Log In Sign Up

Arabella's Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Amy's Arabella's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 210
Arabella's Birth Story

"My water broke!"

The morning of Wednesday, March 18th, 2009, I woke on a usual day at 7:30 am to wake my older kids, Spencer 10, Joey 8, and Jayna 6 up to get ready for school. When I stood up, I felt a trickle down my legs and thought I had maybe lost my bladder so I went to the bathroom, emptied my bladder and went on to wake the kids up only to have more trickling down my legs. It was colorless and odorless so it struck me that this might be amniotic fluid. As I continued getting them ready for school, it started to come out more steadily so I called my husband's place of work, and knowing that he wouldn't be there yet (long commute) I left a message for him to call me back, that it was important. I then took the phone with me into the bathroom and had a shower. He called while I was showering so I turned off the water and took his call and told him to turn around and come back home , that my water had broken. He said, "WHAT?! Are you sure?" to which I replied, "It hasn't come out in a gush or anything yet, but I don't see what else it could be." So he replied that he was coming right back home.

I finally got Joey and Jayna out the door at 8:30. (Spencer had school patrols that morning so he had already left earlier). The waters were gaining more momentum by then and I had already gone through a pair of pants and several pads. I was feeling very anxious, alarmed, surprised, and excited.

Thankfully, despite my waters having broken, I was having no contractions or pain, but was expecting them to start at any minute.

I waited for my husband to get back home but his commute is long. A few times I had a gush but then it stopped, I figured the baby's head was acting like a cork. In the meantime I called to give my mother a heads-up. My mind felt numb, I just couldn't believe this was happening - her actual due date wasn't for another 3.5 weeks - April14th! How could I be in labor now?!

Finally my husband got home and we grabbed some things and off we went to the hospital, arriving there about 9:30 am.

Hurry Up and Wait...

After being checked and assessed, and put in a room to be plugged up to a non-stress test machine so they could follow the baby's heart rate and monitor any contractions, and also testing to make sure I was really leaking amniotic fluid (duh!).

We were very fortunate that this was a Wednesday, and Wednesdays are the one day a week that our OB does C-sections at the hospital, otherwise we likely may have been told to go on to the nearest city which we didn't want to have to do.

Dr. Bailey had two C-sections lined up before us and since I wasn't dilated further than 1 cm and I still wasn't having any labor pains, we were the last in line.

This was a major blessing - despite my water having broken on its own, I was not having any pain! The NST machine showed that I was having contractions, but to me they felt no different to me than Braxton Hicks contractions. The nurses kept looking at me a little strangely - thinking it odd I wasn't having any pain. I was very relieved that I wasn't! I kept expecting the painful ones to start, but they never did.

The long day's wait at the hospital actually went by quickly for me, my husband Michael was there most of the time, the company was great. We were both feeling nervous and excited. We couldn't get over the fact that we would get to meet our little angle so soon! Michael went and visited the other kids at school during their lunch hour and told them the name we had chosen for the baby. Of course they were excited and wanted to come to the hospital to see what was going on but Michael assured them it was boring, we were just waiting and they had to finish out the their school day. We made arrangements for a friend to pick up our kids after school and watch them until evening.

In the O.R...

I didn't get in to the O.R. until about 5 pm. By then they had prepped me up for surgery with an IV, a urinary catheter (ugh), and some various other meds that were given through the IV and made me feel drowsy at first. So in I went while my husband Michael went to get changed into scrubs, a hat and mask in another room. They had me sit on the narrow operating table, curve my back while the anesthetist worked on giving me the spinal. It really wasn't bad - a couple shots to numb the area in my spine and I didn't even feel the actually spinal being given. The spinal went to work fast, I could gradually feel the numbness starting in my toes and working its way up. I was glad because the catheter area was burning (urinary catheters and I do not get along) and that took care of that. They laid me down on the table and fastened my arms to arm planks at the side so my heart rate and blood pressure could constantly be monitored throughout the surgery. Then Michael came in, they drew the curtain, and got started. All I felt was tugging and pulling - no pain. I did smell a burnt smell - they use a cauterizer to reduce blood loss - not a good smell to smell your own flesh burning, but oh well. Michael would glance over the curtain now and then. I had no desire to see what he was looking at. In no time they had the baby out - it WAS a girl! (There's always the worry that the ultrasound technician was wrong!) They gave me a quick glimpse of the blueish-purple tinged baby covered in white goo as they brought her to a table within my view to get her breathing, clean her up, and get fluid out of her nose and mouth. Immediately we saw that she was perfect - she even had baby fat! For a premature baby we were expecting her to be more skinny. One of the first things I noticed was that she had a lot of dark hair, and when wet it was curly. They bundled her up, put a pink knitted cap on her head, and passed her to Michael who looked so proud and delighted to hold her. Then I got a turn to hold her too and see her close-up - she was precious, so beautiful! And what hair! Our long awaited Arabella Rose was finally here.

