Must have items for twins!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I am trying to put together my registry for my shower in June and I need serious help. What were items you just couldn't live without when your twins arrived?? What were items you had but never used?? Which bottles (if you used them) did you like the most? Anything you wish you had but never bought?

April 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Super Mommy
I got a tandem stroller that I regretted (graco duo glider). Once they got too big for the carriers that fit in the stroller I hated how one was in back and couldn't see much and was hidden. I ended up splurging for a side by side and LOVE it. It is so much lighter and easier to use. It is a combi twin saavy. I had to have bouncy seats. I used those a ton. I got a twin nursing pillow that I didn't use all that much, definitely could have done without it and I spend $50 on it. I have a Co-Sleeper which was awesome. A lot of times they ended up in our bed anyway but I definitely was happy to have that. Once they got too big for it as a co-sleeper I used it in the living room to change their diapers and now I use it as a porta-crib if we go anywhere. I loved our Bumbo seats. Definitely got a lot of use out of those. I also loved the infant gowns. The kind with the elastic at the bottom. They made nighttime changes super easy. That is all I can think of for now.

April 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Super Mommy
I second the stroller comment. We love our new twin savvy! I love my Snugli carrier and shopping cart cover. I'm a pro at grocery shopping with them by myself - Paige gets the carrier and Connor goes in the cart. Exersaucer and jumperoo are great.

Visit my blog

</div>
April 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
I "third" the stroller comment . . . except for me, I didn't like the side-by-side stroller because it was too wide to get through a lot of places . . . we lived in an older two level house when Ashley and Robbie were born so I had their cribs upstairs and I had pack-n-plays with the bassinets in the lower level of the house. I couldn't have survived without those . . . when they were really little I only used one until they were too heavy to stay in the same one. Our house was really small, so I didn't have room for 2 bouncy seats or 2 of a lot of other things . . . I had one swing and one exer-saucer-thing. I could lock the swing and used to feed one of them from there (once they were eating solid food) and feed the other one from the exer-saucer . . . that way I could feed them both at the same time. Remember, I said our house was really small!! I only had one changing table . . . believe it or not . . . I changed them in their cribs upstairs and we spent most of our time downstairs anyway. I only had one crib until they were 5 months old . . . they slept together in one crib until that time. I did have double the blankets, bibs, etc.

I hope this helps . . . I think you'll probably just have to figure out what works for you . . .

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
April 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
mighttyjomomma
I had 1 swing and 1 bouncy seat, some babies prefer different things so I think you should get to know who likes what before buying 2 of everything, KWIM? Never used changing tables ever, LOVED my Graco side-by-side double stroller (I too think it is SO much easier to steer), lots and lots of onesies, didn't do bottles.. I'd get the pack n play that's got a bassinet in it already.
April 17th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks so much, ladies! This helps a lot!!

April 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
mighttyjomomma
It's what we are here for!
April 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Veteran
Hi. I'm still kinda new to the twin mom thing, but let me tell you what I know.

My girls are actually still sharing the same crib. They're not moving around too much yet, although they always do kind of roll together in the middle by the morning time. I went through a lot of bottles trying to find the right one. When they were very little and spit up a lot, we used Dr. Brown bottles. Now that they're bigger, we prefer Avent. They are much easier to clean (no inner chamber), and pretty easy for the girls to grip. Lainey is holding her own bottle now (as she sits in a bouncy chair) but Cadigan doesn't yet.

We LOVE our jumperoo and exersaucers. Every extra place to sit the babies helps, and it is entertainment for them. I am also very happy to have 2 high chairs. Once again, they are extra seats. Sometimes I just bring the girls in the kitchen for a change of scenery. I can put toys on the tray and they can easily grab at them.

We use our snuggli's a lot. Also, believe it or not, I just bought two separate umbrella strollers. I don't know your situation, but sometimes DH and I each take a baby and divide up to conquer some errands. It's nice to have a single, lightweight stroller, and I didn't have to spend a lot of money. Save the money for the expensive double strollers! So, originally we had a graco frame double front-back stroller that the carseats just popped into. Now we're getting a double side-by-side jogging stroller, and keeping the umbrella strollers just for quick and easy use.

April 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
mighttyjomomma
Actually, I know they even sell connector pieces for umbrella strollers for multiple parents.

http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Twins_Str...p/prin-6550.htm
April 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used Advent bottles and loved them, I used them with all my kids. They were easy to clean IMO.
I had a sling that I could not of lived without it was perfect for breastfeeding in public.
I had a bassinet for next to the bed, it was great when I had to seperate the babies when they got sick. One had to be giving breathing treatments due to a cold and it was lovely. Mine also shared a crib till they got older.
2 swings.. mine took naps in their swings later on and it helped get their schedules together.
I second the gowns, the ones that fold over their hands so they don't scratch themselves or eachother.
I never used a stroller till they could sit in one on their own but now I love my jogger. HIGHLY recommend it. It is wide but so much better than my tandem.
Also I second the bumbo seats OMG they re awesome. Be warned tho they can flip their little bodies out of them.
April 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thank you! That is a good idea to have two separate strollers as well as the double. And I would have never known they sell connectors!!

