Log In Sign Up

Mason Alexander's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 3,001
Mason Alexander's birth:

Wednesday, May 27th I started feeling ill around 3:30-4:00 pm. I felt feverish and crampy while I was at Camp Lincoln making up my annual training for the National Guard. I told Mike, and when we came home, I went straight to the bathroom and ran a warm bath. After that, I took some tylenol and went to bed for about four hours. I started feeling a little better, but not 100%. We went to sleep that night, and woke up the next morning and went back to Camp Lincoln. Around the same time on Thursday I started feeling crampy and feverish again. I took 500 mg of tylenol right then, but never felt any relief from it. When we were getting ready to leave, the guys said their goodbyes and that they'd see us tomorrow. I just looked at them and said, "Maybe." My cramps were stronger than they were the day before, and I just really felt awful. I went inside again, and headed to the bathroom. After taking a bath, and lying down for about an hour and a half with no relief, I told DH that I thought we should at least call the dr. We attempted to take my temperature, but we were using an ear thermometer and received many varied readings. We spoke with the dr, and though she didn't seem too concerned, she said we should probably come in just to be checked out. That wasn't exactly what we wanted to do since the hospital I had to deliver at was an hour and a half away, but we went ahead and packed everything up and headed over.

Once in the l&d room at the hospital, the nurse took my vitals and hooked me up to the monitor. It turned out that I actually did have a fever of 100.7° F, and those cramps were actually contractions. They went ahead and started an IV and ran fluids, along with three or four different antibiotics. My fever eventually dropped to 99.5°F, but the contractions persisted. After about 4-5 hours of fluids and antibiotics, my OB came in to see me (she had been there for a little while, but was delivering a baby next door). She checked me, and looked at the baby's heart beat. I was still at 3 cm and 60% effaced- no change from my last appointment on Tuesday (when the midwife had stripped my membranes). Mason's heart rate was good, and there were differentials, which they were pleased about, but there were also many times when the heartbeat would drop or rise above the expected normal...and that, they were not excited about. The dr decided that she would go ahead and "augment" my labor in the morning even though according to my first u/s I was only 38 weeks and 3 days (which we haven't protested about since they changed the date since we KNOW when conception happened within a day). She said that at 5 am they would use a cervial ripening agent (I can't remember which medication it was), and then at 8 am they would start pitocin. Then they went ahead and gave me some Ambien to help me get a little bit of sleep before this all went down. That knocked me out...

The next morning, everything got started right on schedule as she said. The contractions picked up, but they were two at a time on top of each other with about three to five minutes in between. They wanted single contractions with one minute intervals, so they upped the pitocin until that's what they got! The contractions weren't too bad, even at a minute apart. Around noon the dr came back in and checked me. I was still only 3 cm and hadn't effaced any further despite having the cervical ripening meds and pitocin hours ago, so she went ahead and broke my water to help move things along. That was a really weird feeling! It was just a huge warm gush! She also suggested going ahead and getting an epidural in the next hour or two if I were going to get one.

After about an hour of really strong contractions, I decided it was probably time to get the epidural. The nurse came in and hooked up another bag of fluids. She said an entire bag had to get into my system before I could have the epidural, and that would take about an hour. That was a little frustrating since I had already been getting rounds of fluids and antibiotics consistently since the night before. So, I ended up having to wait the full two hours before getting the epidural, and even after that time frame, the anesthesiologist was late. The epidural wasn't bad, but it wasn't really easy. The anesthesiologist kept telling me to relax and slump my shoulders, but that was REALLY hard to do while having strong contractions every other minute! The first spot he tried, he hit bone (I didn't feel it since he'd numbed me up), so he had to try again. The second time he got in, and the epidural was underway.

After a little bit of time, it really took effect and I couldn't feel the contractions...or my right leg! I also had a foley put in, which I unfortunately felt the entire time. I had to lie on my right side for the rest of the labor process because any other position made the baby's heart rate drop. I had been checked a few times from then until 5:00 pm, and still hadn't moved. I was getting really nervous that I was just going to completely stall out, and would have to have a c-section. I texted my DDB, Kayla, about how I was feeling, and she called me and reassured me that it could still just happen all of a sudden. She was right!

