.

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Last checkup at 22 weeks I had gained only 3 lbs. My ob wasnt concerned as I measured spot on.
Today at my 26 week appt (26.2) I had gained 3 lbs for a total of 6. I might add here that I've never gained weight this slowly in pregnancy before. In the beginning I put it down to stress, packing, moving. Things have calmed down significantly, although still busy and hectic.

However, in addition to my slow weight gain, I also measured 24 weeks which is two weeks behind.
I'm freaking out a bit. Never had these issues before.
Ob wants me to have a growth u/s in 2 weeks. Of course the tech isnt inuntil 4 days after so I am going to be worrying about bAbysgrowth for 3 weeks.

Anyone Familiar with issues of growth/weight gain.
I know that everyone grows differently. If my weight doesn't pick up are there risks?
If something is going on like low fluids or something is a 3 week wait going to do harm? Am I over panicking?

My pre preg size is 125 and 5'6".
Thoughts? Reassurance?

Last edited by MommySiobhan; July 8th, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
July 8th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if your doc was super-worried, you'd be having an u/s sooner to make sure baby is okay--I'm seeing all kinds of wt/size variances in my DDC and they only dx IUGR under the 10th percentile. I have gd so I run big all the time, so I'm of no help. ((hugs))

Lucky mother to five!

July 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They are all so different. I'm 29 weeks (woo-hoo) and have gained 6 lbs and baby is measuring a week to 2 ahead. He might just be bigger, but who knows. My biggest weight gain also produced my smallest baby, so you never know! Try not to worry!

July 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You mentioned you are concerned of possible low fluid. So what I would do is drink more water and try not to worry. like pp said if dr. was really worried he'd probably have you seen sooner.
July 8th, 2011, 06:23 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If the doctor was seriously worried he would have had you sent for an us immediately so I wouldn't panic. I measured behind with my daughter, she was born normal and almost 7lbs at 38 weeks.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies.
Now that I have had time, my initial panic mode is over. I am a worrier by nature so of course my mind always hits 'what if this, what if that'.

I'm hoping that baby was just in a different position or something of the like and in a couple weeks at my u/s everything is just ad it should be.

I also have been drinking a Ton of water daily.
July 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM
butterfly68's Avatar Super Mommy
I measured ahead with my 3rd and behind with my 4th. Lily had a big huge head like her daddy and Colie just had a little small head LOL.

*Thankyou Kiliki for my wonderful siggy*

Nearly 7 months since I quit smoking!!
July 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran
I agree with the others that you dr would have organised a scan sooner if he was really worried. I had growth issues with my last two pregnancies and unfortunetely sometimes its jsut a waiting game between appointments to see whats going on.

My last 2 bubs had IUGR and measured under 5th and 3rd percentile.My experience was that as long as fluid levels were normal then they will just monitor bubs growth via regular ultrasounds (every 2 -3 weeks) until the 3rd trimester and then will start monitoring with CTG to make sure bub isn't getting distressed and weekly ultrasound. My girls both had very small abdomine measurements but continued to grow in length. I think this is due to all the available nutrients going to the vital organs and the tummy just not getting full. My dds were delivered a little earlier (37 and 35 wks) due to not thriving in utero. DD2 had some difficulties at birth due to her early delivery and small size but overall they have no long term health prblems due to their smaller size.
DD1 is now as tall as children 2 years older than her and the IUGR obviously has not effected her in her growth or development.
July 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your input.

Well, I hit my 3rd trimester today! Yay!
I did talk to my OB scheduler today and theyve moved my growth U/S up to Tues 19th instead of Tues 24th so thats a week less for me to be worrying. Will update you ladies then.

I'm praying that everything looks on target.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search