Clothes

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just curious, do you buy only brand new clothes for you LO's? Do you use hand-me-downs from older siblings to younger? Do you garage sale or purchase clothes secondhand locally like from craigslist?

How much would you say it costs you to clothe one child for an entire year (all four seasons..including shoes, underwear, socks, etc). Just curious!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS1-all brand new, NOTHING was used for that kid

twins-half was new, half was used from Nolan-many many new doubles outfits for them, I still like them matching

DD-we got alot of stuff donated used to us when we adopted her, I did and still do buy her new stuff, but so much of the used I received is really nice! I really only buy her underwear, socks, bathing suits, shoes and really pretty dresses--I have enough of the basics to get her through another 3 years at least. This kid easily has 25 tops in her current size hanging in her closet right now. I have to sort thru it weekly to make sure she wears everything at some pt before she grows again. She currently has 11 pairs of cutesy jeans in current size 3-I do kid laundry every 3rd day and she's not messy, this stuff isn't getting worn!

Once she came, we sold everything the twins and she outgrew, then I got pg. Now I am rebuying everything for Joey from nb-18 months. I am being very smart with him this time, he's lucky if he has 9 outfits in each size, but I know I'll get gifts and I make big babies, he'll outgrow it all fast. I also keep nothing with stains of any form, one stain that doesn't come out and its gone, same with fading.

Joey has alot of brand new clothes-I do have a tiny box of infant things I loved that I kept from the three boys, but its in the crawl space in the basement, and of course I kept some receiving blankets and homemade stuff, but otherwise he'll be just like DS1, all brand new. I lied, I forgot that one of my JM local mommy friends sent me two big containers of 0-12mos boy clothes which I'm using to stock up his stash! Great condition, I am so lucky!

If I had to guess, I probably spend $300 per kid per year in clothes, that might be low for Nolan but high for Joey considering the price of infant vs school age sized clothes (and soccer uniforms, etc). I buy discounted winter clothes and boots and save them for the next year. We do have a nice consignment kids' place here in town, but I really only buy brand name stuff and denim from them.

Lucky mother to five!

July 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I buy new (usually sales) and do hand-me-downs. Shoes, underwear and socks are all bought new when needed.

I not sure exactly how much I spend per child. I don't think I want to know, lol! At the moment, I have $800 set aside to get 4 kids ready for back to school. I haven't actually went through all the hand-me-downs yet to see what I already have so I may not have to spend it all.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

July 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
#1 and #2 get everything all new, but I'm a deal shopper. #2 is a completely different build than the other girls so I give her pants away, shirts are either worn out or do get passed down. #1 passes down to #3 quite nicely and #3 is happy to be at the recieving end of them. I don't buy anything used, I am more of a clearance/outlet shopper. It is harder to do this with the older kids, particularly when it comes to jeans, shoes and coats, especially now that they're in adult sizes. Also, when they get older they wear stuff out and it doesn't pass down.

I would say that I spend about $500 per kid on the older 2, about $250 on the next 2 per kid and $150 on my last. It could easily be more than that, if I think of how it adds up when I buy new socks and underwear even. I don't really spend a lot on the clothes, but if I think of what I spend on their winter coat/snowpants/boots, (that I always hope will last 2 winters) then it's not that hard to get to those amounts.
July 26th, 2011, 11:21 PM
jojo1207's Avatar Ayla 11/8/10
All of the above - sometimes we buy new, sometimes we take hand-me-downs from friends, my girls definitely share/hand-me-down, other times I go crazy at the resale shop, especially for the baby who grows out of stuff so fast. Ebay lots are fun to shop, Craigslist too but I am not so big on that one for clothes I'm not big on used shoes so those are usually new. The oldest boy is going into high school this fall so he's getting all new clothes this year - what a treat!

I have no idea what we spend a year, but I'll only really spend $100 or so every few months, if that.
July 28th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't say a price...I've never kept track. I buy new, usually at the outlets, so brand name, but way cheaper. Ryen and Emelia get new because they are a completely different build. And Wyatt gets new. The others usually end up with hand me downs, but I do buy them stuff occasionally.

August 9th, 2011, 05:49 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use a TON of hand me downs here. That being said, my ODD is super tall and caught up with anyone that gave her hand me downs years ago, so she gets a fair amount of new stuff. YDD gets ODD's old stuff, and I have a friend that gives me AWESOME boys hand me downs, all the big brand names that I'd never buy (gap and gymboree mostly). I really have no clue what it costs to clothe them for the year.
August 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
90% hand-me downs usually given from families we know. I rarely buy them new things but the grandparents do sometimes.
August 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Should make this topic a sticky along with the vehicle one

I buy a few things here and there for the kids on clearance, otherwise most is hand me downs from neighbors.

August 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've always used hand me downs. I have no idea what I pay, but it really isn't a lot.

Mom x 5

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search