Introducing formula

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Kimmy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby is just over 6 months old and has been exclusively fed EBM. I was in the process of decreasing my pumping sessions to only 3 per day and planned to use some of the 1000 oz I have frozen to supplement if he needs more. Turns out I have a lipase problem and have had to throw it all out because it tastes absolutely awful and he won't drink it.
I am currently pumping about 36 oz a day (down from about 40-42) and I feel that my supply is going to continue to decrease with my reduction in pumping sessions and so I will have no choice but to introduce formula. I don't want to do 1/2 BM and 1/2 formula at this stage because some days, we have enough of the BM. But there have been days where I ran out of BM and had to make him some formula and he did not take it very well. He really seemed to dislike the taste. When I smelled and tasted it, it did taste kind of gross, kind of metallicky a little. It was Good Start powder , with Omega 3-6 that I tried because I had a sample can.

All of that and my question is the following:

Does all formula taste the same? The taste seems kind of strong to me and he really dislikes it and won't drink it. I don't want to go out and buy all different kinds, way too $$$. Anyone have any suggestions on a formula that is less nasty tasting. I know that none probably compare to sweet BM but I need him to take something because soon I fear he may be primarily on formula. Also, does the formula taste the same in the powder and concentrated varieties (of the same formula of course)?
Thanks
January 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I may not be much help, but here is what I did.

Blake was on EBM for 5 1/2 weeks until I could no longer keep up with him. So for the first feeding, I used up the last of my EBM which was only about 3 oz, then the rest I gave Similac Advance. He didn't act any differently between the 2. I have to admit that the Similac Advance smells really nasty. We later switched to Isomil because of gas problems, again he had no problems whatsoever with the taste. The isomil in my opinion doesn't smell. We've also tried Nestle Good Start, which smelled even worse than the Similac Advance.

I would ask the ped first before starting formula, as they can give you suggestions and they also might have samples so you don't have to waste money.
January 31st, 2007, 07:09 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
First of all welcome to the board!! One place to start may be our formula review section. Also check out the formula freebies. A lot of the companies will send you free samples. You could try the samples and that might help you decide which one works the best for your baby. If you think you are going to run out of breastmilk one day try mixing his last bottle 1/2 BM and 1/2 formula then it won't be such a change when his next bottle is entirely formula. Then on the days you have enough BM just give him the BM.

February 1st, 2007, 10:48 AM
mommytothree
Good Start smells like vanilla to me Seroiusly it smells better than Enfamil or Similac. Similac, in my opinion, smells the worst and none of my kids would touch it. My older two were on Enfamil (my first had EBM for 6 mos too) and Sadie was on Good Start after she had EBM for 2 1/2 months. She is now on Enfamil Gentlease bcause GS gave her constipation.

Neither Sophie or Sadie would do both EBM and formula. They would do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search