Log In Sign Up

Owen Hugh 10/12/09 *Pics Added*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Courtney_79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,070
Send a message via Yahoo to Courtney_79
Hi ladies...I know I havent' been around in quite awhile, but I thought I would drop by and share my birth story with everyone.

I went for my 36 week ultrasound on Weds, October 7 and all was well with the u/s. They estimated my peanut at 6 lbs, 12 ozs and guesstimated him to be an upper 8 pouner if we went full term. After that my doc came in to see me and after assessing my urine and BP...I was sent down to L&D for a NST and find out I have mild preeclapsia and was put on modified bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. At that time I was told that they wanted to 'try' and get me to 37 weeks and they wanted me in every other day for NST. On Saturday the 10th, after my test, the docotr on call came in and decided it would be best to induce me that night. I was beyond shocked! I had so much to do yet and was just not ready for this!!! After frantically calling my mom, DH and going home for my bags and to eat something...I was admitted at 3pm and was gived cervadil and a magnesium drip at 5:30pm.

The next morning, they took out the cervadil and I was 50% effaced and 2 cm dialted, so they started my pitocin at 11am on a very small dose. By 3pm I had not made any more progress, so they up'd the pitocin and inserted some balloon type mechanism (LOL...I dont remember what it was called. The magnesium made me completely out of it!) to help me dilate more. At around 7pm I went into the bathroom and the balloon had fallen out and I was 4cm and 70% effaced. I forgot to mention that I was on only 20 cc's of water due to the magnesium drip. I think that was the worst part of the entire experience. Lord knows when you start breathing through contractions you get cotton mouth!
AT that time the were upping the pitocin every 15 minutes and by 11pm I was on the highest dose allowed, and to be honest, I am much stronger than I thought. The contractions were not as bad as I had been imagining for so long!! At about midnight I finally gave in and got the epidural, just so I could hopefully get a few hours of sleep. I was still only 4cm and 70% effaced, so the doc wanted to give me a couple of hours and see where I was then we would proceed from there. I woke at 2am, and was still not progressing. I was tired, thirsty and DONE. I told the nurse to page the doctor because I wanted a c-section. Now I am the person who was scared out of my mind of a c-secion and swore I would do everything in my power to not have one. The thing that really made me decide on it was that Owen's heart rate was dipping everytime I had a contraction and it scared me...plus the nurse told me we could still be looking at about up to 12 hours if I wanted to deliver vaginally. I just could not do it.

Finally at about 2:45am on Monday, October 12th (36 hours after I was admitted) I was wheeled into the delivery room and Owen was born at 3:10am. They gave me something that made me pretty tranquil though the whole thing because I was panicked and shaky. I don't remember much, but I heard him cry for the first time and heard DH talking to him although it felt like they were a million miles away from me. He weighed 6 pounds even and was 20 inches long.

They knew right away that he was having some lung issues so they monitored him closely. AT 7:30am they came in to inform us that they were transporting him to Akron Children's Hospital because he has a bit of fluid in his lungs and he was working a little too hard to breath. I have never cried so hard in my life as when the transport team wheeled my baby in and I had to say goodbye. I didnt even get to hold him, because it took awhile for me to become conscious again after the surgery. He was so tiny in that huge transport unit Thankfully the nurses in my hospital were a God send and were wonderful in comforting me and reassuring me that it was the right thing to do in sending him there. Akron is a level 4 NICU and my hospital just doesnt compare to that. That night I was lying in bed and could feel my breasts getting fuller and I started feeling guilty that I wasnt doing everything in MY power to get him better. I had every intention of bottle feeding until that point, so I called in the nuse and she got me set up with a breast pump. My DH has been so wonderful this week. He went and spent time with Owen in the NICU and transported my brest milk to and from Akron twice a day for 2 days until I was released from the hospital. I couldnt stand the thought of my baby being all alone in that NICU, so DH stayed 4-5 hours at a time. I think it was a nice bonding experience for him and Owen.

