Rash?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you tell if this is a rash or just baby acne? He has this on both of his cheeks and it started as acne. He had a bunch of pimple-like spots that were red around them in the beginning and then the redness would fade and leave just the pimple. But within the last few days, his whole cheek has gotten kinda red and the skin is kinda rough feeling, like dry skin. We just switched from BM to formula on Saturday, but the acne spots were there before the switch. The only difference since starting formula is the over all redness, and this didn't start until just a few days ago. He isn't itching at it or treating the areas any differently than normal.

He has a hemangioma that we see a dermatologist about. We asked her about the baby acne and she gave us different soap to use called Cetaphil. We only used it maybe twice, and we started noticing the redness after using this soap. So I have switched back to Johnson and Johnson bedtime bath and have been putting baby lotion on the spots for the dry skin. I'm just worried that this is a reaction to formula and I might be overlooking it. Should I give it a few more days to see if it was the change in soap?

Here is a picture of his cheek
December 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
sweet7696's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice, but I noticed you were from St Louis. I'm a St Louis mommy too, sort of.. I live just south of there. Anyways, good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's the soap!
Jess

December 28th, 2006, 06:04 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I would give the pediatrician a call just to let them know and see if they want to see him. I would think that if it is the formula it would be all over his body and not just on his cheeks...but I'm not dr so I really don't know.

December 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM
chloe82
Hi, I'm not a Dr but a nurse, and both my babies had the same problem...I HIGHLY doubt it is a reaction to the formula since allergic reactions tend to be very widespread on the body....anyways with my kids it was just a sensitive skin/irritation issue....I found what worked wonders was a Gerbers product, I can't remember the exact name of it but it looks like a giant chapstick...about the size of a gluestick....and it's for that kind of irritation and redness on their cheeks. It always cleared it up in a couple of days.
December 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you girls. I gave my doctor a call this morning just to ease my mind and he said it doesn't sound like a reaction to formula, but that it was a skin irritation issue, possibly due to if he drools at night and the cold dry air that we have going on here. So I am to keep vaseline on it to keep his cheeks moist and not use any soap on his face, just warm water, as he is so young he probably doesn't need soap on his face yet. So hopefully I'll see it clearing up soon
December 29th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't have any advice, but I noticed you were from St Louis. I'm a St Louis mommy too, sort of.. I live just south of there. Anyways, good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's the soap!
Jess[/b]
I live just south of St. Louis as well!!! WOW!!! Where do you live? My address is Herculaneum, but I say festus since no one knows where that is LOL That is too cool!!!!

December 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
How's Blake doing? Is the Vaseline helping?

December 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
mommytothree
sadie had that, it looks like ezcema to me. I brought her to the DR and we use hydrocortizone on it. To clear it up I used it 2x a day. Now I use it every couple of days. We also use Cetaphil and Eucerin calming cream.

Her ped said it didn't having anything to do with her formula or my breastmilk (when she was getting it). But it can mean they are more prone to get asthma

Anyhow, I'd have it checked out. Hers cleared up very quickly with the hydrocortizone.
December 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How's Blake doing? Is the Vaseline helping?[/b]
Well, there are times where it looks worse than others. Like right after he gets done eating and being burped, it looks pretty red. I guess this is from him laying his cheek on my shoulder and it getting irritated. But like when he is sleeping and his cheeks haven't been bothered, they don't look nearly as red. It looks like a bunch of little bumps that are each a little red, instead of his whole cheek being one big red spot. I noticed today that it is on his chin too. So, I can't say that it is better, but it isn't worse. I just hope it goes away, but I feel like it's not going to. It will look less red one moment and I think "Oh good, it's going away." But it will turn red just as quick the next moment, and then I start thinking it's getting worse.
December 30th, 2006, 07:53 AM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
Well, there are times where it looks worse than others. Like right after he gets done eating and being burped, it looks pretty red. I guess this is from him laying his cheek on my shoulder and it getting irritated. But like when he is sleeping and his cheeks haven't been bothered, they don't look nearly as red. It looks like a bunch of little bumps that are each a little red, instead of his whole cheek being one big red spot. I noticed today that it is on his chin too. So, I can't say that it is better, but it isn't worse. I just hope it goes away, but I feel like it's not going to. It will look less red one moment and I think "Oh good, it's going away." But it will turn red just as quick the next moment, and then I start thinking it's getting worse.
[/b]

Hi! me again...I really wouldn't worry about it...what you're describing is EXACTLY what my son had....it was always worse for him after feedingand burping too, i think just from the moisture on his face...it was sort of a recurring thing for a couple of months, but I'm telling ya....you should look for that Gerber product!! I would just spread it on the irritated area a few times a day and it would always clear up in a few days....it'd be in the baby aisle anywhere with soothers and creams and all that....anyways you should try it!
December 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]

Hi! me again...I really wouldn't worry about it...what you're describing is EXACTLY what my son had....it was always worse for him after feedingand burping too, i think just from the moisture on his face...it was sort of a recurring thing for a couple of months, but I'm telling ya....you should look for that Gerber product!! I would just spread it on the irritated area a few times a day and it would always clear up in a few days....it'd be in the baby aisle anywhere with soothers and creams and all that....anyways you should try it!
[/b]
I did look on the gerber website for that product and I found it. Is it called Grins and Giggles Moisturizing Stick? I searched for stores around me that have it and there is only one store that is kinda far away. It's not one that I go to. Babies R Us didn't even say it had it! So I think I may start searching online and see if I can order it off there. But I did notice today, his cheeks are looking a little better. Not quite as red all over, just a little spot. I guess I'm not really worried about it, but I just want my baby's beautiful spot-free face back!
December 30th, 2006, 11:17 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
It sounds like baby acne to me. Ryleigh had it pretty bad when she was really young, and I found that wiping her face really gently after eating w/ a wet cloth helped, b/c it got the formula, drool and/or spitup off right away and then it wouldn't irritate her skin. I promise, it will go away! For us it was gone by 3 months, but her little face will still get a little red out in the chilly air. And definitely don't use any soap on his face, the skin is still too delicate. He is adorable, baby acne or not
December 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tacey @ Dec 29 2006, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I did look on the gerber website for that product and I found it. Is it called Grins and Giggles Moisturizing Stick? I searched for stores around me that have it and there is only one store that is kinda far away. It's not one that I go to. Babies R Us didn't even say it had it! So I think I may start searching online and see if I can order it off there. But I did notice today, his cheeks are looking a little better. Not quite as red all over, just a little spot. I guess I'm not really worried about it, but I just want my baby's beautiful spot-free face back!
[/b][/quote]

I looked at the product on the website for you (Grins and Giggles) and although the name and packaging look different from what I remember, the description sounds like exactly what it is! I'm pretty sure that's it, but they've just redesigned the packaging since I used it (a year and a half ago)...becasue ALL their packaging designs look different to me from before. But that definitely soudns like it, it was for chapped skin and safe to use on their face. Good luck!
December 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for letting me know about it! It says it will ship on Tuesday, I got it from Babywise. So I'll let you know how it works!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search