Birthdays and Xmas

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For those of us on a tight budget (which is probably the majority of us right?) How much do you "spend" on each child's birthday? On each child for Christmas? (If you celebrate either holiday!).

Just curious. I was raised in a family with only one older brother and my parents spent $500-$600 on each of our bdays and $1500-$2000 each on Xmas. Now I realize just how ridiculous that is.

Right now we put enough away to spend $100/per child per birthday, and $100/per child for Xmas. But I just added that up and thats $1000/year just on GIFTS. That mostly end up broken or in the trash if not within a few weeks then eventually. I feel guilty though when I think of cutting back though. We don't have to but when I think I could put more $$ in savings then I think why spend it on things they won't even remember they got 6 months from now?

Just wondering what everyone else does, how extensively you celebrate bdays and xmas (if at all), and how important it is in your household.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With one kid we were easily spending $500 per birthday and Christmas. Last year I cut them down to $100 per kid per Christmas and birthday.

Now that I'm picking up a million toys off the floor a day, or worse having to tell them to pick them up and doing the "Clean Up!" song and dance, I think I'm cutting that down to $50 per kid per event. My kids are happy with junk from the dollar store, volume is what they're really looking for, right? And I know as they get older and care more, their tastes will get more expensive, so I might as well cheap out while I can. Like they know the price of anything yet anyhow. I do like having lots of gifts for each event though, since we live far from anyone and nobody is ever here to give gifts on event day but us, so I want them to have good pics and memories now.

Lucky mother to five!

July 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Birthdays are 50 per kid except 16th & 18th, they get 100.00. But not always, sometimes they will just ask for the money and other times they just tell me something they want.

Christmas is a little trickier, my older kids (20,19,19,17) have started getting less because they are just getting older and while Santa still has to give them something, they are past the age of abundance. I can't really say what I spend per kid, Santa brings three things and then I grab a few thing. In total I spend around 500.00-1,000.00 I am a pretty good shopper. For instance this week I got 150.00 worth of toys but spent 27.00, I got 2 big Iron Man Lego building sets, My Little Pony Castle with 5 ponies and some other odds and ends, a Weebles Wobble's farm (I think) with little people and 2 star wars characters. Figuring out where to hide it was the hardest part LOL
July 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We spend about $50 on a birthday gift per child tops. I have no idea how much we spend on christmas gifts per child.. I don't really make sure they have the same price wise.. but I do make sure they have the same number of gifts. I already have about half their christmas gifts bought (Kmart had toys on clearance and then I got an additional 20% off the clearance price). The things we buy for christmas gifts are things we aren't going to see broken in a few days.... we buy artsy stuff.. playdough, crayons, markers, paints, etc. I got the boys expansion packs for their geotrax things as well as other geotrax sets that will hook onto what they already have. Those are things I know they will take care of and that they can use their imagination with. I've spent about $85 total on the kids for christmas this year already and that is half-way to being done so if I can keep on that track, I'll have spent around $200 on 4 kids for christmas (not each.. total).

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

July 12th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
$50 or less for birthdays right now. I spend what we can at xmas. This past year it was maybe $200 per older kid (I never really buy the baby anything much), that will likely go down this year unless jobs pick up for my DH. But I only have 4 which seemed like 3 since I wasn't buying for the baby, and like someone else said my preschoolers don't ask for expensive things.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

July 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a set monetary limit because I shop sales and earn amazon gift cards so I just try to make sure everyone has a nice holiday/birthday.

Mom x 5

July 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I spend about $50 to $75 average per kid. We haven't and probably won't ever give our kids ipods or ds' or the like, if they want bigger ticket items then they will have to save up and buy it themselves.
The kids know that they get 3 gifts and they're totally good with it, they don't know any different, and I just want to limit the amount of stuff that gets brought into our house. Especially with Christmas I want the focus not to be presents.

Last edited by #5in2005; July 12th, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
July 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the three gift idea, sometimes I don't know when to stop

Lucky mother to five!

July 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've been doing $100 per child but it's going to have to change. The littles don't care and the the bigs are wanting more expensive things. My oldest is asking for an ipod touch this year. She's going to be severly disappointed.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

July 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran
I must admit to buying my kids heaps for presents. Every event I decide to cut back but then I see things that they would want or need and I buy them. We both come form large families (dh is 1 of 6 and I am 1 of 4) so our kids end up getting heaps of presents from their extended family as well. Birthdays are a bigger deal present wise for us and Christmas we try to have one special present each from us and then a few little things.
July 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jessie I do the same thing. This year each kid gets four gifts, I think I only paid cash for three or four out of the 16 gifts for the 'b-day season' kids (Sebastian, Noah, Syd, and RJ). Two of those was a bogo game sale from Amazon too so $13.00 for two new DS games.

Christmas just depends on what we have to spend. The dollar store here had some really nice Dora sets last year for $5 which we still have in good shape yet, so that says a lot for $ store stuff LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search