She's perfect!

After I was closed up I was taken to the recovery room while Michael went with a nurse to get the baby weighed and measured. Arabella weighed in at a good 6 lbs 15 oz. - just an ounce shy of 7 pounds, for being almost a month early! She measured at just under 19 inches. Chubby and healthy and perfect. She would have been a pretty big baby had she gone full-term to 40 weeks.

Finally we were allowed back into our room and I got to nurse her for the first time.

The kids visited that very evening and got to see and hold their new baby sister. They were all over her, arguing about who got to hold her and for how long. We had to keep reminding them to tone their volume down, not only because of the baby but to not disrupt other hospital patients. The kids visited the next day during their lunch hour and after school and my mother came the next day around lunchtime as well to see her new granddaughter. She brought a nursing cover and some receiving blankets and burp rags that she had sewed for me.

I spent two nights in the hospital before I was discharged, and I was so glad to be home. I'd rather recover at home than at a hospital where there is no sense of privacy or modesty. I am sore but recovering smoothly. Michael has been a big help with the kids and getting housework finished.

I was treated very well in this hospital - the nurses, doctors and staff were very kind and it was a good experience.

Big Blessings

Some very interesting facts:

1st: When Bella was delivered, they found the cord wrapped around her neck twice, around her arm and tied in a perfect knot. Had she not come early, there's no telling what may have happened. It is frightening to think about it - she could have died in the womb because she would have been bigger and the cord would have gotten tighter.

2nd: It is a very good thing I decided to have a C-section in the first place and not a VBAC (vaginal birth) like I had been considering at first, because even if I had gone into labor this early like I did, had I had her vaginally, the cord could have either killed her or caused permanent brain damage as it deprived her of precious oxygen in those first moments after birth.

I shudder to think of it. We were SO blessed. She was indeed meant to come at this time and in this way. The Lord was watching over her (and us) in a very real way. In fact just the night before when I said my prayers, I asked the Lord to please help the baby to come when she's ready (and in my mind I was thinking and not a minute later!)

Less important than the cord deal, but still noteworthy as a blessing is the fact that I did not have to experience any labor pains at all as we waited for the C-section. I have no doubt in my mind that the Lord was watching over us.

She is a great little nurser, breastfeeding without problems so far.


Married nearly 12 years now and mother to:
Spencer 10
Joey 8
Jayna 6
Arabella Rose,
born March 18, 2009, 4 weeks early
but healthy! Weighed 6 lbs 15 oz,
18.5 inches tall.

Last edited by Amy's Arabella; March 22nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding some pics
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
mama2aredhead2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Crystal, Minnesota
Posts: 2,323
Send a message via Yahoo to mama2aredhead2
Congrats! She is beautiful! I am so glad that you did not have any pain and that everything went so smoothly!

Thanks SandKmommy for my siggy!

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,983
She is so beautiful. Congratulations on a wonderful birth!

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Beautiful pictures, and what a blessing that she came when she did. God was really looking out for her with that cord issue!

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5,335
Congrats :cheers: She is a beauty!!!
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,686
Congratulations! She is beautiful!
Ruth - Mommy to S (miscarried at 10 weeks), W (9yrs), J (8 yrs), E (6yrs), F (4yrs), D (3yrs), &C (passed away 6 1/2 hrs after birth) & expecting another sweet baby March 2018

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
babyc's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 255
Great story and beautiful little girl! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,825
She is precious!! Congrats and yay for a great delivery.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southeast Iowa
Posts: 161
Congrats!! I'm happy to hear that she is healthy and it went so well. I hope you have a quick recovery
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,013
gorgeous little girl and gorgeous family! congrats and great story!

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 6,294
Congrats!! She is so cute!!!!

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,211
She is just beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing your story...it's amazing that things happened the way they did in light of the cord... what a relief and blessing!!!
Reply With Quote
April 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,629
What a great story! Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
April 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Brenda04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,987
She is adorable congratulations

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0