At the 5:00 pm check, I had finally moved to 4 cm! I gave a sigh of relief that after 12 hours into this "augmentation" I was finally making progress. At 6:15 pm, my midwife came to check on me. At that point I'd moved to 5 cm! Finally, it was really happening!! After she checked me, she looked at the baby's heart rate. It was varying from 112-134, lower than she wanted to see it, and so she and the nurse were going to help me move to a different position again. During this move, I started to feel a lot of pressure, and felt warm gushes down below. I kept saying I thought the foley had come out and I was peeing! DH said he thought it was just my water still leaking since I hadn't moved, but it felt different. I had him check, and it was bright red blood gushing out. At about this time I started feeling the contractions again at full force. The nurse went ahead and paged the anesthesiologist to come back in and up the epidural amount. I started feeling like I needed to have a BM. I know that this is a sign of the baby coming, but I started apologizing to my midwife in advance!! Hah...I could swear I was going to have BM! About five minutes later (while they were still trying to get me moved and situated), I told the midwife I felt like I could push. She told me she "guessed" she could check me again.

When she checked me, she said, "Oh yeah, that's the baby's head right there! You're ready to go!" Then they started rushing to get the room set up. She explained to me how she wanted me to push with the contractions. Right then, I had a strong contraction, and she asked me to breath through it. I made it through it, and they were ready to go. They brought my mom back into the room, and got the mirror once I requested it. A minute later, another contraction was setting in, and it was go time! I took a deep breath, let it out, took another one and pushed! I had two long pushes in that contractions and his little head was almost out! They told me I could go ahead and feel his head while he was crowning, and I did, but it just felt like a little gooey ball. The next contraction came, and this time his head WAS out! One more contraction and the rest of his little body came out! It happened so fast, I think I was in shock. I didn't cry, I felt really detached, like I was watching from outside, but it wasn't really happening to me. They put him on me, and I remember saying "Hi, little man" and as I went to touch him, they swept him away to suction out his lungs.

I watched while I was stitched up as my DH, the very man who had teased me about how I was going to cry and be very emotional, looked over at me with tears in his eyes. I came away with a second degree tear with thirteen stitches, and a sweet little boy whom we named Mason Alexander. He weighed in at 6 lbs 3 oz, and was 19 1/2 inches long.

On a side note, I was very unimpressed with the nursing staff that came in afterwards. After he sat in the warmer for two hours, I was allowed to try and nurse my little guy. Then he was placed back in the warmer, and I didn't get to see him again until over four hours after I delivered him. My mom and dad didn't get to hold him until after that four hour period-- and my dad actually had to leave before then. All he was able to do was look at him, and that wasn't until he was let into the room three hours after he was born. The hospital staff was SO slow, it just really pissed us off! I will not deliver in that hospital again, as they even had separate birthing and post partum rooms, and it wasn't until after 11:40 pm that we were moved to post partum and could even attempt getting any rest. That was really disheartening, considering that I am employed by that hospital!

Anyhow, we ended up having to stay in the hospital the full 48 hours after Mason was born since I was GBS positive, and I had the fever. On Sunday, before we were discharged, the results of my urine test came back showing a GBS positive urine test, so the fever had actually come from the bacteria moving into my urinary tract...but after all the antibiotics, it had to be gone! I have to say that labor wasn't what I expected. It was painful enough that it wasn't something I'd like to do on a daily basis, but nothing that I couldn't do again. I wish that I hadn't had to be induced because I would like to see how labor feels without pitocin (since I hear it intensifies contractions). Hopefully next time will be different, but if it has to be the same, then I'd do it all again! It was worth it!!

Last edited by MJTKNT; June 10th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
June 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,270
Great story!! Things were pretty intense at times and those stitches don't sound like any fun at all!! Hope you heal soon and congrats on your ADORABLE baby boy!


Reply With Quote
June 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,131

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0