Wednesday I was released at around noon and we went right up to the hospital to see him. He was getting stronger each day, and was using less and less oxygen. As soon as I saw him I knew everything would be ok...and all of the pain I had from that surgery went away as soon as I was able to touch him. It was surreal for me because I had this huge belly one minute, and the next I am back to normal size and I still hadnt held my baby so he didnt even seem real to me until that moment. On Thurseday I was FINALLY able to get him out and hold him and they let me nurse him. He took to it rather well for the first time, and on Friday he was an old pro at it. Deciding to breast feed was the best decision I have ever made. I am still pumping a lot because he still isnt eating a whole lot, but I am glad I did what I did.

I called up to check on hium Sunday morning and they told me he was getting his first vaccine, getting tranferred to an open air bed and to bring my car seat so they could do a carseat challenge on him. They planned on sending him home Monday evening. I cried...again...because finally our little family could be together. This was the hardest, most stressful and emotionally challenged week of my life. I got to know a couple of other NICU mothers and I realized how truly blessed we are that he was only in for a week. What little fighter I have! Well that's our story...I will add some pics later. I have a hungry little boy to feed at the moment

Before they took him to NICU (dont mind how awfful I look lol)

The day I first saw him

My perfect baby!! This is the best picture ever

Last edited by Courtney_79; October 21st, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
congratulations!! I'm sorry to hear he had some troubles at birth. Where are you located at? We take my daughter Madisyn to Akron children's hospital! she's mildly autistic and that's where her neurologist is at.
Chris mom to 4 girls: Ashleigh, Madisyn, Emely, & Cathryn

Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ID
Posts: 4,214
Congratulations on the arrival of your little Owen, I'm sorry things were so tough at first, but am glad to hear they are going well now. Hope they continue to go well, Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Courtney_79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,070
Send a message via Yahoo to Courtney_79
Thanks ladies! Things are perfect now and thats all that matters to me! Chris...I am in Medina, so luckily not too terribly far from Akron. Where are you located?
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,186
congratulations! thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear about the complications but happy to hear your lil boy is doing well! I love the name by the way!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
courtney i'm in Leetonia. It's about an hours drive from Akron. I did a mapquest and i'm about 1 hr 30 min from medina.
Chris mom to 4 girls: Ashleigh, Madisyn, Emely, & Cathryn

Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM
nicole09's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 980
wow that brought tears to my eyes. im so glad Owen is doing better and I love that blonde hair. He truely is a fighter. congrats!!

Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
chloe2005's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 823
What a gorgeous little boy...congratulations!
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Batesville, MS
Posts: 4,909
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
glad to hear you and baby are both home and happy now
Elizabeth, mommy to Judge and Zavier, and crossing fingers for an Ellen Paige this December!

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 213
He's such a cutie!
Randa Lyn Clark
Married June 21st, 2008
Expecting Our First in November

Reply With Quote
October 22nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: washington state.
Posts: 21,372
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
How cute!!
Nessa proud married working mother of three kids in Washington state. Trying to raise our family of five as LDS. Taking life one day at a time.
Jordan - 6 yr; Stan - 4 yr; & Tyler - 2 yr.
Reply With Quote
October 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Julie_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,934
Wow, what a story and that was so sweet of your DH to do what he did. Congratulations Mama!

Reply With Quote
October 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,407
He's beautiful, and I'm so glad he's home with you! Congrats!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,648
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
Congratulations! I am sorry things didn't go according to plan and that he was unable to be with you for a few days. So glad to hear he is doing well and that you gt to hold him. He looks adorable!
![/B] Thank you for the awesome siggy misfitinmn
Reply With Quote
November 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lame-o Illinois
Posts: 12,234
I'm just dropping in, when I was born in 88 I was transferred to Akron children's hospital because I was 8 weeks early and not doing well at all. I am sorry your delivery was so long, but I am so glad Owen is ok!
Amelia: Wife to Ryan, Mama to Harleigh, with a boy on the way
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0