Does anyone know if the Bebe Pod is just as good, worse, or better than the Bumbo seat?

April 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
lilly_&_hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here are some of the things I'm so glad we have:
-Maclaren Twin Triumph side by side stroller
-Double Snap N Go.... your car seats snap into it. This is a definite MUST have. Much cheaper than the typical travel systems. I did not want one baby in front and one in back when they get older.
-Bouncy seats
-Microwave sanitizer
-2 Boppys
-Jogging stroller - I got the InStep Double Safari (Yes.... I have 3 strollers!)
-Crock pot for warming bottles. Just leave it plugged in all the time and set to "keep warm" (I pump.... so my babies are bottle fed breastmilk)
April 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Super Mommy
We have a bebe pod and I don't think they are any different from bumbos.

Visit my blog

</div>
April 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm still a new mom, but here are mine

If you plan on breastfeeding, ge the EZ2Nurse nursing pillow. It is the BEST!

Newborn Loungers by Boppy. These are better than the Boppy pillow right now because mine are way too small for the regular Boppy. I put them in this and bottle feed them at the same time - they are at the perfect angle and don't roll anywhere!

as for bottles, don't stock up too much or keep the receipts! You have to use what you and your babies like. When we first brought them home, we used Dr. Brown's preemie sized bottles. Now we are using Playtex Ventaire and Dr. Brown's. As soon as Dr. Brown's puts out their BPA free bottle, we will be getting that.

Snap n Go stroller!!! Car seats fit in it, very easy and light! We also got the Maclaren Twin Techno side by side for later. I LOVE it!

We will also be getting a jogging stroller, probably the InStep one.

SwaddleMe. These are much easier than actually doing a swaddle, plus I had a hard time finding any blankets big enough for swaddling. These are easy to use and quick, which is important when you have 2 screaming babies! Oh the Halo sleep sacks w/ swaddle are good too.

swing, bouncy seat. I actually have 2 bouncys - rainforest and the boppy one. The boppy one is good for Maya because she is small and only fits in that one. Sofia loves the swing.

April 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Thank you, ladies!!!! I have some stuff to pick up!!!

April 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
I agree with the others about the stroller. The duoglider is horrible when your twins get a little bigger. Its bulky and cumbersome to push and my twins would harass each other. the one in the back would lean forward and beat up the one in the front.

I would say stock up on Boppy pillows. I had four of them. I stocked up on them at consignment shops. They were so useful for feeding the twins, sitting up, napping, etc. They were a lifesaver.

And this sounds dumb but buy a Notebook. You will need to keep track of feedings, naps, diapers, etc....and its so much easier to have it in a notebook....
April 22nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
mighttyjomomma
Yes about the notebook, because your docs WILL ask questions like "How often do they feed, how long, how many wet diapers, how many poops..." etc etc. And it's handy for any questions you might need to jot down or if you're keeping track of their weights and heights at doctor appointments - great suggestion!

I also agree about the Snap n Go, I can't believe I forgot to mention this! I seriously think this was the best invention ever for twin moms.. it's so light and easy to fold/unfold and the carseats just snap right in! I'm sticking to my guns on the side by side stroller for later!
April 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
gregorystwinsisters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to gregorystwinsisters Send a message via Yahoo to gregorystwinsisters
Quote:
Yes about the notebook, because your docs WILL ask questions like "How often do they feed, how long, how many wet diapers, how many poops..." etc etc. And it's handy for any questions you might need to jot down or if you're keeping track of their weights and heights at doctor appointments - great suggestion!

I also agree about the Snap n Go, I can't believe I forgot to mention this! I seriously think this was the best invention ever for twin moms.. it's so light and easy to fold/unfold and the carseats just snap right in! I'm sticking to my guns on the side by side stroller for later! [/b]

Yea I had a two subject notebook, one section for each baby. The doc would ask me questions such as how much they ate, how often, how many diapers, etc....and it was so much easier to check my notebook than it was to try to remember in my sleep deprived state. I stopped using it when they turned a year and were off of baby food and formula.
April 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yes the notebook!!!! We write down everything - time of feeding, how much they ate, if they had a poop or pee (and if it is poop, what it looked like) and we have a spot for notes where I put if Maya has spit up or if they are fussy, etc.

April 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
When you guys say notebook, do you mean like a three ringed binder or like a college lined paper notebook?? I'd love to know how you organize it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search