Log In Sign Up

Danica's Grand Entrance

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2009, 07:42 PM
leafygreenveg's Avatar Steph
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 351
Well Danica's birth story starts a week before she was born. The Saturday before my baby shower I woke up with extremely swollen face and hands. I thought it was an allergic reaction it was so severe. But I called the doctors office and they moved my Thursday appointment up to Tuesday and told me to lay down as much as possible. I called out of work that day, and had a wonderful baby shower the next. Tuesday it was snowing here, and we had a tiff with a neighbor who claimed our car was too close to his driveway. I went to my appointment that afternoon, a little worried, I had read about preeclampsia online and was nervous about what was wrong with me. I didn't think it was that serious because the doctor from Saturday didn't seem concerned. I show up and the nurse's assistant took my blood pressure twice and seemed worried and I was up almost 15 lbs from two weeks before. She got the doctor who said my bp was high and to be on the safe side, she (and the doctor she consulted) thought it would be good to go over to labor and delivery. I was alone and very scared. It was about two months before Danica was due to be born. I called my mom, and my husband's boss. Who sent word down to the sub he was working on, he called me back and my mom went to pick him up and drove the 45 minutes to the hospital. Immediately upon arrival to l & d I was hooked up to IVs and was laid down. They said my bp 170/124 and it was serious enough that we would have to deliver early, but Danica had a very good chance of survival. It was the "chance of survival" portion of the sentence that I focused in on and it did NOTHING to help my blood pressure. I was so scared that by the time my husband got there I was a wreck. He stayed for a few hours, but I told him to go home, take a shower, get a good nights sleep and come back with stuff for a few days. It was so scary. My first baby and there were life threatening complications for both of us. Whether it was just a chance it would be life threatening or not, it scared me to death. That first night alone in the hospital was horrible. I just kept crying and apologizing to Danica. I felt like it was my fault she was in trouble, even if it wasn't. (Horomones) The next day they put a pill up in there to get things softened, and I got my first catheter. I wasn't allowed to sit up all the way and definitely wasn't allowed out of bed. I managed to get a sponge bath that day to keep my sanity. Thursday they started me on Pitocin, which was no fun at all, I got nowhere fast. And the magnesium I was on for my bp made my legs shake and my hips hurt. At this point I was beyond frustrated, I just wanted them to speed things along and it seemed like they changed their mind as to when I would deliver. But Friday I got started on more Pitocin after lunch and progressed pretty well. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The contractions felt like the cramps I have when I eat dairy products. They hurt but were manageable. I made it to 4cm without any pain meds and when they suggested the epidural I made sure it would last for the important part. I dozed off for a little after the epidural, because it finally made me stop shaking ( I was still on Magnesium). But then Danica's heartbeat was having problems and they upped my pitocin. I hadn't taken my labor classes yet so I had no clue what to do and whenever I pushed I groaned. My doctor came up to me and said "Look, I dont mind hearing you groan but its doing nothing for you, use that energy to push down with your muscles." The contractions were coming too fast, I had everyone there ready to get here, a NICU team, my doctor, my nurse, my husband, but I couldn't keep up with the pushing. They turned down the Pitocin and everything stopped. So they sent the NICU team back upstairs and my doctor went for a coffee. Which was crazy, I was there pushing out a baby and he goes for a coffee! But by the time he got back things were underway, I was pushing good and things were moving. Apparently they went too fast, I pushed out her head and everything started burning, they were yelling at me to stop pushing but it hurt too much so I pushed her out before everyone was ready. And no one did anything for a few minutes. I remember saying over and over "Is she breathing? Is she breathing?" The NICU team came back down in what seemed like hours, and took her aside and did all the tests they needed to. When I pushed out the afterbirth I remember looking down and saying "That's ***** disgusting" Which made my doctor laugh. They brought her back over and let me know she was having a hard time breathing but they put her on my chest and I got to say hi to her before she went upstairs to the NICU. We got a family picture too.

I was in the hospital for a week total, it took two days before I could get out of bed to go see her up in the NICU, she had Respiratory Distress and was Jaundiced and weighed a total of 3lbs 13oz. But she was a fighter from the beginning, Wiggling around and flinging her IV around her Isolette like it weighed nothing. Such a champ. She won over the hearts of all her nurses and did so well she was out of there in a month.

It was scary and nerve wracking, but I was so happy with how the doctors handled everything and how tough my little one was, and is. She is the toughest girl I know, and I am so proud of my little tiger. From 3lbs to 11 in 3 months, and developing like a normal baby, not delayed like her doctors said she'd be. I'm so proud of my little girl, my angel baby, my daughter.

Thank you Heatherw97 for the amazing siggy
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0