Log In Sign Up

Lukas Phillip Thomas

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,391
Well ladies, my day came with a whole lot of surprises!!!!!

As some of you may have read, my uncles GF predicted i would start labour 3-4 am on monday..

i Had to pee as usual, got up went, laid back down and felt like i had to go #2 at 3:30. I got up but felt constipated. I felt like i HAD TO GO but i couldnt... so i went pee again (lol) and wiped and BOOM huge glob of mucousy stuff with blood and all!!!! I laid down and immidiatly started having contractions. They were about 5-7 minutes apart at this time i think! crampy, mild pain. not that bad. so i just laid down and tried to relax. I came down posted a bit on Jm and would go back up to lay down.

I noticed that everytime i had to pee, sitting on the toilet brought them on worse! so i tried to avoid it lol.
at 5:30 am I called my doula and confirmed to her that i was in labour so if she needed to get anything ready for the day she had some time. I told her i wanted to putz around the house for a bit before going in. '

they were getting more and more intense, I called her to come over around 9:30 i think! as soon as she got here i laid over my ball and she rubbed my back through my contractions. They started to get farther apart again so she made me go for a walk!(how mean ) we got to the end of my fence and i got one, then we got to the garbage can and i got another, i knew this walk would be horrid!!!

well.. a nice 15 minute jaunt around my block turned into a 1 hour walk from hell! about half way, during each contraction my body started to feel like it was pushing down, not like when you push during labour though. but i was freaking out thinking we werent going to make it home.

We got back at around 10:30 and she started packing up her car with my bags! The drive to the hospital was awful. every bump, turn , stop was like torture. we put on my hypno birthing CD and it was calming me down. that is until the woman said " your vaginal opening is pink and healthy" i started to laugh which brought on more contractions and hurt lol... and then my doula said " what would it be black and unhealthy?!" that made me laugh harder. so note, dont laugh during labour!

11:30 am- get into triage and started being monitored. The nurse checked me DURING a contraction and i just about jumped off the bed. but bad news. i was only 3-4 cm and he was sitting high still (wth!). but my contractions were so intense on the monitor she got me a room right away!! i think it was cause i was screaming and possibly scaring first time moms in triage
We walked down the hall (my mother, doula and i) and two feet from my door i get a contraction. i lean over and POP... my water breaks. but they said.. " dont worry, you just peed yourself." i said " ummm no, this is gross and i popped! you dont pop when you pee!"

I got into the shower right away. the nurse asked if i wanted anything for pain. i screamed out that an epidural would be nice! so there went my natural birth!
i kept leaking in the shower with each contraction, but i didnt feel so gross anymore, so that was nice. i got out and got into bed. two seconds later the candy man got there (epi man) he prepped me, three contractions later he was done and ya. the epi hurt pretty bad, i dont remember it hurting that bad with garrett so i was a little surprised. i was crying and shaking, and he was scolding me telling me to stay still.. yeah sure buddy, how bout i give you something to cry about then YOU stay still!!!!

well.. after this i was feeling pretty good.. i could still feel contractions, some i had to breath through and they started getting bad again so the nurse showed me my candy button (epi button) hehee,.... i wish that thing could have been abused but it only let you push it once every ten minutes! soooo...

the nurse came back to check me around 2 i was 3-4 cm... the doc came to check me again aat 3 and i was now 4 solid cm (WOOHOOO ACTIVE LABOUR!), but..... there was an ear presenting, so it seemed like he was trying to come down the canal with his head tilted . She started telling me that if he doesnt turn then a CS would be happening, but she wanted neonatal to come and check it out first cause maybe we could help him move!

they came at about 3:30 and i had gone from 4 to 5-6 cm.. i was progressing nicely. but... she checkeed me and i was bawling. my epi wasnt working, i was puffing on laughing gas to calm down. it was horrible. but good news was that he had turned his head! so he was coming down the canal now!

4:30 pm- I started feeling the contractions again. really bad... the nurse checked me and boom im 8 cm..
she started to prep the room.

5:00 pm- I start to feel all my contractions, BAD and my body was pushing. i couldnt help it. the doc came in and checked me and i was 9.

