Log In Sign Up

Benjamin Kenneth 7/25

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,801
Send a message via AIM to SFOTraveler
As you all know, my pregnancy this time around was pretty rough. I got HUGE right away, and towards the end, I waddled, couldn't sleep, was constantly in pain, and lucky Roger had to deal with a she-devil for a few months. So, as you can imagine I could not wait for Benji to come on out and play!

At 38 weeks and some change, I had a doctor appointment and asked my doctor to strip my membranes, with the hope that it would get labor going. She wouldn't do it. But she did check my progress and I was barely dilated and she said that my cervix was "ripe".... whatever that meant.

The next week, Friday, July 24, at 5PM I had another appointment with a different midwife. She OFFERED to strip them and I practically jumped on the table to have her do it! She did it, and it was mildly uncomfy, but nothing serious. She was able to stretch me to a 3, and said that I was 50% effaced (the cervix must thin before childbirth, so I was halfway there). She too said that my cervix was very ripe and that I could be having Benji any day.... it was just a matter of my body kicking into gear! So, needless to say, I left the appointment with a HUGE smile on my face and the prayer that I would go into labor within the next couple days.

Couple days?! Try couple hours!!!!!!

Roger and Aidan were at the appointment with me, and we decided to go out to dinner at Paradise Pizza before heading over to my mom's house. We had dinner and I was cramping, but I attributed it to the membrane stripping and figured that it probably wasn't anything special. Afterall, it took 2 sweeps with Aidan to make her come out.

After dinner and us getting to my mom's, I decided that Benji WAS COMING OUT!!! I went on a brisk walk down to the grove, through the meadow, and back up "heart attack hill". I had gone up and down the hill twice that morning and nothing happened, so I was praying for some better results. My cramps were definitely stronger and I did notice that they had somewhat of a rhythm... I was having to breathe through and remind myself that "I want this kid out TODAY!". Once I got back to my mom's I had Roger start timing them. Every 4 minutes, lasting 30-45 seconds. Wow. Progress!

I had had false labor in my 32nd week so Roger and I knew that they could possibly go away. He suggested going home, laying down, and showering and seeing how things went. I agreed that was probably a good idea, and since the contractions didn't last a minute in duration, I thought I wasn't following 4-1-1 or 5-1-1 or whatever the hospital tells you.

We went home and I called the hospital and the nurse told me "oh ok, yeah I remember you, if you need to come in no problem. Maybe wait til they are 2-3 mins apart or come in if you feel you need to". Not exactly the most encouraging message.

Well, the contractions did NOT go away after a shower, so we had my mom come over at around 10:15PM and after taking some last belly pics, we headed to the hospital.

We arrived very close to 11PM. Shift change. Ugh. The first words out of my mouth upon entering the L&D ward were "I want an epidural". And I wasn't kidding! THe contractions were so strong and close together! I had stopped timing them because it seemed pointless. All I could think was "I soooo do not remember this with Aidan!".

They put me in Labor and Delivery room #1, and I ended up with a big black nurse from London named Sharon. I had met her when I was pregnant with Aidan and she was interesting to say the least. The midwife came to check me and I was the exact same as earlier in the day at the doctor! WHAT THE HECK?! She said that she had heard me say I want an epi, but that it would most likely stall my labor and make me stay all night. I said NO PROBLEM!!!!!! I just wanted pain relief and I wanted it NOW. Nothing was curbing the pain from the contractions!

About 30 minutes later, I was literally screaming in pain and Sharon came in and basically yelled at me for making so much noise and told me that I had to breathe through them and get control of myself because she wasn't going to give me me IV If I was screaming and something about "we have to do things safely around here". I told Roger "I ******* HATE HER!" and continued trying to breathe through the contractions. Apparently they have to draw labs before you can get an epi, which all I could think was "OMG this is going to take AT LEAST an hour!" and I just kept telling her to HURRY. 10 minutes after the IV and blood draw another nurse comes in and tells me that they have to take another vial because one clotted. OMG. OMG OMG. Another 10 mins to get it to the lab. 10 to diagnose. Who knows when the anesthesiologist is gonna get there..... I knew it would be an hour or so before my epi. Not good.

Sharon offered me Fentanyl (I think that's how you spell it) and I of course said give me 10 doses because the pain was just excruciating. The contractions were just one after another and I was trying to breathe through them making some funky shhhh sound. Where I picked that up, I have no idea. Roger was trying to calm me down and telling me that they were coming with the epi. The fentanyl felt good for literally 20 seconds until I had a contraction. I would NOT call it a painkiller by any means.. it's just a narcotic. You feel drunk.

A few minutes later, I felt a POP! And TONS of pressure. I screamed pretty much as loud as I could. Roger went running for the nurse, and later admitted that he thought I was just over-reacting, seeing as I am not a good pain person. The nurse and midwife came running, the midwife checked me and said "ok, time to have a baby!". My response "NO I DONT HAVE AN EPIDURAL!!!!!". Sharon, my bff, said something like "Well as soon as you push baby out, you don't ever have to do this again, so let's go!". At this point I realized, there really was no epidural and I better push til my brains popped out so I didn't die of pain!

24 minutes of pushing and out came Benji! All 9lbs 5oz of him!!!!! I think my pushing abilities shocked both Roger and myself. There was a TON of amniotic fluid because I had polyhydramios or whatever that is called, and as it turned out there was a little bit of meconium so they had called the pediatrician to check out Benji upon arrival. But all in all the birth went perfectly! I didn't even tear. Which shocked the heck out of me.

So, at 12:44AM (the nurses came back to get the contraction strip because they were arguing over 12:44 or 12:46) Benjamin Kenneth Barr entered the world. 9lbs 5oz, 21 3/4 inches long with a 13.5in head full of brown spiky hair!! He looks so much like me but he did inherit the Barr chin dimple. I became the rock star of the maternity ward with my 1hr 45 min labor and a 9.5lber and no epi.

Roger and I are both so incredibly thrilled with "baby boy" and Aidan loves kissing and petting "brudder". Life with 2 is a challenge, but they are both so amazing it makes it a lot easier!
Alexis, mom to Benjamin and :

Thanks cavewoman!
Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
BrittneyLA's Avatar Mom of three boys!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,791
OMG i hate the nurse for you!!! But good for you for making it natural whether you wanted it or not!!!! Cant wait for some pics
Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 4,517
You did FANTASTIC!!! Wow! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see pictures!
Married 8/11/90 ~ Terry Bechor m/c'd 11/26/03, Thomas A. III m/c'd 7/15/04,
Sarah E. born 6/24/05, Tabitha Zipporah m/c'd 4/?/06, Theodore David m/c'd 8/27/06,
Taylor Lynn m/c'd 2/07/07, Benjamin E. born 3/25/08, Catherine A. born 6/03/09

Reply With Quote
July 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern OH
Posts: 3,488
LOLOL Sharon your "BFF".... hysterical
great job mama! congrats!!
Mom to:
Samantha 7-11-87, Scott 9-5-90, Dustin 7-20-91,
Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

Reply With Quote
July 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 41,401
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0