Log In Sign Up

The birth story of Colton Leland

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
The birth of Colton Leland

The day in particular felt like any other day. I had been anxious for a week or so, I knew the end of the pregnancy was close. But even though I had been so ready for it to happen, that day just didn’t strike me as the day. I had finally let go of the thought that labor could happen any time, and relaxed about the situation. I really didn’t think it was the time, though I had light contractions off and on all day long.
At about 8 in the evening, I started to have more of the same light contractions. Nothing that I could time, nor anything that I wanted to time. I wasn’t in labor…. By nine thirty the contractions were settling into a close pattern of about 7 minutes apart. I still did my best to ignore them, I wasn’t in the mood to get excited over nothing. I just kept up my normal routine. I cooked spaghetti for dinner, and my family and I ate together. I put Isobelle to bed and Brad and I stayed up for a while watching TV. At about midnight, we decided it was time to turn the TV off and try to sleep.
Brad fell asleep immediately, but I was uneasy. My contractions were picking up in intensity, but still about 5 to 7 minutes apart. They were just uncomfortable enough that I couldn’t fall asleep. I stayed in bed on my knees, with them pressed tightly up against my chest. This relieved some of the pressure caused by the contractions and I was able to fall asleep for 5 minutes or so in between them. It still wasn’t labor. No way was I going to get my panties all in a bundle over some moderate contractions. Not after my stalled labor episode the week before! By two in the morning I couldn’t take staying in bed any longer. The pain was beginning to be strong enough that I needed to vocalize it. I got out of bed and paced my living room, groaning quietly through the contractions. At that point, they were no more than 4 minutes apart.
I decided that maybe taking a warm bath would do me some good. I ran my bath water, and laid down in the tub to try to relax. Relax—I did not. I started to think that maybe it was the time. Perhaps this was the real deal! When I got out of the bath, I woke Brad up. By this time, it was about 3AM. I grabbed Brads hand through the contractions and moaned, as the pressure on my cervix was getting to be a lot to handle on my own. It didn’t take him long to realize that things were happening and this was labor.
We timed the contractions for about 30 minutes. They were between 1 minute and 45 seconds and 1 minute and 55 seconds apart. The pressure on my back from Colton being OP was so intense that with each contraction all I could do is drop to the floor and rock on my hands and knees. I started moaning louder and begging Brad to put pressure on my back during the contractions. I checked my cervix and from what I could tell I was about 6cm dilated. Okay, its time, lets go. Brad called the midwife, because I wasn’t in a state where I could talk. He also called his mom and we took off. We left the house at 4AM.
The car ride to the birth center was interesting! I stayed in the back seat, on my knees the entire drive. I kept a pillow under my chest and pressed my face into it, while reaching around to put pressure on my own lower back. I moaned, and on occasion screamed through my contractions. Being in the car made them a lot more uncomfortable than they had to be, but the ride didn’t seem to last too long. We arrived at the birth center at 5AM.
In the short walk from the car to the door of the center, I fell to my knees in the freezing cold to pelvic rock through a contraction. Looking back on it now, I bet I looked like the coolest woman in the world. But it was what I needed to do. We got inside and I put on my night gown and the MW checked the baby with a Doppler and also checked my cervix. I was right, I was a 6.
It didn’t take me long to want in the tub. I stayed on my hands and knees in the tub while the midwife and Brad put pressure on my lower back and I rocked and rocked. Back and fourth, side to side. I just had to keep my pelvis moving. I was quite vocal through the pains and I started to feel myself grunt when I would get deep into a contraction. The midwife said if it was an urge to push I was feeling, just go with it. My body knew what it was doing, and I needed to listen to it. Don’t force it to do what it didn’t want to do, and don’t make it stop what it did want to do. I pushed lightly through the contractions and it helped relieve the pressure a lot. It was hot and heavy, and there was nothing I could do to get away from the pains but when I just let my body do what it needed to do, it was much better.
Time to get out of the tub. I couldn’t take it anymore. I screamed and I moaned, and I begged for a break. I couldn’t do it anymore. I told Brad and I told my midwife, I just cant do it any more. They said, “But you are, you ARE doing it” and I was. Nothing could stop it at that point. The MW asked if I would like her to check my cervix again at about 6:15. I was eager to know what was going on, I was so scared that I was not going to progress, just like the week before. I secretly crossed my fingers for at least an 8. She smiled and said that I was complete. Just over an hour, and my body had went from a 6 to a 10! I was thrilled. I WAS doing it! This WAS it, and NOTHING was going to stop me from having my sweet baby.
