Funding Christmas

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw in the never-ending thread that a couple of you were already doing your Christmas shopping. I wish I was that awesome! I'm still trying to build up the Christmas Fund! Back-to-school shopping took a huge chunk out of it.

So, how does everyone plan and prepare for Christmas expenses.
Do you save all year? Part of the year?
Do you just add it into the Dec budget?
Do you do something extra for Christmas money?

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

September 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't done any Christmas shopping, I have 3 kids with birthdays in november that have to happen first.

It's a little different with us as far as budgeting, our personal/business money is all intertwined so in december when I spend extra it just works out, but I usually just put a number in my head and stick to it, it adds up fast.
September 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use my amazon money for some of it, and the other money just comes out of December money. I want to start ordering gifts real soon here. We have 1 birthday in December too, and also celebrate st nick day, so that's extras too.

September 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I start early and just work it into the regular budget somehow
I was thinking I should start a savings account and put money it in each month for back to school, Christmas and birthdays-I'm guessing $1200-1500 over the year should cover it especially when they're all little, right?

Lucky mother to five!

September 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
We spent exactly $0 on Christmas last year, and it turned out alright. I haven't even thought of Christmas this year.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

September 30th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jennifer, do you just not do Christmas presents then?

Marie, I think that totally covers it. When mine were littler I could easily get away with spending $30-$40 on all their christmas gifts. I remember vividly that I spent $23 on my oldest dd's first Christmas.

We do 3 gifts per kid, one geared for just them, one that's fun for the whole family (like a game, book etc) and we draw names and we buy for each other (where they pick something that's roughly $15). The beauty of doing it that way is that even though they "only" get 3 things, they always feel like there's a lot because they all get to play with what the others got too.

In my opinion, people in general get way too caught up in the gift buying, and advertising and media just bombards us with messages telling us that in order to express our love for someone we have to buy them a big gift and spend a lot of money on them. That's partly why I do 3 gifts, because I just don't want to get caught up in it. Also, it's not what Christmas is about, so we want to keep it fun, but not the focus.
September 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Do you save all year? Part of the year? We save part of the year
Do you just add it into the Dec budget? We will add half in since we usually have some put away during the year
Do you do something extra for Christmas money? We might have yard sales, or DH might do a few side jobs for people

September 30th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last year each kid bought each other kid a small gift. It was kinda crazy maybe we'll draw names this year, that's a good idea!

September 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
it is a challenege around here every year. i used to buy in september and be done with it. now, however, i just pick up things throughout the year (very few though) and then between now and christmas, i get it done. i keep a spiral pad in my purse and list each person that gets a gift and as i buy something i log it on the list. the only rule i try to stick to is that they (the grandkids molstly) get an equal amount to open or at least an equal amount spent.

last year we were broke BIG TIME!!! so i gave my kids a gift certificate for a family week-end at an inexpensive resort in the desert around palm springs, dated for march when my son was going to be home from overseas. once given out, we had to save up for it but all in all, it was really a fun time. not sure i would do it ever again, but.....

~~terre~~
September 30th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I start early, every time I enter a store I check out the clearance isle, sometimes I don't find anything and others, like a trip to Walmart where I got $150.00 worth of toys for under $30, I get lucky. Last night I went through Toys R Us online and found some pretty nice things and spent under $100.00.

I always start with my little ones (10, 7, 5 and 22 months) cause no matter what they will get x-mas. After they are finished I work on the teens (20, 19, 19 and 17) I never know what to get them because they tend to get what they want and need through out the year. This year I am hoping to get one of them a laptop for college so my computers aren't all bogged down, the other one who went away got a laptop before he left. That would leave only needing something for 3 of the teens, the one in college with limited space (not to mention all that I have bought and keep shipping to him) my 20 year old who has no real interest in anything anymore, and the 17 year old.....

Santa also only brings 3-5 items, everything else is from the dollar store or dollar isle's, that's what I put under the tree. I also shop second hand for all of them, especially for electronics and video games.
September 30th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I have to say that b/c of some of you ladies, this is the first Christmas where I do three gifts for each kid plus stockings. Last year it was insane the amt of presents we had on Christmas morning, and now I've got another kid! I'm buying three high quality toys per kid, they're all gonna play with all of them anyhow at some point, and getting little stuff for stockings. I did another Costco run today and bought four more gifts, I should be nearly done all the big stuff now. Just the IL's and dh left!

Lucky mother to five!

September 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Jennifer, do you just not do Christmas presents then?

Usually we do, but last year we just couldn't with hubby laid off and Lucy was still so little that I couldn't work as much. Even if we don't buy for the kids they usually get something. I'm hoping this year will be better, but we just have to wait and see how it goes.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

October 1st, 2011, 12:29 AM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
It's been a few years since we spent $0 like that, but we have done it.

This year we'll have to be super careful with anything we spend. Still catching up from 6 months of income under 1K, but at the end of Oct I think we'll be able to spend a little out of those two checks. Two checks go towards rent, and the other two just have to cover electricity and phone, so there should be some out of those for the next 3 months.

Usually we wait and just do all the shopping with the last check before Christmas, but that was when hubby was getting paid every 2 weeks (and making twice what he is now LOL). So we'll have to figure differently this year and might need to do a 3-gifts-each kind of rule here too.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
October 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i like the 3-gift rule and i think we are going to use that this year too.

~~terre~~
October 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who is it that does the 5 things for gifts? It was something like...
1. A gift they want
2. A gift they need
3. A gift to read
I can't remember the rest...

I like the 3 gift idea too. I'm going to aim for that this year plus stockings. I also like the idea of siblings buying another sib a gift.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

October 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
I did an inventory last night and I need one gift each yet: Elizabeth, a twin, Leappad explorer for Nolan. And I have about half of my stocking things done. Also got perfume bought for MIL. Just FIL, dh and something little for MIL. Oh and the godparents. Oh, and teachers-good thing I started early, lol!

Lucky mother to five!

October 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Marie, you are certainly on the ball!

My kids do really like giving gifts to teachers/aunties/grandma's that comes just from them, so I have been looking online for recipes for bath bombs. Looks pretty inexpensive, and fun to give

I did realize that I do stagger the gift buying, I just get a few things as I cross paths with them, so I don't get them all at once.
October 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I found this homemade idea and I think this year this is what I am gonna do for the kids friends...

Single Serving Pie in a Jar | Our Best Bites
October 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I have not started anything for xmas because the employment issues (posted in the private forum) has been iffy at best.

We put money into things in the house that were much needed (livingroom furniture) that I already paid off on my Visa with my bonus cheque.

The kids are always undecided about what they truly want, and change their minds constantly, so they may get stuck with $ or a gift card at this rate.

October 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
those pies are really cute!

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search