Log In Sign Up

C-section mommas....

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Posts: n/a
Okay I am more then likely looking at a c-section...not happy about it but I am okay with it if you know what I mean. Cole (baby A) is head down and ready to go...Corbin (baby B) is breech not an issue in and of itself but he is bigger then Cole...so OB doesn't think it is worth the risk...and I agree. We won't make a final choice until after my next growth scan on the 24th.

So for those that have had a c-section...please share your experiences...the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...it is all fine. Mainly how was it in the hospital and taking care of babies.

Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 985
I obviously have no experience with the afterwards with twins in the hospital but I had a c-section with my son because he was breech..

It actually wasn't that bad. they prepped me, sent me down, DS's dad had to wait outside for the spinal block but came in right after they were done. He sat by me the whole time. They let me know when they made the first incision and i was shocked because I literally felt nothing. after that there's some pressure and some jiggling around. I actually laughed a lot because it was such a strange feeling lol I went in at 12:30pm and was he was out at 12:50. I was able to see him and get some pics with him and his dad then they wheeled him away, his dad went with him, when they put me back together.. after that they wheeled me next door to the recovery room which was a small room and my ex met me back down there. I sat in there for 2 hours while the nurse checked my incision and bleeding every 20mins. it sucked but they make sure you aren't hemoraging and stuff.. Again I laughed histarically when the nurse checked me because my legs were completely numb, she would come and move my leg and I could see it moving but felt NOTHING haha it was such a WEIRD sensation haha I kept the mood light..

So the only thing I had an issue with was that my son was missing after they wheeled me back to my room.. well not missing but I didn't see him for 4 hours. Not because he had issues, he was perfectly healthy. They just didn't bring him back to me until my mom hunted someone down. this time, unless the babies are in the nicu, I will be asking for them right away.

The recovery wasn't fun. once my feeling came back, which was about 24hrs later, they took my cathader out and i had to get up and try to use the bathroom. that was pretty painful but not deadly.. They have you on a clear fluid diet until you pass gas, which sucked lol so you can imagine my excitement when i farted a day later! haha then they told me that having a bowl movement might be really difficult and painful... nope, mine was totally normal. I lucked out!
oh I should add I had the disolvable stitches instead of staples and THAT was AMAZING! They helped the recovery sooo much.. I was in the hospital from wednesday morning until saturday evening.

once I got home, I was on percocet and naproxen. I think i only took them for a week though. I was in pain but i think after a few weeks it was fine. I was planted on the couch or in bed most of the time. Moving around hurts though, using those stomach muscles you don't realize you use all the time. just sitting up was painful, I used my arms A LOT!

hmm I think i covered everything I can think of.. I'm a little anxious about this time though, the worst part i think was the spinal block, I am really nervous about that part and recovery, and having to take care of 2 nbs and my 2yr old afterwards.. but everything else I'm ok with...

Good luck though if you DO have to have a c-section!

OH ETA: My ex didn't spend the nights with me in the hospital (ya I wasn't happy, my SO now says he definitely wont leave me, i'm excited about not being left a lone) so they wouldn't let Hayden stay with me at night since I couldn't move if something happened. So the nurses had to bring him in every few hours for feeding and take him back. THAT was hard! This time I will have SO to help at least so I will have these babies in the room with me at all times as long as they are ok and not in the nicu..
Mommy to Hayden (4/15/09) and...

Last edited by Alternamom; May 17th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,036
I have a question...is it difficult to breathe when you are laying on the operating table? I know how my singleton babies made me feel like I was suffocating if I lay on my back in bed so I can't imagine being laid down like that with two babies pressing down on me. That is my biggest concern (well, that and ending up with a c/s which my OB is already pushing ).
One-time "I'm NEVER having kids!" woman to mama of 11. Love living the beautiful life I thought I never wanted. ♥

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 12,946
My csection experience was awesome. DH and my mom had to stay out of the OR until my spinal was done. I had asked my OB early on if it was okay to have both in the room. She was familiar with the anesthesiologists who would be working on me and said she would make sure whoever it was did not have a problem with that.

I did not feel the spinal at all. The anesthesiologist must have been amazing. He checked to make sure I was numb, but I could still feel something, so they gave it another minute and then I felt nothing. I couldn't feel any of the pulling sensations people talk about. I only knew they had started because of the smell.

