how do you know if it is constipation?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
mommytothree
I know that sounds like a stupidi question but I just don't know! Sadie does not poop regularily. She is on Good Start which is supposed to be so much like breastmilk that babies can adopt breastfed like poop patterns. When she goes it is firm but not hard or small little pebbles. It is firm though, I'd say like fudge maybe? Given how infrequently she goes (about once every 3 or 4 days) I think she should be having bigger ones.

Does this sound like constipation to you? She has her next well baby visit the first week of December and I don't really want to take her in before that. But I may have too. I also don't want to switch formula - I like GS and she vomited up Enfamil and wouldn't take similac.

Can't wait to start solids and get her some prunes, that always worked with my other two.
November 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My Dr has a line where you can call to ask questions you may just want to call. Rylynn went 3 days without going and I called they said they like for them to go once a day or everyother day. They told me to give her 1 ml of Mylanta supreme cherry flavor. I was a little confused by this since nowhere on the bottle does it say for constipation. They said to give her a does before the bottle and no more than 6 doses a day. Well after dose #2 she a BIG poop. That was 3 weeks ago and I have not had to use it since. My Dr said they use to make a children's mylanta, but they were not selling enough so they quit making it she said the supreme has the same ingrediants.

You may ask your dr about it. GOod luck

November 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
It can be normal for some babies to go every couple of days. Does she seem in pain when she goes? If she doesn't seem to be in pain I probably wouldn't worry about it...however, if she is in pain or you are concerned you could always call the dr and just ask...they might just help you over the phone instead of having you drag the baby in (especially if it is cold where you live).

November 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say as long as she isnt in pain when she goes (crying or having to force really hard) and there is no blood that she is not constipated. A babies poop patterns really can vary from one to the other, and I was simply told that as long as there is no blood or pain they are ok.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

November 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM
mommytothree
thanks for the input ladies. I did buy some Mylanta and it does help! Her poops have become more normal and soft. Apparently Mylanta supreme is ok for babies and it helps with her reflux/heartburn too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search