Public Bathroom Advice

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Once we have all done our business and it is time to wash hands is when I really run into trouble. Not one of my kids can reach the sink. Even if I turn on the water they still can't touch it. I must lift each child to wash their hands. During this process I clean 1 or 2 kids and then find out that as I am lifting number 3 or 4 to wash his/her hands, the first two have now touched disgusting things in the bathroom and I am now back to square one. I do try to wash in order of most reliable which is Reagan first. But the next 3 are pretty much guaranteed to touch something and with my back turned I end up catching them after the fact.

I try to be relaxed about it and I will just grab some hand sanitizer if I can find it in my bag, but I wish there was a way to actually leave the bathroom with 4 clean kids? I don't care what they touch before we wash hands it's just keeping them clean once we have washed up.

Bathrooms are so tiny and so crowded most of the time, and I am in such a rush to get outta there. Maybe if I gave the kids each place to stand and told them to stay still, but they always end up being in someone's way.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; September 3rd, 2011 at 04:53 AM.
September 3rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Hand sanitizer and baby wipes. I can remember phases like that and we would just leave the bathroom where I would wipe them down with a wipe and squeeze a little sanitizer in their hands. Once home we would go for a full wash, the truth is they are gonna be ok from a little bathroom germs. I mean I hope so cause a few of mine were known to lick the floor on occasion
September 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't really run into this problem since I've only ever had two at a time that couldn't reach, so take my advice w/ a grain of salt. What if you keep some wipes in your purse like m2m10 suggested and then have the kids who are finished hold onto them. They can either stay busy continuing to clean their hands or you can try to teach them to only touch things with the wipes.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

September 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just don't care that much. I wash my own hands all the time, but I don't fool with them. A baby wipe will do before you get home. They get good baths at night.
September 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've got three who can't reach; I do my best and use isagel as soon as we leave the bathroom. I keep the stuff in my van, too

Lucky mother to five!

September 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks that makes me feel better. I am just gonna relax about it. I had a floor drain episode and then reagaR missed the potty and peed on the floor, so the other kids played in the pee-puddle while I cleaned up Reagan episode. not fun but those are rare occurrences.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

September 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i always carry sanitizer on my keyring so thats what wyatt uses in public. at home, soap and water.

~~terre~~
September 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
I know that problem all too well. I have started having DH take at least 2 of the kids in with him if he is with me. Otherwise, I make the kids stand still after washing their hands. However, I still carry hand sanitizer b/c someone will inevitably touch something gross.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
September 5th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I rarely go out without hubby but I told him this week I'm not going with him in public anymore if he doesn't help with that. He says he doesn't know how to take the boys My youngest at the moment is a boy and is too small to pee standing up so my husband freaks out at having to have him sit. It takes forever.Thankfully my kids are passed the touching everything stage in the bathroom but i am a germ freak and I give them sanitizer alot when we're out.
September 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Baby wipes and hand sanitizer!

September 7th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I like Cortney's advice about the baby wipe.

Or you can have Raegan and a buddy wash first, then have Raegan help them dry their hands together while you wash the next batch. At four she should be able to do it and happy to be the mature big helper. I have also been known to sit Clara on the counter when the bathrooms have those.

Mom x 5

September 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
None of mine can reach either (my 5 year old is a shorty LOL).. I get 2 of them washed up and hands dried off and then have the two of them hold hands while I wash up the others.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search