Karo syrup for constipation

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Blake was on cow's milk formula to begin with and we switched to soy because he was very gassy, fussy, and spitting up all the time. But he didn't get constipated with it. Now he is on the soy and it's been a week and half since starting it and he is constipated. I've noticed that within the past few days, his poop is a clump. I could pick it up it is so formed. So I'm thinking he is constipated and was going to get Karo syrup. How much do I give, and do I just mix it with his formula? Will I need to do this with every bottle? How long should I continue giving it to him?
January 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've given it to DD a couple of times per my Mom and she mixed so I don't really know how much she gave her. Now I have read a few times about not giving babies Karo because of it having bacteria in it. Here is a link I found the link gives instructions on how to mix it. Also I have read that a good alternative is prune juice rather than Karo.

http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/health/42327.html

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
January 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM
ERICKA77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honey and kyro syrup are no no's before a year old due to botulism..(sp?).
I would call your doctor and ask what to do due to constipation.
Prune juice would work. Water even.
I hope your little guy gets to feeling better soon.

January 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
My PED recommended Apple Juice. Trust me it will loosen his stoll. My PED said 1oz between each formula feeding the first day. Then 1oz after every 2 bottles, then 1 oz after every 3 bottles, etc. She told me to do it for 3 days a nd we never had a problem after that.

January 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
mommytothree
there is no problem with karo syrup, that is old information. however it doesn't work well with my kids. prune juice works ok for us but I have to give her full strenght. we have major issues with constipation.

soy formula tends to be constipating. I'm a little leary of soy myself, I've read some things about it that make me concerned but I know for sure it can be constipating.

I'd call your DR. she/he will be able to help you better. I am going to be asking my ped for some fiber supplement they have for babies to mix in her cereal because she is chronically constipated.
January 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I ended up calling the ped on Friday, and he said to use Karo syrup. We did that all day and night on Friday, and Saturday morning came and still no poop (except for a little tiny hard ball). I called the ped again and he said I could do a glycerin suppository and then continue with the karo syrup and also do prune juice mixed with water. Well, I wanted to try the prune juice first before going to the suppository. Half way through his first bottle of prune juice, he went poop! It was still pretty formed, but at least he went.

So we continued on with the prune juice and karo syrup. DH and I went out to dinner and left Blake with my parents. At about 8pm, my mom called and said he exploded! She said it was everywhere, up his back, on his clothes. I was so happy! He had 2 more loose bowel movements over night last night. So we have stopped the karo and prune juice. But it has been since 3 am since he's gone again. If he doesn't go again by tomorrow afternoon or evening, I will give him more prune juice, since apparently that is what worked. I just hope I don't have to keep relying on prune juice to keep him going.

I mentioned to the nurse that I heard soy formula was constipating and asked if I could switch to Nestle Good Start Supreme. She said "Well, I haven't heard of that, but I will ask the doctor." The doctor said that I could switch formulas if I wanted, but that all formulas can be constipating. So pretty much, they don't think it is the soy formula. So he has his 2 month appt on Friday. If his constipation comes back, I'm going to discuss with the ped in person about switching. Why stay on a formula that constipates him continuously when there may be another one out there that doesn't?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search