I labored on my back for a while, so that we could check on the baby, and check on my own vitals. Everything was good…. Everything was wonderful. It was all falling into place perfectly. My body wanted to push, so I pushed. I didn’t give it my all, I just didn’t have the energy. I rolled around, changed positions, and moaned and grunted. The only place I couldn’t handle it was on my hands and knees though. Eventually the midwife asked me if I would like her to break my water. She said that at this point it could help to bring the baby down. I had been vocally begging Colton to come down, please baby please… come down. Its time Colton, please come down. I cant do it much longer. Its your birthday baby, come down! “Yes” we broke the water. I got up and went to the toilet. I sat on the toilet for a couple of contractions where most of my water drained out of me. It hurt so bad to sit there. Brad stood in front of me and I pulled on him and held him so tight as I pushed through my contractions and begged for Colton’s decent into the world, or a break at least! No break came, we were too deep. Contractions were nearly on top of one another, I was feeling lucky to have one minute in between them.
I returned to the bed, to labor on my hand and knees. One of the midwives gave me a birth ball and told me to try to lean my body over it and hold it tight as I pushed. I pushed through one contraction and I could FEEL Colton moving in my birth canal. Another push, and I could FEEL him moving more. I screamed! It was so intense! I pushed again and I was overcome. I screamed “Oh God, it burns!” I threw my hand down there and felt. I could feel his head! His perfect little head, and his perfect little hair. I yelled at Brad that he needed to get his mother. I pushed through one more contraction and his head emerged. The midwife quickly asked Brad if he would like to catch the baby, and of course he was all over it. I pushed two more times and the shoulders and the rest of Colton were born into the arms of his loving father. The time was 7:06 in the morning.
The midwife quickly helped me onto my back, and Brad handed Colton over to me. He was so perfect. I couldn’t have asked for anything more. Immediately all the pain I had felt was a dream. I was so fuzzy, and unreal. I felt so good, my entire body relaxed and my baby in my arms. It took him about two minutes to start crying. We didn’t rush him. No poking and suctioning on him. I just rubbed him and held him and eventually he did what he needed to do. No pressure baby, you can do this!
Eventually Brad cut the cord, and my placenta delivered its self. It came with a lot of blood. Just enough blood for the midwife to say that I could use a shot of pitocin to help stop the bleeding. I accepted, I trust her and she was wonderful to me. The midwives cleared the room so that the new family could be together in peace. About 10 minutes after his birth he was latched on and nursing like a pro. Brad and Colton and I laid in bed together and nothing has ever felt better.
A little later, the midwife weighed him, and measured him. He was 8 pounds and 7 ounces. He was 21 ½ inches long, crown was 13 ¾ and chest was 13 ¾. One hour after his birth, I felt like getting up. I went to the restroom and peed…. Wow did I need that! I carried my son around the room on steady feet. I felt so good, I couldn’t believe it! We took our first bath together at that point, and then Brad took Colton off to dress him. I took my time soaking in the warm water, then I got out too. We had breakfast together, and chatted. At about 11Am the midwife came in with a cake. The cake was chocolate and had one single candle in it. She had made it for Coltons birthday. It was the sweetest gesture in the world. Brad, and Cindy (my mother in law) and I sat together and had a slice of birthday cake!
At 12:30 the midwife said that everything looked like it was great and that we were free to go when we pleased, or stay if we wanted. I was eager to get home. We left the birth center at 12:45 and headed home. The drive was short and I wasn’t uncomfortable at all. The family traveled home that day carrying twice as much love as they had went with.. It was the single most beautiful and awesome experience of my life. A day I will treasure and remember forever…..
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
February 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
.Megan.'s Avatar Lovin' My Boys
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,438
Beautiful story
Reply With Quote
March 7th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Melissa02909's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 886
Send a message via AIM to Melissa02909 Send a message via Yahoo to Melissa02909
Wow. What a story. I am so proud of you. I wish we had a birthing center close by. However, we don't. Again, I am so proud of you. He is so beautiful!


Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*

I didnt have a birth center close to me either. I spent a little over an hour of my hard labor in the back seat of a car because we had to drive about 75 miles to reach the birth center! The drive was...... fun.... LOL! But I wouldnt have had it any other way.
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
Awww. What a beautiful story and cute baby!
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
July 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 596
Wow, awesome story!

I pray my birth story will be 1/2 as beautiful!!

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0