Log In Sign Up

Noah James' story

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
lmarie13's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 622
I am new here, I joined just a couple of days before I went into pre-term labor. That's how I found this board actually. I was looking for message boards that had information on labor pain, etc. I was induced with my daughter so I had no idea.

Anyways. Noah James came at 36 weeks on September 13th. He was born at 6:38pm and weighed 6lb 12oz and was 19 inches long. I started feeling labor pains strong on Friday the 12th. I waited through dinner and put my daughter to bed. My husband decided I should go to the hospital long before I did. I just kept saying it was too early. He convinced me around midnight we needed to get ready. We weren't packed or anything, which in hindsight was dumb since our daughter Ava came at 37 weeks. So we packed up and made the 1.5 hour trip to the hospital.

I had a regular OB appt Weds before this and was thin but no dialation. When we got to the hospital I was almost a 4. Since I was pre-term they had me rest first and the contractions didn't stop and because of some health related issues during this pregnancy and with my daughter I was given the choice to try to stop labor with meds or see what would happen naturally. I choose to walk around for a bit to see if I would progress, I was in a lot of pain and didn't want to drive all the way home only to turn around and come back or be stuck having a baby in the car.

I got to 5cm pretty quick so I was admitted. First I had to have IV Penicillin because my GBS was unknown (I was tested Weds but they didn't have the results at the hospital). After two doses of that they broke my water. That was around 2pm. I was given an epidural around 2:30pm but it didn't work, at all. So after trying a bolus dose from the anesthisiologist that didn't work we turned the stupid thing off. I never thought I could do it without IV drugs or an epidural. They started a Pit drip to keep the contractions more consistent. Around 4pm things really starting hurting but nothing I couldn't breathe through. Around 5:30 they came and checked me because of some deceleration in fetal heart tones. I was at 8cm. Around 6pm I told my husband to go get them, I felt pressure. They said okay, but took a few minutes to come in. So then I practically yelled at my husband to tell them to come *right now* I had to push. They came running in, this was around 6:15pm and the nurse didn't even check, she just looked and said don't push don't push. She went running out and back in with the doctor.

After 3 rounds of 3 pushes each with what felt like no pause, Noah James was here. I look back on it and I cannot believe I did it drug free. It was something I had thought about and wanted but truly did not think I had the strength in me to do.

He seemed very purple to me, but he had the cord around his neck so I figured he would pink up. He did initially. But then he was showing signs of respiratory distress, he was retracting very hard and grunting a lot. So he was taken to the nursery first and then at 2:30am he was transferred to the NICU at the larger hospital. Noah spent 9 days in NICU and after 2 rounds of Surfactant, 3 days on a CPAP, 4 days on bili lights and some recouperative rest he is finally home!

My 16 month old daughter Ava is a great big sister. She is so concerned when he cries and tries to help me. I was very worried we would have jealousy issues, but so far she is doing good. She does get a little irritated when Noah gets to go in the sling and not her but that is slowly fading.

Here are a couple of pictures of my little guy:

*thank you mom2*lauryn*jacob* for my adorable siggy!*

Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, natural birthing Mama of 2
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0