My kiddos were pulled out a minute apart. I don't remember when they started, but it was really fast. My doctor showed me both babies before they were taken to be weighed and cleaned off. Within minutes, DH was holding both and brought them over for me to see up close. I was sewn back together, given both babies, and then wheeled to the recovery room. Once there, the nurses asked if I planned on breastfeeding or formula feeding. I was able to breastfeed both babies within an hour of their birth. That was really important to me. I missed the direct skin to skin contact right after they were born, but I don't feel like I was cheated since the hospital staff was so pro-breastfeeding and was so helpful.

I don't know how much time I spent in recovery, but DH and my mom took a bunch of videos and photos. We weren't supposed to take video during the birth, but my mom did on accident. Once I was done in the recovery room, I was wheeled to my room holding both babies. We got to my room and allowed some family to come visit.

The worst part of the csection was nurses checking on me so often during the first night. I was exhausted from being in labor and not sleeping the night before. I just wanted to be left alone. My pulse ox indicator was set too high and every time I started to fall asleep it would go off as my O2 levels dropped, which was normal. I had to ring for a nurse a couple times to get one to come in and readjust the monitor so it wouldn't ring at that level.

My kids were born at 6:00 pm. The next morning I had my cath out and was up and walking by 9:00 am. I would have been up earlier if they let me, but I had to wait for someone to remove the cath. My legs were not swollen before the delivery, but they were huge the day after. That took a few days to go away. My incision was not comfortable, but I took the pain meds they allowed and I was okay. By the time I left the hospital, I wasn't even taking tylenol. I had a prescription for something, but it had started to make me loopy in the hospital, so I never filled it.

My delivery was far from the unmedicated birth I wanted, but overall it was a great experience. I did not want a csection, but I am so glad that I had one. Baby B was bigger than A and had refused to flip the entire pregnancy. I tried everything to get her to flip. When they pulled her out, she was sitting cross legged on my hip and was really jammed in there. I highly doubt she would have flipped over into launch position. She also took a breath and then needed a lot of encouragement to take another. She didn't seem to have any fluid in her lungs, she just wasn't sure what to do.

My scar is pretty small from the csection. It hurts randomly now, but nothing really painful, just more annoying. I have numbness above it, but none below it.

I don't think I would say that there was any bad or ugly with my csection, but I had no complications.

I don't know what it's like to take care of 1 infant. Taking care of 2 in the hospital wasn't bad. My DH was there to help most of the time. When he wasn't, it was still manageable. I was just slower taking care of them because I couldn't move fast. A lot of twins, or any baby born early, seem to be extra sleepy in the beginning. They tend to sleep too much and need to be woken to eat. That tends to change right around their due date.

Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ View Post
I have a question...is it difficult to breathe when you are laying on the operating table? I know how my singleton babies made me feel like I was suffocating if I lay on my back in bed so I can't imagine being laid down like that with two babies pressing down on me. That is my biggest concern (well, that and ending up with a c/s which my OB is already pushing ).
All I felt on the table was sudden relief when they took the first baby out. I could finally breath.

I can't believe your OB is already pushing for a csection. Mine even did an u/s the day of my csection to make sure they hadn't flipped. She did not want to do a csection of she didn't need to. She also said that she'd be much more willing to deliver them vaginally (with A head down adn B breach) if I'd had at least one other pregnancy since my uterus and abdominal muscles would be more likely to let baby B flip or at least be turned if need be.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,036
I can't believe your OB is already pushing for a csection.
She has the highest c/s rate in town due to being ultra conservative. I may not even be delivering up here so will try to find a specialist who will consider letting Baby B turn if need be.
One-time "I'm NEVER having kids!" woman to mama of 11. Love living the beautiful life I thought I never wanted. ♥

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,245
I'm not against c-sections at all. Actually am glad I had both of mine because the recovery wasn't that bad. With the twins it was nice to know I could schedule my date even though my water broke. It was nice going into the hospital that morning and having the surgery and having the babies an hour later. No pushing and all that. It was just over and done with.

