Log In Sign Up

Eli Michael's birth, June 14th (very long! I'm rambling!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 01:25 AM
amyhk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 3,686
So, it all started with a salad.

I'm totally joking!

When I went to my 37 week appointment last Tuesday, I was kinda disappointed. My cervix hadn't done ANYTHING since the week before. No dilation, only 30% effaced. I was sure after that appointment that I'd be going at least to my due date, if not beyond. Eli was still measuring big (around 8 pounds) which concerned my doctor and I, because I'm quite petite and he didn't know if I could have a vaginal delivery to a ten pound baby at term. But I decided I'd just take things one day at a time.

Ethan joked around with me that day that even though 37 weeks was "full term," I still wasn't allowed to have the baby until after Thursday, because he had very important work meetings until then. But he promised me that after his last Thursday work meeting he'd try to help me get the baby OUT. Which, in DH's world, means lots of intimate time... so really I think he just wanted an excuse to 'do it' a lot.

Thursday comes and we go out to dinner and eat the infamous maternity salad. I honestly think nothing of it, and I assume I'll be back eating the darn salad a few more times before labor starts. We come back and have a nice evening together.

Friday afternoon I started feeling really crappy. Just very crampy, and I felt like my stomach was doing flips on me. On Friday night, right before I went to bed, I noticed pinkish discharge in my underwear. I didn't think too much of it, since I'd lost chunks of my mucous plug a few weeks earlier. But then, the pink discharge kept coming allll night. I was up every hour, losing more pink mucous, feeling totally crampy and I had a horrible backache. I finally took a Tylenol and got about two hours of sleep at 6 am. But then I still couldn't sleep, so I just got up early that Saturday and started my day. We had a birthday party at 2, so I did some errands, and we went to the party. Later Saturday evening I'm still feeling crappy. Ethan and I are in bed, he's massaging my back to help with the cramps, and one thing leads to another... you get the picture. When that finished up we got a big surprise. Water broke! Everywhere! Ugh it was kinda gross! So we freaked out and stripped the sheets off the bed. I called the doctor to ask what I should do. The doc on call said to go into hospital, so off we went.

My water broke at around 8 pm, and we arrived at the hospital close to 10 pm. I still had no contractions. So, at 10:30 pm they started me on a pitocin drip to jump start labor. I was still barely a fingertip dilated, and only 50% effaced. I knew I was in for a long night.

The pitocin was fine until around 3am, and then the contractions really started to get painful. At that point I got an epidural. It was pretty hard to sit still during the contractions, but I had to be perfectly still for the needle. That was the most torturous part. Once the needle was in and the pain got better, I was able to sleep a little bit. At 6 am I had finally made progress and I was at 4 cm! So I was moved to the active labor room.

And then... I stayed at 4 cm for six more hours. It was very frustrating. My doctor kept coming in to check my progress, and NOTHING. He kept upping my pitocin, which led to me needing more epidural, but at 12:30 pm on Sunday I was still only at 4cm. I was sure I was destined for the c-section at that point.

My doctor said, well, the surgery room is occupied anyway because someone is getting a section in there at the moment, and it won't be free for another hour. So, as a last ditch effort, he ups my pitocin drip one last time and said he'll be back in an hour to make a decision.

And then... the most pain half hour of my life!

As soon as my doctor left, the contractions got much much worse. There were barely any intervals between them and they were getting more and more painful. I didn't have a chance to ask for more epidural, and despite the epidural already in my system, I could feel EVERYTHING. Thank god my mom was still in the room with me, and Ethan had paid attention during childbirth classes. They really helped during that half hour. For some reason, my doctor came back earlier than expected, checked my cervix, and told me I now was at 9.5 cm and I was ready to push!! I cried with relief, I had been in transition labor! And I still had a chance to deliver vaginally!