5:30 pm- i could no longer control the pushing as well.. it hurt and i was trying not too, and crying saying sorry... the nurse checked me and i was 10!!!! so she gets the bed ready, grabs warm water, and a cloth and tells me to push next contraction, dont hold back. I did aand it felt great. on top of that she was do9ing a warm water massage to help with tearing prevention.

i could feel his head coming close and then it would suck back up, very weird feeling BTW. the doctor came in and started helping me. they tied a cloth to the bar in front of me so i could pull up (i had no feeling in my legs or anything so it was hard to move lol) THEN... in between contractions he was turning his head. my mom was looking and watching him move it, she said it looked weird, but it felt weirder lol..

then... the doctor commented on how good i was pushing, but weird thing was, i wasnt pushing. he was, it felt like he was using his legs to push out of me! i just sat there with this look of shock on my gface cause i was alarmed he was doing that. his head finally came out and then came the shoulders. but we heard a pop. his shoulder got stuck on my pelvic bone.
he was born at 6:33 pm, weighing 9 lbs 11 oz. 21 inches long. 14.5 inch head like his brother! lol.. he was grunting alot and so they took him away to the hjeater to check him and pump his lungs ( i guess he had meconium). they kept wispering. i asked the doc what was wrong, so she went and talked to them. they thought he broke his collar bone coming out, so he would be getting an xray!

she got my placenta out, and turns out i teared a bit. just a 1-2 degree tear, very mild.
the doc said that it was the BIGGEST head she had ever delivered, and i was lucky to walk away with only that mild tear. I was only in 3 hours or so of active labour!

anyway... here is the after story.. post partum.. kinda disturbing!

i showered got freshened again. felt great. while i was doing that they did his Xray. then we were moved to my recovery unit. the doc came and told me the Xray came back fine, so chances are i would be sore causehe either did a number on my pelvice, or he mayu have popped his shoulder out and in again. so his shoulder was fine (thank god!)

i requested to be present during his bath that night. so i fed him and then at 11 we rolled him to the nursery. i was asking ?s about baby care since its been a few years for me. and i commented on how fast he was breathing. she came over adn then started timing it... she then called my nurse. she came in they talked and then she called in the neonatal special care unit people. they came in, took his HB, BP and glucose. everything was fine cept his breathing. so they told me they were going to take him and do another Xray on his chest this time just ot be cautious. they would also run some blood work. they said they would come and let me know what was going on, but to try and get some rest.

I went to my room and slept till 3. i was woken by the doctor from the SCU(special care unit) he said that they found the pnemothorax (however its spelt). they explained about it repariing itself and what would have to be done if it didnt. also they told me about the blood test and it taking 48 hours to be cultured and come back. they were testing for infection.

at 7, my nurse came in and said that after breakfast i could go to the SCU and see him. so i went in there at 9. the doctor was just getting to lukes station to check on him as well. iu started bawling cause he was in a tent and had monitors hooked up to him. since his lung had leaked, they needed to give him oxygen cause his blood wasnt keeping oxygenated very well. his numbers were dipping into the 80s (they have to be in the mid 90s)

So all day tuesday i wasnt allowed to touch him. I couldnt hold him or anything. it was so hard.and they were refusing to take down the oxygen! even to test. well.. tuesday night at around midnight the nice nurse came on duty. she said " in a few hours im going to take him out of the tent and try him on room air. even if his numbers go down a bit, i think it would be a good idea if he has snuggle time with mommy, and we could try a feeding if they dont drop too low" i went back to my room to rest and wait for my time to be called. at 3, i got the call to feed him!

i ran down as fast as my poor tear woul.d let me and he was out of the tent, had been for THREE HOURS! and he was doing great!
so yesterday they just kept monitorin and making sure he was doing good!. we still had to wait for the blood test.

This mornin i slept with him and our nurse woke me saying, "we are just going to do his discharge checkup. i mumbvled ok, they took him. i woke up realising what she said and i ran to his little cubicle. the blood test came back fine. he was let out! so we are home!

he is hungry all the time and is doing well with feeding considering he has a tounge tie. he barely crys and is very good. hes calm and collected! i lucked out again i think!

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

Reply With Quote
August 11th, 2006, 08:45 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,576

I couldnt help but notice you said "it felt like he was using his legs to push out of me!" - babies do that!

Chances are your epi wore off in enough time to give him a little energy and he was able to help

Congratulations & Im glad you & your little man are doing well & at home



My BBT Chart

Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

Reply With Quote
August 12th, 2006, 10:24 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,318
What a birth! Congratulations girl! He is so precious.
"I am a midwife. It is not just what I do, it is what I am, and I grow in it."
-Ruth Cobb

Reply With Quote
August 31st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 95
I remember my baby doing tat and saying "She better not be moving up" LOL (on feeling the baby pushing itself out)
Great job momma!
<div align="center"></div>

and our newest addition
Austyn Denise 8.21.06
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0