Log In Sign Up

Connor Michael - October 21st, 2009

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2009, 05:22 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Benning, GA
Posts: 6,860
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Sorry it has taken me several days to get this posted. I kept meaning to but kept putting it off. Well here goes....Sorry if its long!

Connor Michael
Born: October 21st, 2009 @ 3:03pm
Weighing 7lbs 12oz and 19 1/2 inches

As most of you know I was pretty miserable! Lots of pain and I was constantly praying I would go into labor! On Tuesday (Oct 20th)I woke up with a completely different attitude. I decided to stop winning, and constantly remind myself how lucky I was. I reached Full Term and the baby was doing good! All the pain and misery is worth it to give my baby as much time as he needed to prepare for life outside my belly! I spent the day cleaning and doing laundry. I actually got a lot more done than I normally would get done on an average day.

Shortly after getting my girls and myself dinner I started to not feel so good. My body was achy and I had the slightest headache. I felt similar to how you might feel at the start of getting the flu. I wrote it off to over doing it, activity wise, during the day. I decided to go get in the shower in hopes of it helping me relax and feel better. At the conclusion of the shower I was actually feeling a bit worse. So instead of getting dressed I just wrapped a towel around my wet hair then climbed into bed. DH got home 15 minutes later. DH offered to helped ME get dressed. After helping me stand up he asked me if my water broke or if I was leaking. I said no then asked him why. So he pointed at the puddle on the bed. I chalked it off to not drying off completely and he asked me to go in and get checked to be on the safe side.

After getting the girls off to the neighbors we headed to L&D. We got there around 7:30pm. That hooked me up to be monitored for a bit. I was having contractions but nothing I felt and nothing regular. After being monitored for about 30 minutes the on call midwife comes in. She does the check to see if my water broke and to check for dilation. I was dilated to 4 cms and the test for amniotic fluid came back negative like I figured it would. Then They did an ultrasound to check fluid levels. Apparently the baby wasn't looking good on the monitor. However, Baby looked great on the ultrasound. So they wanted to monitor baby a bit longer before letting me go home. After an hour on the darn monitor the nurse comes in and says that their going to admit me just for continued monitoring with a chance being induced. By the time I was done with all the admittance paperwork and moved to my room it was around 11pm. We really didn't know much because we still hadn't talked to the midwife yet.

Just after midnight the midwife finally comes in to talk to us. She walks in and says they will be going ahead with an induction. After reviewing my records she came across my results from my NST on Monday. The NST from Monday took an abnormal amount of time to get baby to pass. So combined with those results, the fact that baby still wasn't looking good on the monitor and the fact that I was past 38 weeks pregnant she felt it was best for baby to induce.

DH left to run home to eat because he still had not had dinner. While DH was gone the happy man showed up (1am) to get my epidural started. I wanted the epidural before any thing else to try and avoid as much pain as possible. At around 2am after the epidural had kicked in they started the induction with getting pitocin going. I wanted my body to do most of the progress so I allowed them to use pitocin as long as it was only on the lowest possible setting. An hour later (3am) my midwife came in to see if there was any progression. Surprisingly I was already at 6cm. All the staff started taking bets on if I would deliver before change of staff at 7am.

Around 4am my epidural started to no longer work. I could feel contractions but they weren't bad. the put a call in for the happy man to come back to see why the epidural was no longer working. He messed around with the epidural for about an hour but couldn't really get it to work. So instead he gave me some strong *** narcotics through the epidural. (personally I felt like he was half a$$ing doing his job until shift change) The narcotics started to kick in around 5:30am. Unfortunately a hour later the narcotics were waring off. By this point the contractions are killing me. I am in tons of pain. (relief only lasted like 45 minutes) My midwife came in right before **** change to check me. I was only 7cms. She told me she was heading home and my new midwife would be in shortly. She also said she would put in a call to get the happy man back. (which she forgot to do!)