Then my doctor checks again and warns me I will be pushing for a long time to get the little guy out. Eli was still higher up than they would have liked... I later learned the reason was his head size. I pushed from around 1pm to 3:30 pm with few breaks. I got him down to station 4. He ALMOST crowned. I was soo tired by the end that the doctor offered help with a vacuum extraction, which I gladly accepted. We tried three times with the vacuum, and then my doctor called it quits. It seems that Eli's skull bone was catching my pelvic bone, and no amount of pushing or suction would get him past that without serious risk to one or both of us. I was a classic case of CPD (cephalo-pelvic disproportion). This was my fear all along, that I wouldn't be able to push out a big-headed baby. But at that moment I was so tired and I knew there was no other option.

I was prepped for the surgery, and at 4:13 pm, Eli Michael was born! I was unfortunately shaking so hard after the section from the anesthesia that I couldn't hold Eli until about 4 hours later. Eli also spent the first 24 hours in the observation nursery for breathing problems, which is a common problem for c-section babies. I also had developed a fever during labor and they wanted to make sure he didn't have an infection. Eli is perfectly healthy now, no breathing issues, and he has been rooming with us since that first night. The surgery incision is painful and I hope it gets better soon. We're breastfeeding but having latch problems, so beween that and recovering from surgery I have a lot on my plate right now!

Gosh, this was long. Thanks to anyone who read all the way through! We are finally going home tomorrow (Thursday). Can't wait to share more stories about my little man, and to hear about all of your labor and birth adventures!
Amy, mommy to Eli Michael, June 14 2009

Last edited by amyhk; June 18th, 2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: small details
Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern OH
Posts: 3,488
Wow what a time you had mama! great story though, with a happy ending Little Eli is adorable...cant wait to see more pictures of him when you get home. I hope you heal up quickly, and can enjoy your time with little man these first few weeks without too much pain!
Congratulations to you and Ethan again!!
Mom to:
Samantha 7-11-87, Scott 9-5-90, Dustin 7-20-91,
Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
fairy9800's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 8,658
Send a message via Yahoo to fairy9800
What a story!!! Thank you for sharing with us. I can't wait to see some more pics. CONGRATS MAMA!!
Thank you Mrs. Jantzen for my wonderful siggy!

Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 41,401
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,909
Congrats on your little man!
///...........................Lauren, wife to Jay, mom to Wesley and Ruby


................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
AndreaRenee's Avatar raising boys...
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 6,053
I really enjoyed your story... every detail! and seriously in one more week I'm going to eat that salad and dtd with dh! those 2 things seemed to work for ya! cant wait to see pics of Eli at home!
Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,779
I loved your story! You really put in such a huge effort to get that baby out, what a great job!!!
Expecting our one and only little PRINCE!!

Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 2,802
What a good story. Congrats on your little guy!
Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Gracie2345's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 954
Wow, that was quite a story, you are a trooper! Congratulations on Eli.

Reply With Quote
June 18th, 2009, 11:55 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Depends on the day....Earth :D
Posts: 28,951
Congrats!! I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Reply With Quote
June 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
monilove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,093
Wow....I'm glad you and baby are fine!
AGAPE LOVE!!! Born date 7/29/09
Bryce Anthony aka "My Yoshi"
Reply With Quote
June 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,478
Thanks for sharing! Your story reminds me so much of my own with my last son, and it's funny because he was 8 lbs 1 oz. just like your son and I'm about the same size as you. I've been on the fence about pushing for a VBAC or not, but after reading your story I'm starting to think that I'm OK with a scheduled section. I'm glad I tried once, but after reading your post I know I don't want to try that again. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

Reply With Quote
June 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 4,517
Married 8/11/90 ~ Terry Bechor m/c'd 11/26/03, Thomas A. III m/c'd 7/15/04,
Sarah E. born 6/24/05, Tabitha Zipporah m/c'd 4/?/06, Theodore David m/c'd 8/27/06,
Taylor Lynn m/c'd 2/07/07, Benjamin E. born 3/25/08, Catherine A. born 6/03/09

Reply With Quote
July 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,312
Send a message via Yahoo to sharitamiles
Congrats on your little man.

Thanks *Sharon* for my beautiful siggy.

Reply With Quote
July 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 8,464
what a great birth story, congratulations!!
Thanks to Claire1979 for my gorgeous siggy!
Reply With Quote
July 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 28,941
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Congrats!! Glad he is here safe and sound!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0