Mammograms

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Mammograms
Yes 5 41.67%
No 6 50.00%
I don't know. 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Just curious. I've asked for a mammogram several times over the years, but all doctors tell me the same thing... I'm too young and have too much fatty tissue to get a good picture. They won't do it. I'm 30 and have very large breasts. Physical exam hasn't revealed any lumps, but it would still be nice to get a mammogram anyway. There is a history of breast cancer in my family. Just curious what experiences you've had. Do you feel that age/size makes a difference in the availability of testing or the accuracy of results?
November 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I've not had any yet - being only 23, I'm a bit young yet, I think the doctors would laugh at me. However, since I'm adopted and don't know if there is any breast cancer in my blood family, I'm planning on starting early if I can, probably around 30. Just to be safe, I'd rather have a little inconvenience. That sucks that your doctor won't do it for you!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
November 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had one and am scared to death No history here, but I will probably wait until I am told to have one. I think you should be able to get one anytime because of the prevalance of the disease

November 17th, 2006, 06:06 AM
michelle5971's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to michelle5971 Send a message via Yahoo to michelle5971
I found a lump last October, just 2 weeks after we got married. I was 34 y/o. I tried to tell myself it was just my imagination but I went to my Dr any way to make sure. I knew it was real I could feel it, I was just really scared. She comfirmed it was there and had me go get a mamogram and ultrasound done. It wasn't as painful as everyone makes it out to be. The fear is the worst part. I am small chested so there really isn't much there for the machine to "grab". It was incomfortable but not too bad. They said it was not cancer. I do need to go back because I found 2 more but I am suposed to get one every year now...they just sent me a reminder last week.
Quote:
I think you should be able to get one anytime because of the prevalance of the disease[/b]
I agree. I think it should be a woman's choice if she wants to have one when she's in her 20's. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything I wouldn't think.

Loving wife to Jeff

Mom to Brian 19, Rachel 17, Brandon 9 and Jordon 7

Stepmom to Danielle 23, Dallas 14, and Jacob 10

November 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Super Mommy
It is not more difficult if you have large breasts .... those ###### machines squeeze so hard they made my boobs look like pancakes and I'm an F cup. My doc found a lump (I'm 21) and he said because there was history of it in my family he asked me to get a mammogram it turned out fine. I just had a cyst. I am supposed to go every year once I turn thirty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search