Popularity vs. Trendy

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I decided a while ago that I really don't care about popularity. I won't name my child something that's super popular around me, but nation wide popularity has no bearing on my name choices. Granted, I do still prefer the uncommon, "weird" names, but I wouldn't refuse Emily if I liked it enough.

Trendy, on the other hand.. I'm not big into trendy. The current trends I see in girl names are -lee and -lyn, so I shy away from any names with those endings. I prefer Madeline and Michaela to Madelyn and Kaylee.

Using surnames seems to be a trend on both genders, and so I shy away from those too. Not because I think -son names are too masculine for girls (I really don't), but I just don't wanna follow a trend that might die and leave my child's name feeling dated.

What are your thoughts on trends and popularity?

Oh, disclaimer: I wasn't trying to stab anyone who used a surname or a a -lyn name or anything. I think A LOT of those names are really quite lovely, they just aren't my style for previously stated reasons.
August 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I try and completely steer clear of popular names....which often includes the trendy names. All of the trendy "aiden" and "lyn" names are popular at the moment so they are off my list as well. If I DO find an uncommon name that is trendy sounding....I decide if it feels too much like a name that will likely gain popularity and then make my decision.
expecting #2 March 2017

August 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I pretty much agree.

I am, however, very much concerned with popularity, lol. We strictly will NOT use a name in the top 100, preferably not even the top 500. I don't mind classics (names that have always been popular... Elizabeth, William, Michael, Charles, Edward, Margaret, Mary, etc etc), but I still wouldn't use them. I'm more likely to use a not-so-popular (but legitimate) FORM of the name though.

You're right that there's definitely a difference between a popular name and a trendy name. Trendy names are the ones that become much more dated. Many of them are also made up, or kree8tyvve spellings, or certain surnames, etc etc. These are definitely not my style. And even if a name isn't in the top 100, but it follows a really popular trend, I'm more inclined not to use it. Just because a name itself isn't popular, doesn't mean it doesn't follow a popular trend, and it will likely get lumped in with the ones that *are* popular. Like, Xayden... it's certainly not popular, lol... but it is when you lump it in with all the -ayden names.

I think the problem with a lot of trendy names is that someone will choose a name, thinking it's "unique" (afterall, it's not in the top 100... or even the top 1000), only to find out that their name sounds almost exactly like a bunch of other kids at school, who's parents thought their kids' names were "unique" too.

As someone who loves unique, uncommon, and unusual names (the three U's, lol), I like to keep up on popularity *as well as* naming trends. If others are not concerned with popularity or trendiness or "unique" names... then stuff like this wouldn't really concern them. But to me personally... it does. Everyone has their own style.
August 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't seem to really be bothered by popularity or trendiness. In fact, those are usually the names I use (ie Coleman, Emmalyn, ). But (except for my oldest) we didn't just come up w/ their names randomly either. My Dh is concerned about popularity (he has no idea about trendiness), he feels like we should have a right to the name we choose. In other words, if its located on our family tree then it's ok if it's in the Top 5. We do tend to "tweak" some of the names alittle which does result in a trendy look, I guess.
Examples of the ones we tweaked,
Emmeline-Emmalyn
Sharleen/Elise-Sharlise
Luke-Lucas
Alphaeus-Alton (happened by mistake, LOL!)
Isabell/Isbell/Belle-Isabel

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

August 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't think tweaking always makes them trendy. I think that there are a lot of names right now that seems to have the same sound.. Niamh mentioned the Aiden names, then there's ones like Brinley, Linley, Kinley -- all of which I like (well, not Linley), but just couldn't use.

My kids' names are popular, but I don't think they're trendy. I do think Lauren is somewhat dated to the 80s, but eh.. what can ya do when it fits them so completely?

Everyone DOES have their own style, and I'm very glad of that. Otherwise we'd all like the same names and people like Niamh and Tenille would have nameless children.
August 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I don't like trendy names that sound made up; but I like quite a few trends right now. Names that were popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries is my favorite trend. I also like a few -son names on boys - Harrison, Jameson, and Jackson - and other surnames as fns. I also like a couple -lyn names - Katelyn is my fave spelling of that name and Jocelyn is in my top 4 girl names. I'm not a fan of the -iaden trend. Those names are just nms.

Ideally, I would like to stay away from the trends because the names will be dated one day.....however, I just love, love, love the old names. Yes, some of them are traditional and will probably be in the top 50 for some time - like, say Jack - but some of the others I think will only be big for 10-20 years. And, that will really date them to my kids' generation.
August 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I don't think tweaking always makes them trendy. I think that there are a lot of names right now that seems to have the same sound.. Niamh mentioned the Aiden names, then there's ones like Brinley, Linley, Kinley -- all of which I like (well, not Linley), but just couldn't use.

My kids' names are popular, but I don't think they're trendy. I do think Lauren is somewhat dated to the 80s, but eh.. what can ya do when it fits them so completely?

Everyone DOES have their own style, and I'm very glad of that. Otherwise we'd all like the same names and people like Niamh and Tenille would have nameless children.
funny but true
expecting #2 March 2017

August 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i dont mind popularity as long as its a solid name...so kind of like you if i like it enough I will use it. we have 3 names picked out for a girl and 2 are in the top 25 which i dont like but i like the names well enough to get over it.

Trendy, i dont pay attention to the little trends but there are a few names that totally rub me the wrong way cause they are soooo trendy but its just a few names that really get to me

like Aiden....I actually really really like this name but its gotten beyond popular to trendy and it bugs me...which is too bad cause its a quite handsome name

and Neveah....Im pretty religious so i should like it but all i think when i hear or see this name is "thats heaven spelled backwards" and i dont really want to have to overthink when i hear or see a name thats just me though.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

August 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
lol... nah... if the trendy names were the only ones that existed... I'd go with Aidan. I've actually always liked it, but wouldn't use it because of the popularity/trendiness. And probably Caitlin for a girl (despite it being the original form of Kathleen, which happens to be my husband's ex-fiance's name )... or Isobel.

There are popular/trendy names I actually DO like, I just wouldn't use them, unless I had to, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search