Log In Sign Up

Alyssa's Birth Story

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Posts: n/a
At my 36 week checkup, the doctor decided to induce me. I had been on bedrest for two weeks b/c I had severe preeclampsia. My blood pressure that day was 193/136. Of course, my appointment was at 10:30 that morning, and I hadn't eaten yet, b/c there was no food (I hadn't been to the store since before I was on bedrest so we had been eating take-out.) She (my OB) told me to go straight home to meet my hubby, since I only lived 5 mins away from the doctor's office. I called hubby and told him to meet me at home. He was home when I got there, so I didn't even get to pack a bag! We started toward the hospital, which was 30 minutes away from our house. Halfway there, Matt's blood sugar started to drop, so he had to stop and get some food, so I had to drive us the rest of the way to the hospital, even though the doc told me to ONLY drive home, and nowhere else. And since I was driving, I still didn't get to eat! We got to the hospital at 11:00, and had to wait in registration until 11:45 before they took me to L&D. At noon, they had me in a bed, had an IV with Pitocin drip going, and had me strapped to the monitors. They then administered antibiotics through my IV, b/c I had tested positive for Group B Strep. Matt called his parents and my parents, and they all came to the hospital (joy! ). They wouldn't let me have food, and they started a catheter, b/c my blood pressure was so high that I wasn't allowed to get up out of the bed to even go to the restroom. They came in and checked me every hour, and no progress. Around 5:00 PM, they came in and broke my water. I IMMEDIATELY started having contractions. They were so strong and fast, that there was only seconds between the end of one and the beginning of the other, and I felt them in my back and stomach. It turns out that they FORGOT to stop my pitocin drip when they were supposed to! The doctor came in and threw a fit, b/c it was still in at 5:30. I immediately asked for pain meds, but I wasn't really dialated that much (only 2cm), so all they could give me was Demerol. I was leary about taking it, but the contractions were so strong that they were causing the fetal monitors to move and fall off, so I gave in and took it. The nurse pushed it through my IV, and I started cracking up laughing. I still felt the contractions, so it didn't help, it just made me act funny. Around 7:00 PM, they came in and gave me an epi. After that, I had no pain or discomfort at all, and started watching tv. Around 9:45, I was fully effaced and dialated, and they prepped me for delivery. So I kicked everyone out but Matt, and they got me into the stirrups. I started pushing around 10:10 PM. During the middle of my first push, my two aunts and one of my friends walked into the room without knocking, and I about jumped out of the stirrups yelling for them to get out! The whole time I was pushing, I watched ESPN, they were airing Gravity games or X games or something, can't remember which one exactly. At 10:45 PM, Alyssa was born. She weighed 7 lbs and 9ozs, and was 21 inches long. I only got to hold her for a minute, and they let Matt' hold her for a minute, and then the pediatrician came in and examined her. He said Alyssa could stay in the room for 20 mins, so we let the grandparents come in and greet her. After they were done, the nurses took her to the NICU, and wheeled me to my room. Matt followed Alyssa to the NICU nursery. I was in my recovery room by 11:30, and our families came with me. around 1:00, the grandparents got tired of waiting and ldecided to leave, but my mom went to Subway and got me a sandwich, so I finally got to eat. Around 2:30 AM, Matt came in, and the nurse wheeled Alyssa in behind him. He stayed with her the whole time, b/c he was afraid to let her out of his sight, which I thought was sweet. She stayed with me until six, and had to go back to the NICU b/c she had a fever.They brought her back around noon, and she was fine. The rest of the weekend was a blur of grandparents, nurses, and random visitors, and two days after she was born, we finally got to go home.
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Posts: n/a
Wow, I hope the next one goes much better for you. Sounds like you did a great job.
Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Posts: n/a
Here is hoping this one ie easier!
Reply With Quote
September 21st, 2004, 09:41 PM
Posts: n/a
i can totally relate to the pitocin not being turned off and thecontrctions only being seconds apart! that sucks but hope it goes better for you this time around!
Reply With Quote
September 24th, 2004, 09:06 AM
christabellz's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 167
Send a message via MSN to christabellz Send a message via Yahoo to christabellz
WOW, what a story!
They actaully LET your aunts and friend in the room? OMG.......
Were is the security in that?

Hope your next one goes a little smoother!

#1-DS 12/13/95
#2-DD 03/17/98
#3-DS-10/09/00~m/c a twin with him

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0