Log In Sign Up

Ava's Birth Story

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Posts: n/a
12-9-04 Thursday I was scheduled for a massage that my doctor warned could potentially start labor. I was so excited...I wanted that hour of total relaxation! I went and it was wonderful. I felt more rested in that hour than I did with 10 hours of sleep! Nothing happened later on that day with baby, so I figured that the massage had no effect on me going into labor. In fact, it was pretty early for me to be going into labor, so that kinda scared me. I didn't want to have her before she was ready to come! Nothing eventful that afternoon and night...went to bed as around 10:30 or so. (I also had a doctor's appt. this morning, and I was 1 cm dilated and 50% thinned--same as the week before.)

12-10-04 Friday At 7:15 in the morning, I woke up to what I thought was me peeing in the bed! I jumped up so fast, I didn't want to do that on the fairly new mattress. When I stood up, water gushed down my legs...I yelled, "I think my water is breaking!!!". DH jumped out of bed wide awake. He started running around trying to help me. I was pretty calm, he was freaking out! I think he thought the baby was going to just pop on out right then. I hadn't had any contractions or anything. Once the flood waters stopped raging, I jumped in the shower to clean myself off and wash my hair. DH is still freaking out...he didn't think I should have been in the shower. I told him to go ahead and start packing a bag while I was in the shower--it gave him something to do so he wouldn't go nuts. At about 7:45, I decided to call the doctor's office, knowing I wouldn't get anyone, but I thought that the person on-call could tell me whether to head to the hospital or wait until contractions started. The doctor's office opened at 8:30, but DH couldn't wait that long for me to call. Well, no one ever called me back. So, at 8:30, I called the doctor's office. I told them that my water broke. They asked if I was at the hospital. I said no, I'm at home. They told me to "get my butt to the hospital"! So, off we went.
When we got to the hospital, about 9 am, they put me in a labor/delivery room. It was really nice. Even had a recliner for DH! The contractions had started a little bit, but were about 7 minutes apart, and not very consistent. They put the baby's heartbeat monitor on me and the contraction monitor. It wasn't long before the contractions really started kicking in. I dealt with them until about 3 pm, I had only progressed to 2 cm and 80% thinned. I went ahead and asked for the epidural. The doc that gave me the epidural was fantastic!!! If I ever have another one, I want him to do it. I didn't feel anything when he was doing it. Once the epidural kicked in, I took a nap. I woke up around 4 (I think), and they checked my progress again sometime around 5-ish. I had gone from 2 cm to 10!!! It was time to push. I started pushing around 5:30 and pushed with everything I had until she came out at 7:35 pm! So, from the time my water broke until she was born, I was in labor for 12 hours and 20 minutes! One of her shoulders had gotten stuck, so the doc had to help her on out. She came out screaming! It was such a little feminine voice! I got to hold her right when she came out and her little hand grabbed onto my finger so tight...I was so in love. I had an episiotomy, but I also tore. Baby weighed in at 7 pounds 1 ounce and was 19 3/4 inches long. She was 23 days early. They said that if I had made it that much farther, I would have had a whopper of a baby and probably wouldn't have been able to have a vaginal delivery. But everything turned out just wonderfully. The whole thing was so great. Everything went so well with the delivery, I am so grateful for that.
They took the baby to the nursery to be checked out further, just because she was early. I wanted to keep her with me, but I understood. She would be back with me really soon. After about an hour of me recuperating, they got me into a wheelchair and took me to a Mommy and Baby room. DH and I just sat there, wanting to see her again and hold her...we were already wrapped around every one of her little fingers.
She came back a while later...*sigh*. I just sat and held her and stared at her gorgeous little face.
We got to go home on Monday. I had to stay an extra day because of some problems I had after the delivery. Nothing serious, just easier to deal with them in the hospital. It didn't really bother me, it was nice having meals brought to me and people catering to my every need!
She has been wonderful since we got home. She had a little bit of jaundice, but luckily that is all taken care of now.
Breastfeeding is going great. I was nervous about doing it, but it has gone wonderfully.

Now, DH and I are just enjoying our time as new parents and getting to know our new little one. We're just so in love with her and loving every minute!!! Oh! And DH's birthday was the 8th--two days earlier! So, she was his late birthday present and our early Christmas present!Ava Elizabeth (This pic was taken when she was still all swollen---it's amazing how different she looks now compared to this picture! )

Here's a link to a picture of her, hope it works :Ava Elizabeth
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Posts: n/a
Congrats! Sounds like things went pretty smoothly!

Did you like delivering at Central Baptist? They are owned by the same company as Baptist Hospital East, which is located in Louisville. Just wondering, b/c I will be delivering in Louisville, and the experience I had at Norton when I had Alyssa wasn't the greatest.
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I Heart 4x4
Posts: n/a
Reply With Quote
December 22nd, 2004, 01:13 PM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 844
She's gorgeous. Really good to hear your story, thank you for sharing. 2 hours of pushing though! Sounds like you're due date was a little late.

Baby web site

Reply With Quote
December 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Posts: n/a
She would've been huge if you had her around your due date. Maybe they had it wrong. Congrats!!!! She is beautiful!! Can't wait to see more pics.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0