With DD I developed pre-e and had to go to the hospital with my 24 hr collection Mon am. I stayed at L&D testing for a NST while waiting for the results. Once the results came back high they sent me to my OB who checked my cervix and I wasn't dilated. She sent me back to the hospital to have the cervidil placed for my induction on Tues am. At that time I was told I wasn't allowed to eat until after I had DD so I hadn't eaten since Monday. I was induced Tuesday am and nothing happened all day. Leah wasn't dropping at all so by 2am on Wed I went in for an emg c/s. Turns out the cord was wrapped around her so she wasn't dropping at all. I think because I was in the hospital so long waiting for labor and not being able to eat it made me so tired so after the c/s I was miserable from being tired and then taking care of DD. DH was so helpful so I didn't have to do much. After they removed my follie I didn't get up right away to pee so I let my bladder get too full so when I got up if felt like someone had stabbed me. So my best advice is to make sure you get up as soon as they remove it to pee. Walk around the halls as much as you can to get back into the swing of things. I was walking the halls to NICU 24 hrs after surgery and not in any pain. I never took anything for pain except Motrin. Also, have your OB prescribe you a band for support and wear it at all times for a few weeks afterwards. It will really help you.

Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SB, California
Posts: 1,280
My c-section was a good experience. I had one scheduled for 38 weeks but only made it to 36 weeks. I was most afraid of the spinal but I didn't feel anything. My DH can in about a minute after my spinal was done and held my hand the whole time. I feel like everything was over very quickly. Before I knew it I had two new babies! I had GD with my twin pregnancy and as soon as my son was delivered my blood sugar dropped. I had blurred vision and a pounding headache so they pumped me full of sugar and I was fine. It was a little scary but it was over quickly. I was starving after my section and bummed to be on liquids for 2 days. I definitely could have gone for a cheeseburger!
I was in the most pain the day after and just stared at the nurses in disbelief when they told me it was best to get up and walk! I was in the hospital for 5 days and by the time I got home I was able to move around fairly well. I still had pain but could care for the twins on my own as long as I rested between tasks. My DH and mom were an amazing help to me and key to my recovery. Take all the help you can so you can rest and recover.

Reply With Quote
May 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan United States
Posts: 2,890
We were going to have a c-section because of Madison having the Diaphragmatic Hernia. We wanted to have all Doctors their and ready for the girls. As it turned out they came at 28 weeks because I developed severe HELLP Syndrome. My blood platelets were extremely low and kidneys and liver were shutting down. They put me completely under. I woke up in recovery. The worst part was my throat from having been completely out. I was on a morphine drip overnight. I had a cath for the next day. They did have me get up and go see the girls by wheel chair. I still had the morphine pump until that afternoon. I got sick and they switched meds. That was the worse pain of puking with a c-section. The next day the cath and ivs came out. I could shower and start moving a bit. I was in the hospital from Wednesday and went home Saturday. I took motrin after going home. I barely took it. The c-section was not to bad. I got around pretty good. I have a very high pain tolerance. I know I did way too much. I did have a minor setback when Madison was doing bad and we thought we were going to lose her. I had a lot of physical pain and a lot of that was lack of sleep. i only have a small scar from the c-section. i hate that it is still a sensitive area. I hate when DH touches it. It has been over 3 1/2 years.
Reply With Quote
May 18th, 2011, 06:45 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,558
I also had one scheduled for 38 weeks but they took them at 36 weeks. I found it very hard to breathe on the table. Felt like I was going to suffocate. At Mercy they made me wait 24 hours to get my cath out and I couldn't walk until then. It wasn't that bad since I made sure I kept up on my pain meds. Def needed more than motrin. Wasn't that bad caring for the twins after we were home. We had no help and managed just fine. on the 2nd day back from the hospital my back started hurting. It got progressively worse but I kinda blew it off. on the 5th day home I told my parents in the morning I thought i had a kidney infection. By 7 that night Nate had to take me to the ER. Turned out I had an infection in my uterus that spread to my bladder and kidneys. I had to spend another 3 days in the hospital. That was the only thing that was really bad about it.

