I am still upset about

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the beginning of school being so near. My kids go back on August 29th - and I return to work. BLAH.

Do you all go out and buy your kids new clothes and sneakers because school is starting? I am having a hard time with this expense and wondered what other large families do. they all need backpacks and lunchboxes too. And don't even get me started on the back to school supply lists again. Can I just tell you that my kids have paper towels and tennis balls on the list? And ziploc bags, disinfecting wipes, and tissues. Then get that for all four of them plus the normal school supplies, crayons, markers, paper, folders, erasers, glue, etc. This is very stressful.

Is it too late to homeschool?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 16th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When dd spent three weeks in NY she went to a thrift store and stuffed a bag for 7 and bought about 14 shirts and a pair of shorts. My SIL up there gave her about 10 pairs of pants that she was getting rid of. My sisters always buy them something so one sister bought her sneakers and my other sister is buying her socks/underwear. Her backpack from last year is on good shape and so is her lunch bag. So I will have to buy her bras (we have never done this before.. filled with dread) a gym outfit and another pair of shoes. Oh and her supplies - 5 3-ring binders, folders, pencils, highlighters, pens, pencils, paper.. i think that was it.

So dd9 needs a lot more. He went through a growth spurt and barely anything fits him so he is going to need pants, shirts, backpack, shoes, socks, underwear. Yuck. One of my sisters said she would get him the backpack and my other sister is getting him a pair of shoes. It's nice to get a little help.

Mom x 5

August 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I spent about $50 total for all the kids school supplies and gym shoes. I'll just buy a few new outfits here and there throughout the year. I went through the clothes closet and put some new stuff in their drawers (also gave a TON away again too).
Someone on my fb said they saw a mom of 3 spend 500 at target in one trip. I said back that you do NOT have to spend that much, kids don't go to school to see who can be gap-ish, and I got this lovely response back from another 'lady' (I use that term loosely).
"Kids absolutely do pay attention to what other kids wear. I'm not going to have 6 kids that I can't afford to clothe properly only to fulfill some empty hole in my heart and send them into the world looking like they came out of a thrift store. That, IMO, is setting them up to be picked on and treated differently by teachers. We save where we can, but our kids will never, ever be shorthanded-whether it be their clothing, family vacations, or extra curricular activities."
I didn't respond back at all, because I'm an adult.

August 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I still have to worry about the basics, like shoe and clothes, pencils, crayons and paper...but I have to whether school is starting or not. I'm just glad I don't have all the other required stuff. Some of the lists I've seen are pretty ridiculous.

August 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM
semi-crunchymom's Avatar Veteran
My kids already started school back on the 8th I've only got 2 in school so far and they wear uniforms so its easier to do hand-me-downs, although DS1 put holes in 5 (!)pairs of pants when he was in kinder so DS2 will have lots of shorts!lol. I agree the supply lists are a bit ridiculous (they had tissue, wipes and earphones among the odd things) and i ended up spending $90 in supplies (and we didn't buy backpacks and only 1 lunch box and no earphones since we had some). The most outrageous thing, imo, was the reams of colored paper-it was hard to find and then it was $9/ream No way was i paying that- i ended up just getting 100 sheet packs at target for about $4. Ad for other things like shoes/socks/underwear i don't buy new just because school is starting....only when they need them

Thank you Oona for my adorable siggy!

Last edited by semi-crunchymom; August 16th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
August 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been buying clothes for Nolan and Elizabeth for the past four months or so, I'm always a size ahead for them anyhow. I did go out and buy all four kids new shoes this week, that alone was $50, but all four outgrew their shoes and since they've been in sandals all summer I had a nasty surprise when we got dressed for church yesterday, and apparently you can't go to church in rubber boots...

Anyhoo, I did buy a few things for K for Nolan, but nothing too major. I bought his backpack and lunch kit last week. Why exactly do I need to buy ziploc bags and kleenex for kindergarten, anyhow? And Elizabeth is in preschool, but I bought her backpack three months ago, had her lunch kit from her April preschool trial days, and I did find lunch kits on sale yesterday (Melissa and Doug's Sunny Patch ones) for the twins for when they start in April. I'm done!

Lucky mother to five!

August 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids have already started back. After reading some of the other responses, I'm no longer complaining about the supplies, lol. I guess we have it pretty easy.

I'm dividing up my back to school clothes shopping. I bought new tennis shoes, socks and underwear for each kid. As well as a few new warm weather outfits (all on sale or clearence) to get them through the first week (when all the critical parents like the one mentioned above are still bringing their kids to the classroom, lol.) It's still hot here so they'll be wearing summer clothes for at least another month. I'll be shopping for new fall clothes as they are clearenced out, so much cheaper this way.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search