More Feeding Difficulties

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Brief Background: Ally is 2 months old. We have tried Enfamil Lipil w/ Iron, Enfamil Gentlease, & Enfamil Nutramigen to help her colic & intestinal pain. We switched back to the Enfamil Lipil w/ Iron because she did better on it than the others, but still acted like she was in pain all the time (tensing up, grunting, screaming, etc). I finally switched her to GoodStart Supreme w/ DHA & ARA and she instantly seemed to feel better. So she's been on it for 2-3 weeks now. Ally also has silent reflux and has been on prescription Axid for about 3 weeks. She has never really spit-up much.

Current problem: All of a sudden (well, about a week now) she's started taking less & less formula. For atleast the past month she's been taking a good 4 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours. It was like clockwork. Now she only wants 2-3 oz at a time every 3 hours and I basically have to force the 3rd ounce in her. Often times she spits it up, like it's too much.

She isn't running a fever, she's having regular poopy diapers, and other than not wanting her normal amount of formula she seems fine. The only thing that's changed is she got her first big round of shots 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas? Should I contact her Pediatrician? I'm trying not to worry, but it seems odd to me that she's taking less & not more.
September 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Regular
This is just my opinion. When my kids slow down their formula intake they have done one of these things : teething, ear infection (hurts them to suck), or illness coming on. It probably wouldnt hurt to give your doc a call just to rule out anything like an ear infection or illness. Or if you have a thing like my doctors office where a nurse calls you back maybe you can just speak to a nurse and get her view of it. I too am like you...I always try not to worry but I always worry. I always feel that they are too little to tell us what is going on so that makes me worry about everything even more lol. Anyways, let us know how things go. Ill be thinking of you and hoping she starts eating better for you. Take care!

I forgot to add that Thrush is also something that can cause that. Look inside her mouth and see if you see white patches on her gums, cheeks, and tongue. If you dont its not that.
DD- Brianna Adrienne 5/27/04
DS- Dylan Tyler 3/2/2006
Angel babies- 6/01 & 10/01

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZrAntk/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the advice. I will check her for thrush. The nurse told me to bring her by just for a weight check. She's up from 12lbs 1oz on 9/13 to 12lbs 10oz today on 9/26. I asked the nurse why she would have a decrease in her total intake for the day over the past week and she said it's hard to say but Ally could have a cold or something coming on. I hope not!!!

Right now she seems to feel fine. She's actually been a pretty happy baby today (I'm sure I'm jinxing things by saying that...lol)!

They told me to watch her and if she begins to decrease her formula intake any more call to make an appointment.

And guess what? As soon as I got home from the doctor's office with her she chugged down a full 4oz again!

ETA: I re-read your post and something caught my attention. Teething! She's just over 2 months old...is this too early? I haven't felt inside her mouth yet because I really don't know what I'm feeling for, but my Mother mentioned a few days ago that Ally was 'acting as if she felt bad from teething' (comparing to the way I used to act as a baby). I've also noticed she drools a bit while in her swing, and this just started as well. Hmm.
September 26th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Regular
Thats great that you got her a weight check and everything. Good girl Ally for drinking 4oz for mommy Teething can happen at any age really. It sounds like she might be doing that from what you said. Teething can take a while before a tooth even shows up. Hopefully thats not the case though and if she is teething it happens quick for her. Keep me updated on how she is doing. Take care!
DD- Brianna Adrienne 5/27/04
DS- Dylan Tyler 3/2/2006
Angel babies- 6/01 & 10/01

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZrAntk/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM
tiggers_best_buddy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah my son started teething at 3 months and his first tooth did not come in till he was 8 months and 2 weeks old and it can cause then to eat less try some orajel or teething tablets and if that helps then you know it is probally her gums
September 26th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
are you feeding on demand? sometimes if they start eating less it might be because their system is maturing and they are ready to have a bigger space between feeds. by the time Cohen was about 3-4 months he had stretched out his feeds on his own to about every 3.5-4 hours and increased his intake of milk at those feeds, but ate less frequently.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

September 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^ same here. Kiera also was teething, but she would hit the bottle away and shake her head. She got teeth at 4mths though. Sounds to me she just wants to space her feedings apart. Maybe give her 5-6oz every 3-4hours?

Also, if she is having reg pee and poo diapers, doesnt seem lathargic or sick. I woudlnt worry too much. She could just be going through a slow phase. I know DD did this a lot and still does. For a week or so she would eat less andthen boom shed eat liek a piggy. Sometimes it was right before a growth spurt. Goodluck though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search