Log In Sign Up

Nathan Philip's emergency c-section arrival

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 78
Well, by the time I got to 41 weeks 6 days pregnant with my first I was IMPATIENT!!!!! LOL. Anyway, that evening I was having what I thought were Braxton-Hicks- hardening of the belly, but no pain. I kind of watched in fascination for awhile and then went to bed about midnight. I woke up at about 3:00am having to pee and stood up to feel a trickle and saw some blood in my undies. (Sorry- this will probably be choc full of TMIs). Anyway, I woke up dh and put him on standby mode. I started having moderate ctxns, so we both quickly showered at about 5:30 and then left for the hospital about 7:00am. Wouldn't you know it- the ctxns. completely stopped as soon as we got in the car- GRRR!

Anyway, it was determined that I was leaking fluid and since I was 42 weeks, they kept me. (Also, the look on my face when one nurse suggested that I might be sent home may have had something to do with it :-)). I was monitored, then given my own room. It was a brand new birthing center (had just opened two days before) and not all of the rooms were done, so I had a HUGE room that was for people who were expected to have complications (so lots of equipment could fit in there, I guess). So, there I was just hanging out... the monitor said I was having moderate ctxns., but they weren't strong enough to feel! I tried walking.... and walking... and walking. Still nothing. So I agreed to be induced around noon. They gave me Pitocin... nothing.... more Pitocin... nothing. Then they gave me the highest amount they could....

It was 0-60 in 1 second, we'll just say! From then on it felt like just one, huge, never-ending ctxn. SO painful! It would have "peaks and valleys", but there were no real breaks in between. After a few hours I had Stadol. Then when that wore off I had to PUSH. No, I didn't have to... I just WAS! I couldn't help it. I yelled that I had to be at a 10 because I had to push. I was checked by 2 different nurses (because I didn't believe the first one)- I was at 1/2 cm!!!!! No way!!!! Anyway, they were yelling at me not to push, but I had no control over it. I was like that for awhile. I didn't get the epi right away because the pain was so intense that I had just kind of retreated into this part of my brain where I was kind of chanting a grunt over and over- sorry, there's no real way to describe that LOL. Anyway, I couldn't even talk to ask for the epi. Finally, a nurse said, "You need to get an epi before you rupture something" and I did. Whew... almost instant relief!! That's when I realized it was about 8:00pm- man, I had lost track of time! After that I just dozed. Even in the times when I was awake, I was sooo tired I couldn't even open my eyes. Well, then my water kept breaking and breaking- apparently the ctxns were forcing Nathan's head down and acting as a plug, then they would let up and fluid would gush out- over and over. The nurse checked the fluid and there was meconium in it and it was decided I would have a c-section (this was about 11:30pm). Well, they were taking their sweet time getting things set up for it and suddenly Nathan's heartrate became very erratic. Nothing was stabilizing it. I was whisked off and he was out in about 2 minutes!

They took him, assesed him and cleaned him up a bit and then handed him to dh. We sat together with Nathan while I was being stitched. I was then taken right to my room (no recovery room), while Phil went to the nursery with Nathan. My parents came in and were greeted by me shaking uncontrollably and vomiting- nice! Anyway, in all the excitement no one had even told me the "vital stats". My mom had me guess his birthweight. I had actually LOST weight my entire pregnancy and never got very big in the belly, so I guessed 7 1/2 lbs. He was actually 9 lbs. 5 oz. 21"!! Wow, where he was hiding, I'll never know! His birthday was 7-1-00.

When I was pregnant with my 2nd baby I got the answer about what happened during my first labor. I was found (on my 20 week u/s) to have scarring of the cervix from an infection from a D&C for m/c that prevents me from dilating. So, my next two were repeat C's. I'll write their stories later...

Anyway, he's now a healthy and very active 6 yo and just started Kindegarten- time flies!
Tammy, married to Phil- 11/22/98
m/c- 4/24/99
Nathan Philip- born- July 1, 2000 @ 9 lbs. 5 oz. 21"
Leah Alexandra- born- Jan. 22, 2004 @ 8 lbs. 3 oz. 20 1/2"
Justin Daniel James- born- July 7, 2005 @ 10 lbs. 6 oz. 22 3/4"
my b-day- 8/16/74 dh's birthday- 10/28/67
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0