Reply With Quote
May 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,923
I had a c-section for the same reason you are, Baby B was estimated to be at least a lb bigger (although he was only 8oz) In hindsight I was I would have pushed for a vaginal delivery more but I was so tired and done, I didn't really care. The actual surgery wasn't too bad, I vomited a couple times when my BP dropped low and they had to really push and pull to get Rhys out, but like Valerie said I was immediately able to breathe once the boys were out.
I second getting up early, they actually took my catheter out while I was sitting on the toilet so I could pee immediately. I wasn't prepared for how much vaginal bleeding I had which was considerably more than my vaginal delivery. I definitely needed the pain meds, I went for 10hrs without once just to prove to myself I wasn't a wimp and it was horrible...pain meds just made everything tolerable.
Good Luck!!!
Jen, mom to Danika 6, and twins Owen & Rhys 3 (how did that happen!?!)

Reply With Quote
May 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,373
I ended up with a c-section because my baby A was breech and B was transverse. My recovery wasn't bad at all. The surgery on the other hand, was a different story. The anesthesiologist inserted my spinal too high and I ended up being numb from my face down. My eyes even had trouble staying open and at one point my arm (that was strapped to the table) fell OFF the table because I was too relaxed and numb. I felt nothing. I couldn't feel my head, my arms, my legs, my body, anything. I didn't even know the girls were out until I saw DH head to the next room to check them out. BUT my recovery was wonderful. I was up and moving around after 4 hours. The key is to get up as SOON AS YOU CAN. As much as you want to lay around, don't do it. Getting up made me feel better. Also take your pain meds on time.

Try not to worry about the c-section. The end result is the most important.
Reply With Quote
May 19th, 2011, 01:15 PM
tgc219's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 885
My c-section was fine. Baby A was head down, but baby B was breach. We had it scheduled for 38 weeks so I didn't go into labor or anything. The spinal was awesome, barely felt the little prick to numb the area. I was numb from the chest down and only felt a little bit of pressure while they were performing the c-section. It was definitely weird feeling, but not in a bad way. The meds did make me shiver uncontrollably though. Surgery started at 11:57am, baby A was out at 12:03 and baby B at 12:05. It took them longer to stitch me up. I also had the dissolving stitches. I think I had feeling back later that evening and as soon as I did, they had me up and walking. It was pretty painful to sit up or get out of bed, but it's definitely a good thing to stretch and move around. You'll be glad you did it in the end. And definitely take your pain meds regularly. They helped me a ton! I was on them for about 10 days and then I was pretty good. The recovery time wasn't bad at all I don't think. I was about to eat and drink whatever I wanted after surgery but they did ask if I had passed gas (which took a day) or had a bowel movement (that didn't happen for 5 days!) every time they checked on me which was pretty often. All of that checking is for your own good though. I had my babies spend the night in the nursery so that I could try to sleep, but I think the longest I slept was 45 minutes at a time. Once one baby was fed, they would bring the other in about a 1/2 hour later. It was pretty exhausting! We all went home 3 days after they were born and that was a little easier.

I'm sure everything will be fine for you! It's definitely survivable! Obviously Good luck!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
May 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,245
I forgot to mention to ask them to give you something to help you have a BM after surgery. It will make you feel so much better. Also, you can't eat anything until after you pass gas and this will help you pass it too.

Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
My twins were my 2nd c-section. With my first pregnancy, my recovery was a lot harder for some reason. With the twins, I delivered at 9 pm and was up cleaning my room the next morning. I had minimal pain. I liked the spinal a lot better than the epidural. It didn't give me a headache. I had the babies go to the nursery once or twice so I could sleep, but other than that, I had no problem taking care of them.
Mom to:
Quinn - 10
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,751
I guess I am the only one who had a horrible experience. I had a c-section because my daughter (baby b was breech and had her foot wedged between my son's head and my pelvis so he couldn't drop. Anyway, I hate to give you the ugly but since it seems rare I guess I will. I had one and did feel like I couldn't breathe. I think I had a panic attack on the table too from not being able to breath and the pressure I felt with her trying to get the babies out. I also ended up with a spinal headache. I didn't get the patch to fix it because I had such a traumatic experience with the delivery. I was freaked out. Then I bled for 13 weeks. At 13 weeks they did a D&C to get the bleeding to stop because they left a little behind. So it seems everything that could go wrong (besides the obvious worse of dieing and all) did go wrong. I didn't have a problem walking too much. I was super sore, but I can live with that. The bleeding for so long made my energy VERY low. I hated it, but have heard from so many people that it was great for them. I also should throw out there that I had and AMAZING vaginal delivery with DD1 so my hating it could be partly due to that. Sorry to be the Debbie downer.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0