Help!! Fussy baby!

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I need help! I've got the fussiest baby. It started at 3 weeks (she's now 4 1/2 weeks). She cries ALL THE TIME, unless she's eating (cries when she's eating sometimes too), or sleeping. She sleeps fine at night -- wakes every 3 hours or so, goes back to sleep. During the day, though, she's crying all the time. At first we thought it was her formula (Enfamil), so we switched to Gentlease. She refused it based on taste. By the way, she's on 2/3 breast milk and 1/3 formula (won't latch and 2 oz is all I can produce). So after the Gentlease we switched to Similac soy -- recommended by the Dr. After two days of more crying we switched to Carnation Good Start. I was so skeptical on switching to begin with, but to be honest, she did much better on the Enfamil than anything. I'm not sure if that's because of the formula, or because she hit a fussy period. I'm hesitant to go back to Enfamil, because it kills me to switch again. I'm thinking of cutting out breastmilk for 24 - 48 hours to see if that's it. By the way, I have cut out dairy, brocolli, spicy, etc., so I don't believe that's it. The pediatricians (yes, more than one) are pretty useless. They suggested maybe the hypoalergenic formula, but I'm skeptical about that too. Sorry this is so long! Has anyone else been through something similar?? Any suggestions?? I'm at my wits end!!

November 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
mommytothree
yup - it's called colic. my 2nd had it and screamed when he was awake for 4 months and he slept horrible until the ped suggested we put him on his tummy. he still screamed while awake but was at least asleep more than awake. around 4 months it stopped.

it was the worst thing to endure, I swore I'd have no more kids after him. I can remember my DH holding him while he screamed at 2:00 am and me sleeping right next to them - I was so tired I just tuned it out.
November 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
[quote]
My girl was the same when she was that age. She would cry (sorry, scream is the better word) endlessly. I switched her to Goodstart (from Enfamil), and gave her a dose of Gripe Water mixed in with each bottle, which helped tremendously.
November 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
honestly my advice would be to NOT cut out the breastmilk but cut out the formula. I know you said you can only make so much breastmilk but have you tried frequent pumping to increase your supply? there are other ways to increase your supply too, there are pill at the natural health store that contain fennel they are supposed to help. I am sure the girls on the breastfeeding forum could suggest a few things too. The reason I say this is that I had low supply too and I found Cohen was in a much better mood when I would breastfeed him than when I supplemented. breastmilk is easier to digest. Is she pulling her legs in and out when she is crying? this suggests gas. The only things you can do really are try and illiminate any air she gets when feeding. When she breastfeeds she will naturally get less air, when feeding from a bottle, try a bottle that diminishes how much air she gets. there are lots of good ones out there, i have only tried playtex but there are alot that help with air. If you use playtex squeeze all the air out. I would put oval drops in his formula when my son was like that. It didnt seem to help but worth a shot, I think they are called symethicone drops or something and I have also heard of milecone. or you can give it just before or after a feed. It does sound like colic to me which usually shows up around 3 weeks old and goes away by 3-4 months. I know how aweful it is and you just want to pull your hair out because you feel helpless.The best thing for colic if its caused by gas is bouncing. Try laying down with your baby on your lap and lightly bouncing her by lifting your pelvis up and down. There is always the handy old dryer trick too, just place a towel to protect her from the heat. Stroller rides help as well as car rides, or simply walking around the room with her while lightly bouncing. Also you can try laying her on her back and pushing her legs up to her tummy and back down. I hope some of these help.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

November 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
*~Heather~*'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *~Heather~* Send a message via Yahoo to *~Heather~*
My son did that and i use the hyans colic tablets.... and the gripe water ... it also turned out the my son has acid reflux and we had to stop breastfeeding cause he couldnt keep it down ... so we started using goodstart cause we had no luck with other formulas... and we use ventair bottles... hope this could be of some help!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search