New Here

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran
We have DS 7, DD 3, DS almost 2, and DS 8 months. I am always looking for tips for meal planning, homeschooling, and organization. Also... what kind of vehicles is everyone driving and how do you like it? We are currently researching for our next veicle as minivan is getting cramped.

Sorry *VEHICLE*
August 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say welcome here. As for answers to your questions, I am probably not the best to answer them, since I have a small-big family. As for your vehicle, depends how many more you plan to have, my last minivans have been 8 seaters and it works great for us.
August 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Veteran
We r a small big family too...lol. But we are hoping to have another soon and would like to have room for more than just our family.
August 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome! I've got five under five and we drive a Dodge Caravan and a Ford E350 15 passenger van. I am looking at upgrading the 15 pass to a Ford Excursion next year, as my kids will be ready to load themselves in the back row.

Lucky mother to five!

August 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran
Do you like the Dodge Grand Caravan? How many passengers?
August 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have four, dd-12, ds -9, dd-4, dd-2 We have a Honda Odyssey and it is ok, I just wish it could seat 8.

Mom x 5

August 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran
Yeah.... we have a Nissan Quest and it only seats 7
August 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a Chevy Express 3500 that's customized to seat 11. I loved it until the fuel pump went out, now it's on my sh*t list. I also still drive my Chevy Venture daily (much better gas mileage). We only need the big van for family outings.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

August 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM
butterfly68's Avatar Super Mommy
welcome! I've only got 4 and no plans for any more. We've got a GMC Safari (van) and it can seat 8. gets us from point a to point b that's all I care about. (I dont drive myself)

*Thankyou Kiliki for my wonderful siggy*

Nearly 7 months since I quit smoking!!
August 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM
dee1973's Avatar Veteran
We have a Dodge Caravan that seats 7. Its ok for us now
August 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
We have a Chrysler town and country and it seats 7. I'd Like to get something that seats 9. But the van works great for our family of 6

August 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran
Thank you all for the feedback! There really are not many car makers that cater to large families huh!

*** A Super Thank You to Jaidynsmum For My VERY FIRST SIGGY***
August 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We a 5.5 year old, 3.5 year old, 2 year old and 10 month old and drive a Honda Odyssey. LOOOOVE it. I had an 8 seater SUV but it just didn't have the convenience that the mini van does (auto sliding doors/trunk and seats that can be taken out specifically) that we needed for having 4 young kids.
August 21st, 2011, 05:26 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! We are expecting #7 and drive a Chevy Express 12 passenger. The only thing I don't like is the storage space in the back, there isn't a lot of room. We ended up getting a pick up to fit all the bikes for trips to the park.

August 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! We have a suburban. I LOVE it, however, it's getting too small for us. I can't fit another kid in and the ones I do have now are pretty crowded. We either need a second one, or a 15 passenger something.

August 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran
Chevy express, huh??? That sounds a bit more like what we need. Can you tell me about gas mileage (which is never great in the larger vehicles) and convenience of loading and unloading? Thank you all so much! You have been really helpful to me!

August 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Mama to 5 girls and 1 boy
Welcome We just have a 8 person GMC van right now it works for us but we plan to upgrade one day
Karrara 11 01/11/05, Kaiah 9 1/2 07/01/06, Kayda 8 01/12/08
Katara 4 02/10/12, Korra 2 1/2 10/10/13, Kannon 14mo 02/21/15
August 28th, 2011, 10:07 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
We have a 1995 Chevy Van, which was given to us by my grandparents. Before that, we had a Dodge Caravan and with 5 kids we had enough room but just barely and not nearly enough storage space. We are *LOVING* this van!!! We recently took a 6-hour drive trip across the state, and this van did so wonderfully well. We all had lots of room to spread out and get comfy, and this with two infant car seats. Dunno what the newer models are like though! We had planned to look into suburbans or possibly (GASP! Treason!) a Ford Excursion, but were blessed with this instead and it will do us until it quits. Love it!

BTW, I asked this same question a couple of years ago and found that a lot of folks drove passenger vans, 12 or 15 passengers. We looked at some and talked about going that route, but they just didn't look very comfortable. THIS van is nothing like that. It still has only 7 seatbelts, but the ROOM involved is TREMENDOUS. It's a "travel time" van, it says on the side - one of the first models that had a tv and video player in it. (I'm talking 13" large box, and a VCR!) Carpet throughout, and tracking lights inside, and multiple a/c units - it's super nice and my grandparents kept it in super condition. You'd never know it was 16 years old!

Anyway. Probably not much help because it's so old, but I just had to brag on it, and maybe you will get blessed with one like we did.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Last edited by dalynnrmc; August 28th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
August 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofmiracle08 View Post
Chevy express, huh??? That sounds a bit more like what we need. Can you tell me about gas mileage (which is never great in the larger vehicles) and convenience of loading and unloading? Thank you all so much! You have been really helpful to me!
Gas mileage is about 12-14 miles per gallon. Loading/unloading is SO easy. There is an aisle the runs along the side so nobody has to crawl over seats to get in. We put the eldest in the back since they can do their own seatbelts and younger ones go in the front so we can get them buckled.

August 29th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Veteran
WOW!!! I cannot believe the support here! I have been posting in the TTC and nobody ever responds to my threads! Our current van has seven seatbelts and a DVD player. The screen is def not 13" though. I bet that is nice. I really need SPACE! I saw a Chevy Venture Exended the other day and I LOVED IT! It had 8 seatbelts and each seat was wide. You kow how sometimes the middle seat in a row can be narrow. Not in this. It even had a built in carseat in the midle row on the passengers side. You could pull a flap down that is the back of the seay and there is a five point harness. I thought that was nice since I could put my 3 year old there so when we reached our destination, once I got her out I could fold the seat down for the ones in the back to get out without having to remove a carseat. Right now we would have room for us plus 2. Hopefully one day it would just be enough for us plus 1 ;-) It also had the dvd player and a luggage rack. I am hoping they will offer a good price on my trade in since my van is 3 years newer than that one. I would also LOVE the Chevy Express. I have been looking at them online, but the only ones that I have found used so far have been cargo only

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search