Around 8am my new midwife came in. Along with her was a Dr in training who would also be my Dr. I really liked this new midwife. She explained to me that she was very old fashioned. (She is an older lady) She told us that she likes to do things the way they did them years ago because she feels that most the mistakes made now days are due to relying to much on technology and rushing things. She sounded like a great mid wife so I was happy. While she was there she checked me. Still only 7cm!

8:30am - The new anesthesiologist (a woman this time - who I will refer to as the happy woman) showed up to try and get me some relief. around 9:15am I started to get some relief. unfortunately it didn't last. I was back to feeling everything by 11am. At that point I was still 7cms and the happy lady was pretty much in my room full time trying to figure out what was going on with my epidural.

12:30pm - The happy lady decided to redo the epidural. By 1:15pm the new epidural was in place and it was pure magic and I was finally pain free. Oh and I finally got over the 7cm hump. I was officially 8cms!!

2:30pm - The good news - I was finally fully dilated. The bad news - the epidural was wearing off and we were waiting for the happy lady to come back and up the meds. unfortunately she showed up to late. The midwife was going to talk the student Dr through everything but the student Dr was going to actually deliver me. So I start pushing! On the 4Th set of pushes the two delivering me tell me his head is stuck and to not push big hard pushes. In stead do short little pushes while they get his head unstuck and then the student Dr will guide the head out while I push. The student Dr was about to give me an episiotomy but the mid wife stopped him then went and grabbed some baby shampoo to rub on the babies head. Which helped him slide out. Once the head was out his shoulder got stuck. It took a minute or two to get his shoulder unstuck then @ 3:03p.m. Connor Michael slide right out. Even with all those issues at the end of the delivery I didn't tear and didn't end up with an episiotomy. Thanks to my old fashioned mid wife. Connor scored and 8 and 9 on his apgar. The though he was having some difficulty breathing because he kept grunting. After several through checks they concluded that he was just having a hard time adjusting to being outside but was perfectly healthy. The grunting was his way of comforting himself. He finally stopped once they gave him to me.

Of course it was love at first sight! 3 hours later my DH showed up with Subway (man its nice not to have to followed a gestational diabeates diet) and my girls! It was great to have all 3 of my kids together. They brought cupcakes and a zero candle. They put the candle on a cupcake then we sang happy birthday to Connor. It was a perfect moment! Needless to say nut this little man didn't take long to win the gearts of this whole family.

I know it was long so if you made it this far thanks you for reading!

Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,033
Great birth story, Robin. Congrats again on your little man. Glad you didn't have to have the episiotomy (or however it is spelled).

Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Lyz's Avatar
Lyz Lyz is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,250
great birth story!! I remember joking with you a few weeks back to see who would have their baby first and looks like we tied!! I'm happy Connor made it here nice and safely. I second the no GD diet!!!

Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,664
Great story! Sounds like a lot of trouble with the epi though which sucks! But overall im glad it all went well and that you have your gorgeous baby boy! Congrats!

Reply With Quote
October 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ID
Posts: 4,214
What a great story, I love that you all sang Happy Birthday to him. And YAY for old an fashioned midwife! I love that she used Shampoo! Congrats!
Reply With Quote
October 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,648
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
I loved your birth story! So happy to hear he is doing great!
![/B] Thank you for the awesome siggy misfitinmn
Reply With Quote
October 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
~*Angela*~'s Avatar aka hack with a camera
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,407
Great birth story! Gotta love the "happy" men and women of epidural world! I know I do!

**Thanks claire1979 for my awesome siggy!**
Reply With Quote
November 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: washington state.
Posts: 21,372
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Congrats Hun
Nessa proud married working mother of three kids in Washington state. Trying to raise our family of five as LDS. Taking life one day at a time.
Jordan - 6 yr; Stan - 4 yr; & Tyler - 2 yr.
Reply With Quote
November 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,440
Great story!! Congrats on your little guy!!! I love that the family sang Happy Birthday to Connor with a "0" on a cupcake SO sweet!!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0