Log In Sign Up

Ethan David William

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
4Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 19,432
The morning of Sunday July 6th, 2008 Eric and I had finally gone to bed very late or early depending how you look at it at around 3am, I was in and out of bed at least 4 times from 3am till about 5:30am when I gave up on trying to sleep. At this point I wasn't having contractions, I was having to pee what seemed like every five minutes, no fun. So I decided to watch some TV and also did some things on my laptop. Well by 7am I was having contractions probably about 5 to 7 mins apart (I wasn't timing them cause I wasn't 100% sure if they were contractions or not). Eric is still asleep and at 7:45am I decided to take a shower. After I had the shower my contractions were about 2 mins apart and I was having to stop each time I had one, they were also making me feel hot, light headed and nauseas. So I decided it was time to wake up Eric this is about 8:30am. I go into the bedroom and sat on the side of the bed. I said to Eric “I think you need to get up!” He says “Why?” I tell him “Cause I have been awake since 5:30am and think its unfair that your still sleeping.” He looked at me like I was nuts and then I told him “I have been having contractions” So he asked if I was timing them, I said not really but they are really close together and making me feel sick. What does he do he started to fall back asleep lol. Well I then got up off the bed and ~Gush~ my water breaks just as I was clear of the bed itself. My eye's went wide and all I said was “ My water just broke cause I am pretty darn sure I didn't just pee myself!” That got Eric moving I darted for the bathroom to mkae 100% sure I hadn't pee'd myself and Eric went running to make a coffee lol. I had another quick shower and then we scrambled to gather what we needed and were off to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at about 9:15am. It took me a long time to get to and from the car thanks to the contractions. We were just entering the ER doors when a doctor was outside and says good luck to us. Well I ended up getting a really strong contraction and couldn't walk and this doctor asked if I was ok, I said yes its just a contraction I just need a second. So we finally get up to L&D. The nurse at the desk says to me what makes you think your in labour. Hmmm Lets see I am having contractions and my water broke about an hour ago now. She took me to a labour and delivery suite and hooked me up to an NST. This made me a little mad cause she took forever to to ask the questions she needed to and the whole time she had me strapped to the machine so I couldn't move which made the contractions even worse. Her first question was do I want an epidural, I said I was undecided because I was preferring to not get one. Well by the time she finally finished asking questions and checked me (10am was only 2cm but 75% effaced) and put in my IV since I was GBS+. I decided I needed the epidural. The anestsiologist came in at about 11am, Eric was allowed to stay with me while he did the epidural, The doctor asked me if I had ever been told that my spine is curved and I said no, (the bed was on a bit of an angle cause my nurse was slightly incompetent when it came to making to bed flat) So I know I had my muscles on one side of my back tensed more than the other. But I still plan on getting my back checked out now! So the Doctor gets the epidural in and actually let Eric use the syringe to put the first 2ml (20cc) into the line into my back and also gave him an extra syringe and tubing as a sovenir. From the time I got the epidural till about 2pm my mom Eric and I just chatted away. The nurse came back at about this time to check me and give me my second dose of penicillin at this point I was 4cm dialated and still 75% effaced. The nurse had also brought in some jello and different things that I could drink. Eric had to feed me the Jello because with having the epidural I wasn't allowed to sit up. The nurse said she would be back at about 4pm to check me again. When she came back I was 9cm and completely effaced. She left to call my ob and let her know she needed to get over to the hospital (she was at her office doing paper work). The nusre then came back checked me again to see if I was at 10cm and I was so she said I could start pushing and she also turned down the epidural so I would be able to start feeling the contractions again.

My OB arrived to my room at about 4:45pm, I was still pushing with contractions and the nurses and doctor had eveything ready. Well Ethans heart rate was jumping all over the place so now I was getting threatened that if I don't get him out soon that they will have to do a c-section. (yay thanks freak me out) Dr. MacKinnon ended up deciding to use the vacuum to help get Ethan out, She also gave me an episiotomy (thank goodness for the epidural lol). Finally at 5:04pm Ethan made his appearance. He scored 9 on his 1 min apgar and also 9 on his 5 min apgar test. We tehn found out the reason for his heart rate jumping around so much. His umbilical cord was looped up by his ear (almost a prolapsed cord) so each contraction and push was compressing it and cutting off his blood supply. I have no idea how many stitches I ended up with. Ethan was breastfeeding within his first hour of being on the outside lol. I am feeling pretty good now. My labour lasted about 10hours and I am happy with how everything went other than the epidural part. Oh ya with my epidural I could not feel or even move my left leg whatsoever which was a weird feeling, my right leg just felt very heavy
Ethan was born July 6th 2008 at 5:04pm
Weighing 7lbs 7ozs (3390gms)
Length 49cms
Head Circumference 32.5cms.
When we left the hospital on Tuesday July 8th 2008 Ethan was down to weighing 7lbs ¼ozs


Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0