What kind?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM
*Cassie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to switch my baby to formula. No matter how much he eats off my breast, he isn't happy. It doesn't seem like he is getting anything. Give him a bottle, and he's fine. I've been really stressed and I'm not enjoying it, so I'm making the decision to go to formula.

I'm just wondering, what kind would be best? I know everyone will have different opinions, but to get an idea. He is almost 2 weeks old. Is there any kind that would be best for him at this age?
October 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
I use Nestles Good Start w/ iron (in the purple and white can) and it works well with Preston. I think he spit up a total of 6-8 times when he was little (only cause he wouldn't burp).

October 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Welcome to the bottle-feeding board!

You may want to check out our formula review stickies. Paige is on pediasure now because of weight gain issues but we have tried several formulas....

Similac: I liked it...I think I am the only one on this board that like Similac.

Enfamil: It wasn't bad but the Similac seemed a little thicker to me and Paige seemed to eat the Similac better.

Good Start: I know a lot of people love it but Paige was really fussy on the Good Start

Another option is the generic store brands...they have to meet the same requirements as the other formulas. If Paige had been on formula longer we would have switched to a generic to try and save some money.

You said you have given him a bottle. Was it formula or breast milk? If it was formula I would stick with whatever kind you gave him and see if it works.

Also be sure to check out our formula freebies sticky to get some samples.

One last thing...when switching to formula it does take a baby up to 2 weeks to adjust so just beware that he may be constipated act a little differently in that time frame.

Good luck with the switch. Let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions.

October 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Quote:
You said you have given him a bottle. Was it formula or breast milk? If it was formula I would stick with whatever kind you gave him and see if it works.[/b]
It was formula. It's what we got in the hospital, it's Similac Advance with Omega-3. He seems to do good with it, I just notice it gets really bubbly, but I don't know if that's an issue or just something that happens.

Thanks for the replies so far girls I feel kind of bad doing the switch, but it will make us both happier, so it's the best thing for us.
October 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
Quote:
You said you have given him a bottle. Was it formula or breast milk? If it was formula I would stick with whatever kind you gave him and see if it works.[/b]
It was formula. It's what we got in the hospital, it's Similac Advance with Omega-3. He seems to do good with it, I just notice it gets really bubbly, but I don't know if that's an issue or just something that happens.

Thanks for the replies so far girls I feel kind of bad doing the switch, but it will make us both happier, so it's the best thing for us.
[/b]
To get rid of the bubbles you can add a few drops of mylicon gas drops --- or the generic of it.
I tried to breastfeed dd#2 and felt a little guilty switching but I was much happier once I did and because of that the rest of my family was happier as well. I was so stressed out over breastfeeding and it just wasn't working and I felt as if I tried everything to get it to work...plus my supply was low and my dd has problems with not gaining weight (she is FTT - failure to thrive).

October 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
I was just like you. We nursed for three and a half weeks then switched. I wasnt happy, and neither was he. I'm much happier now, although bottle feeding requires some more work then nursing.

We've tried loads of formulas......

Similac (old kind before they redid it)- too bubbly, gave him gas

Similac (new blue one)- Still gassy and fussy

Enfamil Lipil- Made him really gassy and spat up a lot

Goodstart- Gassy, Constipated, and so so sooooo fussy.

Now we switch between:
Enfamil Gentlease- Much better with gas and fussiness. spits is up a little.

Similac Lactose Free- its thicker than the enfamil, and he doesnt spit it up at all. Not fussy or anything.

The formula is hard to find the right kind. It takes a lot of trial and error sometimes. What kind have you been giving in the b ottle?

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

October 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
We use Enfamil Lipil. It's pricey but it's all she's ever had and I'm hesitant to switch. I understand your pain w/ the nursing, my baby was the same way, never ever happy. She would cluster feed constantly and didn't seem to be getting enough. I knew I had a low supply when I stopped nursing and didn't get at all engorged or even leak more than a couple drops. I know it's a hard decision, but you know what is best for you and for your baby. Take care and I hope the switch makes for a happier mama and baby
October 16th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I use Nestles Good Start w/ iron (in the purple and white can) and it works well with Preston. I think he spit up a total of 6-8 times when he was little (only cause he wouldn't burp).[/b]

I had a similar BF experience (latching issues as well) and was very very stressed and felt extremely guilty about making the switch from Bmilk to formula...I totally understand.

Here is my story when we made the switch....

Madeline seemed to have some gastric difficulties(lots of crying especially after feedings, but hardly any spit up) when making the switch from Bmilk to formula. I even weaned her from Bmilk to formula so the transition would be gradual bu still would cry and cry.
I was told by many people to switch formula, but my doctor was very adament about sticking to the same formula(could cause more gastric difficulties, if you swtich) until she hit 12 weeks.

Turns out she had colic(unhappy baby for about 12 weeks) and is now doing really well

BTW, hardly any bubbles with Good Start but you can use mylicon...Ovol for us Canucks

Good luck
P.S. If ever you need to vent , feel free to PM me

October 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Starzy Send a message via MSN to Starzy
Quote:
Quote:
I use Nestles Good Start w/ iron (in the purple and white can) and it works well with Preston. I think he spit up a total of 6-8 times when he was little (only cause he wouldn't burp).[/b]

I had a similar BF experience (latching issues as well) and was very very stressed and felt extremely guilty about making the switch from Bmilk to formula...I totally understand.

Here is my story when we made the switch....

Madeline seemed to have some gastric difficulties(lots of crying especially after feedings, but hardly any spit up) when making the switch from Bmilk to formula. I even weaned her from Bmilk to formula so the transition would be gradual bu still would cry and cry.
I was told by many people to switch formula, but my doctor was very adament about sticking to the same formula(could cause more gastric difficulties, if you swtich) until she hit 12 weeks.

Turns out she had colic(unhappy baby for about 12 weeks) and is now doing really well

BTW, hardly any bubbles with Good Start but you can use mylicon...Ovol for us Canucks

Good luck
P.S. If ever you need to vent , feel free to PM me
[/b]

I have a Madelyn too!!! She is also on Goodstart and is doing well - only spits up if she doesn't burp or guzzles it way too fast!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Quote:
We use Enfamil Lipil. It's pricey but it's all she's ever had and I'm hesitant to switch. I understand your pain w/ the nursing, my baby was the same way, never ever happy. She would cluster feed constantly and didn't seem to be getting enough. I knew I had a low supply when I stopped nursing and didn't get at all engorged or even leak more than a couple drops. I know it's a hard decision, but you know what is best for you and for your baby. Take care and I hope the switch makes for a happier mama and baby [/b]
I was like that too. Once I stopped breastfeeding him, I didn't get at all engorged. It's only been not even two full days and I barely leak at all now. Oh well. As long as baby eats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search