My rainbow baby :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)

Here is my little man, at 34 weeks 4 days. We had a growth scan and he is TOTALLY AVERAGE!!! 5lbs 11oz, which is the 61st percentile for size. His amniotic fluid index is 16, which is also totally average. That means that my blood glucose control is absolutely perfect. I spend a lot of time guilting myself about it, convinced I'm doing it all wrong, but it's nice to have proof that I am in fact doing it right.

The ultrasound went great, the little bit of extra fluid in his tummy last time was gone, meaning that last time he just took a big gulp during the u/s. His kidneys look GREAT, so does everything else in fact. He was kicking his own umbilical cord, like last time, and just like EVERY u/s, that blob in front of his face is his foot. He was active and wiggly, which is characteristic of him at this point.

And he's HEAD DOWN!!!! Woohoo, he figured it out! He is also NOT sunny side up currently, but he goes back and forth every day or so, and since I'm having an epidural I'm not too concerned about it. My doctor says that as long as he's head down, that's what matters.

We have another growth scan in 4 weeks- if I haven't delivered yet that is! He seems pretty comfortable though, I think he's going to stay in there until we kick him out, sometime around May 14th.

I had my baby shower Sunday, and I am overwhelmed by the generosity of my family and friends. This kid now has one of EVERYTHING!!! And Grant and I were just surrounded by love, it was really wonderful. He is one loved baby

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 14th, 2010, 04:56 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great news!!!!

If he is posterior when it is time to push and you have an epidural it may be very difficult or even impossible for him to descend. Posterior positioning has lead to many c-sections. One of the best things for a posterior baby is hands and knees positioning for mom during labor, which is very difficult if you have an epidural.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Hi little guy!!
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08 | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.17.18.

April 14th, 2010, 07:23 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
Rebecca, that sounds like one great appointment and I'm so happy to hear that. Grant looks beautiful and happy. I can't wait for you to meet him.

April 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Excellent news, Rebecca! Can't wait to meet the little guy

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
April 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys! Ethan was so skinny, it's weird to see how squishy Grant is. It's really such a different experience. Every single u/s I am anxious about his fluid levels, and even 30 days from his delivery date I still cry when I see his kidneys. Given how messed up Ethan's kidneys and intestines were, I think I may actually be looking forward to changing diapers.

As for positioning, I can keep trying to spin him face down, but if he wants to spin himself back sunny side up like he has been, there's really not much I can do about it. He very clearly has a mind of his own at this point!

April 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Proud Momma
Great to hear and cute pics! I can't believe how fast your pregnancy is going!

Btw, Rachel was slightly posterior. They were able to flip her so she was anterior when she was very low in the birth canal. It puts a LOT more pain and pressure on your lower back when they're posterior (which I'm sure you know). Hopefully he'll turn around by himself!

So excited to "meet" Grant!
April 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
If he is posterior when it is time to push and you have an epidural it may be very difficult or even impossible for him to descend. Posterior positioning has lead to many c-sections. One of the best things for a posterior baby is hands and knees positioning for mom during labor, which is very difficult if you have an epidural.
This comment has been eating away at me. I am tired of being made to feel bad for not having a natural birth. I don't WANT a natural birth. Quite frankly, I don't CARE how this kid comes out. Wanna see my birth plan?

1. Give birth to a living child.
2. Be conscious during the delivery

And that last part is negotiable. If Grant wants to come out posterior, that;s fine, it's his birth. If he wants to come out via c-section, that is fine too. I trust my doctor when she says that things need to go a certain way. I trust her when she says an induction at 39 weeks is necessary. In fact, I trusted her when she told me that despite not knowing why, my son could not live. That's a pretty big leap of faith I took, inducing delivery for a baby who was struggling but alive without knowing why he was so very sick. And my doctor was RIGHT. Ethan had no kidneys and could not survive.

So I trust my doctor now. I'm having a birth that is heavy on interventions, and that is fine with me. I WANT an epidural.

And I am so sick of hearing how I'm wrong for that. Your comment just adds to it. If he is posterior, stressing out is not going to change that. I have spent 4 weeks CONSTANTLY WORRIED that he wouldn't turn head down, I am not doing that about being posterior. I could try to spin him, but he spins this way and that every day, he's clearly going to do what he wants anyway.

My last birth was a painful induction that ended the life of my son. I do not need you to scare me about this birth too.

April 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
You know, I'm not being fair by jumping on you Meghan. I really should direct that post to all the people who have been yapping at me these last nine months, they are the reason I snapped.

Sorry about that, that comment really isn't directed at you I swear.

April 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
From re-reading my response I can see that I was not judgemental at all, I just stated a fact. Getting an epidural with a malpositioned baby is more likely to result in a surgical intervention. I never said you shouldn't get an epidural. I never said NCB was better, just stated the fact that having an epidural on board can make it difficult to deliver a posterior baby vaginally.

As I said on FB, since I read that before coming back here to see if I was the one that offended you. I think knowing all possibilities is important, including what might happen if you need a c-section, and things you can do to make it a good experience.

Here is a link to family centered cesarean, things you might not think of that can help improve your experience. Making a Cesarean Birth Plan | Articles | Pregnancy Today

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I appreciate the link quite a bit, and I'm sorry I snapped at you. I guess because I have been getting so much judgment from others that I read judgment into your comment that wasn't actually there.

I'm sorry for snapping at you.

April 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I guess we posted at the same time...lol. I saw you mentioned the risk of high BP on FB. Since you know you might need the surgery when the time comes doing things to make it more enjoyable, like writing a birth plan for it is really a good idea.

Things like being allowed to have a hand free so you can touch the baby. Not allowing them to have inane conversations. And ESPECIALLY not allowing students or interns in teh room if you have to be put under, I heard horror stories about what they do to women then....eek!!!!! Even having one of your support people in the room if you have to be put under is a good idea. Grant deserves to have an aware person that loves him there when he is born, not jus tthe docs and nurses.

Sail Back to Me
April 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs*

HOLY SH**!! OMG!! He's almost ready! DH wants to know if your oven timer has popped yet? LOL (ok. He's sick. He thinks of our belly buttons as the pop up thingy in a butter ball turkey. Thank GOD mine never pops out or he'd ride my a** over it. LOL)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Baby time!!!
April 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's so close!

Cammie was posterior and I had no back labor and pushed 4 times and she was here.

You can do it!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

April 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Just have to say, Patrick was posterior and and I was in labor for 13 hours. I had only dilated to 4.5cms when I got my epidural, and he was born 4 1/2 hours later. So 8 1/2 hours got me 4.5 cms and I did 5.5 cms in half that time after the epidural.

Truth is, maternal stress can actually inhibit labor too. The cervix can actually close from stress (happened for my sister, she went from 9cms to 5cms). In my case, the relief from the pain helped me open up. So it really depends on the woman.

I'm so excited to see pictures of Grant, Rebecca!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search