Log In Sign Up

Aiden Anastatios - April 8, 2009

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,825
I went for the gel in the evening on April 7th and waited a few hours at the hospital before they got around to putting it in. They ended up putting it in around 8:30pm and I started to feel some very faint and light cramping over the next few hours here and there and these became more regular starting around 1am. At 5am the cramps started to pick up in intensity and were about 5-8min apart so I finally figured these must be contractions. Between 5am and 6am when I woke up DH to get ready to go to the hospital, they were coming 5 min apart like clockwork. We got to the hospital at 7:15am and we were put in my room where we waited until about 9am before my nurse came in to get me hooked up to the monitors. By this time the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and were definitely stronger. The doctor came in a few minutes later and examined me and said that I was still only 1-2 cm dilated and broke my water and told my nurse to get ready to start the pitocin. Within minutes of him breaking my water, the contractions were still coming every 2-3 min but were SO PAINFUL. The nurse tried to get me an epidural at that point but they had sent bloodwork down for me due to the high BP and told me that they had to wait for that to come back before they could give it to me. Needless to say I spent the next 2 hours in tremendous pain (I think I mentioned that I am a wimp )
During this time I told DH I wanted a c-section, I wanted to go home, I was never having kids again etc etc

Finally they came back and said they could go ahead and give me the epidural. Let me tell you staying still while they did it when I was having the contractions I was having was almost impossible expecially since I was also throwing up a bit as well

It took about 15-20 min for them to do it and another 10-15 for it to kick in and once it did I was in HEAVEN. The doctor came back about a half hour after which was around 1pm and I was 6cm! I can't believe I went from 1-2 to 6cm without the epidural but I definitely compained about it along the way! They wanted to put the monitor on the baby's head to get a better sense of how he was doing as his HB was fulctuating a little so they decided to hold off on the pitocin for a bit so that they could attach the probe and monitor for a little while. The doctor came back at 3:30 to check on the baby and I and decided to examine me again so they could start the pitocin and to my surprise I was fully dilated and +2

The doctor told me to start pushing with the nurses and he would be back once I had made some progress. At this point, one of DH's sisters had just left to go and drop off her daughter and the other one had arrived and I was so excited/nervous that I told her I didn't mind if she stayed in the room with us. I started pushing at 3:40pm and had 4 sets of 3 pushes and the nurses called the doctor back in. He came in with another resident and they told me to start to push again. I was about 3-4 seconds into my first push and I heard a really loud POP and they told me to stop pushing. I asked what that was and they said it was his head and a few seconds later out slid his body and he was here!!!! He came into the workd at 4:03pm after 23 minutes of pushing at 6lb, 10 oz and 19 1/2 inches long. I couldn't believe it DH was fantastic and I couldn't have done it without him and I really liked that his sister was there as well and all 3 of us were crying our eyes out. I did have some tearing and ended up with stitches but it was more of 1 stich here, 2 stiches there instead of one big line kind of thing.

Aiden had jaundice and we were in the hospital for 3 days and then back and forth for daily blood tests until he was a week old. His weight went down to it's lowest point of 6lb, 2 oz and as of 9 days old it was up to 7lbs so he is doing well now. He is pretty good at breastfeeding although often feeds for short periods of time but cluster feeds and especially likes to do this in the middle of the night He doesn't really cry except for when he wants to eat or when we change his diaper (he hates being cold). His cord stump still hasn;t fallen off so he are still taking sponge baths which he complains about too (the cold factor). Other then that, he is a really good baby and we are so in love with him.

I have also retracted the "I don't want any more kids" statement to DH as one made under duress Both DH and I would get started on the 2nd one now if we could but that will have to wait for a year or so. All in all, an amazing experience and while I was disappointed that I had to be induced, DH and I were very happy that the gel alone was enough for me and I didn't have to get the pitocin.

Last edited by cherry08; April 20th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
April 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Posts: n/a
Grats on an uncomplicated (albeit painful) birth!
Reply With Quote
April 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 11,218
Congrats! Love the name!
♥ Siggy credit goes to Pattyandthemoos, thank you! ♥

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
Reply With Quote
April 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,013
congrats!!!!!! those contrctions are killer!

i also remember tho pop noise! lol

from your sig he looks like a handsome little man!

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Congrats! I agree that staying still while getting an epi can be super hard! 23 minutes of pushing, that's not bad at all!

Reply With Quote
April 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 6,294
Congrats hon!! I agree - the epi is HEAVEN!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0