Jacob Ryan, September 26, 2009

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM
~Ivy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry it took me so long to get this up, it's been a heck of a week....

On Saturday, September 26, I woke up at 4:00 am startled. I had no idea why. So I laid there for a while trying to relax when I realized I just could not get comfortable. My back ached and I was cramping. And then I felt a good contraction. So I got up and went potty hoping that would help. Nope. So then I went to the kitchen and made myself some tea thinking I just needed something to drink. Nothing. COntractions were coming at regular intervals. By 8:00 I was worried, so Dh and I went to L&D. By the time we got there, I was dilated to a 2 and 60% effaced. The doc wanted me monitored for a few hours to see if the contractions really had a pattern and if I had any more change. After that three hours, I was 2.5 cm and 70% effaced so the doc decided it was time to have a baby. We all figured since I was just about 35 weeks and had had the steroid shots, Jake wouldn't have problems. He may even go home with me. Even the nurses said so.

So I was hooked up to pitocin to help the labor along. After an hour on the pit, I was 4 cm and 80%. We were excited and figured baby would be here very soon. I got my epidural at about 5:00 pm and took a nap. I was re checked at about 7:00 and nothing at all had changed. THe nurse became concerned and checked to see where baby was positioned. Well, he had moved and was trying to come out elbow first. She told me that they would probably give me all night to labor and if I was still stalled in the morning, they would section me. So my mom and Dh both left. Dh went to go get my bag and we figured my mom would be there in the morning. This was at about 7:30.

10 minutes later, my doc comes rushing in and checks me. And gives me the shock of my life when he says I need to be sectioned NOW. Baby won't budge from the position he's in (the doc tried) and my labor will not continue if Jake can't move into the birth canal. So I'm panicked. I call my DH and beg him to hurry back and try to call my mom (who doesn't answer her phone while driving.) They prep me and I sign all the consents (including the one to tie my tubes.) As they are wheeling me out of my room, Dh runs in. They throw his operating room attire at him and say HURRY!

As I'm laying in the OR, I start to get really scared. And I tell the anesthesiologist so. I'm also asking for my husband over and over again. I did not handle it well. I was shaking like a leaf and in a blind panic. Finally, they let my Dh in. He sat down next to me, held my hand and said, "It's ok honey. You're doing great. You're gonna be fine..." He knew exactly what I needed to hear.

So the doc does his thing and then I'm told by the nurse that I'm going to feel the doc tugging and pushing on my belly. So I feel it and....nothing. No baby. And I hear the doc say, "he's not coming out this way either!" So the nurse grabs a stool for the doc to stand on and he really goes to town trying to get this baby out. and then I hear someone say, "Dad, come watch your baby come out!" I hear DH cry out "OH my God here he comes!" and then I hear Jake cry....And of course I cried like a freaking maniac. The child screamed and cried and then got sooo quiet. I couldn't hear what was going on, but someone came and showed the baby to me. My first thought was "Oh dear God he's so small...what have we done?" ANd then he was gone. So they finished up with me and wheeled me into recovery.

I was given an obscene amount of medication and waited to hear news of Jake. Not long after, Dh comes in and tells me Jake is having a hard time breathing. He was immediately put on CPAP. He weighed 4lbs 12oz and was 17 3/4 inches long. And he was not developed as a 35 weeker should be. He was only developed to 33 weeks.

He did well on CPAP for a while but then had to be intubated Sunday night. Thank God he's making major steps every day. And will hopefully be home soon. He's not the same fragile little guy he was a week ago. He's so strong.

Im dealing with a lot of guilt and anger over the situation. I wish I could have done better by him. The whole pregnancy was such an ordeal. And I have a funny feeling that something was either wrong with the placenta or the cord. He should have been a 35 weeker, I know for a fact. My dates were perfectly on with the 900 ultrasounds I had. So the fact that he came out when he did is probably the best thing for him. But he's had to struggle and I hate that.

So we are officially done having kids. It's just too dangerous for me and for the babies. Our family is now 100% complete. We are very happy our Jake is here and can't wait to have him home.

My Blog

October 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Stephanie_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That was a great yet scary story! I am just so glad that Jake is doing so much better now. He is so very strong just like his Mommy Thanks so much for sharing!

Big thanks to *Kiliki* for my GORGEOUS siggy!
[/URL]
October 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
what an ordeal to go through. i'm glad you and jake are both doing well now. i cant wait to see more pics of him...esp ones you've taken at home.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
EOD_wife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing, but try not to "beat yourself up"! You did a wonderful job keeping him in there as long as you did! I am so glad he is getting stronger every day :-)
October 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You did everything you could for Jake and he's going to be a big, healthy baby in no time! He's doing so good every day I'm happy for you guys. Congrats!!
October 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Thanks for sharing!

October 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
You did everything you could for lil Jake! I'm glad to hear he is getting stronger and stronger everyday. Thank you for sharing your story! T&P!!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
October 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for sharing your story!

October 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the story, I am so glad Jake is doing so well.
October 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
jovon_84's Avatar Super Mommy
You did a great job and he will be home soon.

October 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
i just saw this! Congratulations on the birth of Jake. I'm so sorry you didn't have an ideal experience. I hope Jake continues to improve in the NICU.

October 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
Thanks for sharing your story-I'm so glad that little Jake is improving. ((HUGS)) his birth story brought tears to my eyes!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
October 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so happy to hear he's doing so well.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! I'm sorry things were so scary for you. I hope your little man is doing okay.

October 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
*Luv my kids*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Luv my kids* Send a message via Yahoo to *Luv my kids*
I am sorry that you had to go through all that! I am so glad that all is well! Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 13th, 2009, 02:31 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
Sounds like you had a strong support system. So happy to hear Jake is doing better. Welcome Jake!!! You did a wonderful job, by the way.
October 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
AmandaR
Thanks for sharing your story. Happy little Jake is home with his family now!
October 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
How scary and touching. I teared up reading your story. I'm glad Jake is strong and doing so well and that you are recovering. Congratulations on the birth of your son and welcome to the world, baby Jake!

October 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Congrats hun
October 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
I'm glad hes doing well, congrats on your now complete family =)

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search