Housing Discrimination

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have had a very frustrating week, and I was wondering if anyone of you had faced similar issues.

My dh and I have four young kids, and he is in the military. We just moved to a new base. We prefer to live on base, as that usually saves us money. The base has beautiful new homes that are 2,400 square feet. When we asked for one though they told us our family was too big. The law in our county (which is in Maryland) says bedrooms must be 125 square feet for children to share. These rooms are 122 square feet. Yes, three feet! Sooo...they gave us another house, which is 1,300 square feet. Yes, 1,100 square feet smaller. But it has one room that us like 130 square feet that two children can share.

To make matters worse, they told us if we were to have a fifth child we would have to leave our home and leave the base....no house would fit us.

I call BS on that! There is no reason my kids can't sleep in bunkbeds. This is a county law, not a military one, so I was wondering if any of you have had problems. I am honestly worried. We are not rich, and can't afford a large home. With four kids we are very comfortable in a modset 3 or 4 bedroom home. I do not like the government coming in and telling me where my children can sleep. I also feel very bullied into not having more kids.
August 18th, 2011, 06:52 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That doesn't sound good. I don't know about laws - but I guess because it's military housing, they can do what they want - kwim? Doesn't make it right - but it's their rules I guess. I know we have some other military families, hopefully they will chime in and offer some advice. That must be so frustrating!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That doesn't sound right at all. Our house is 1,290 sq ft total. If someone came in and told me where my kids could sleep I would tell them to stuff it. Of course our situation is a bit different than you guys, seeing as military is a job that you're pretty much stuck in for certain periods of time. Hopefully you can work something out!
How often do you move to different states? Or even counties?

August 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We'll be here for four years. The thing is though, it is a private company that offers the on base housing. The law they are following is one in place by Prince Georges county, Maryland. One that we'd have to follow off base as well.
August 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
That doesn't seem right! I live in a 4 bedroom in base housing here in San Diego and I know the only rule is boys and girls over a certain age can't share. My boys are in one room and my girls share another. I think since its military they can make there own rules if the housing is on base, even if its ppv, the only city codes my housing follows is curb appeal because my housing is off base. There has to be someway around it.

August 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have to use the rooms as they are "intended"? Could you "say" the 4 kids are all sleeping in the Master Bedroom? I mean, I know it is the military, but it seems like you could be "creative" in the definition of rooms. Anyway to do that?
August 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am kinda surprised by that law. I've never heard one like that before. I wonder just how enforced it is outside the base. Wish I had some advice for you. It has to be frustrating.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

August 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are they really gonna come check on you? The county that is.

It kinda blows my mind that the military is allowed to be so nitpicky and tell you guys all this stuff you can't do with your kids. Especially when some of you are so adamant about other things, (no vax etc lol). After all it IS just a job! That's like my husband's job telling me that I can't dress my kids in blue jeans or that he can't drive a ford because he works for honda.

August 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
butterfly68's Avatar Super Mommy
oh my how very frustrating!! I'd be really upset.

we have a 1200 sq ft house, 3bdrm upstairs and 2 in the basement. so all my kids have their own rooms, though my youngest hasnt slept in his own room in over a year LOL. He either sleeps with his big sister or his big brother or with me lol.

*Thankyou Kiliki for my wonderful siggy*

Nearly 7 months since I quit smoking!!
August 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How ridiculous is that? We were looking for a new rental (4 br like the condo we are in now but we wanted a house) before we decided to buy instead...but so many people actually told us NO because we had TOO MANY KIDS and they didn't want their house ruined. Like seriously? We keep a nicer house than many single people or couples we have known!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search