Log In Sign Up

Evelyn Louise October 30

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 13,688
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Evelyn Louise
Friday October 30, 2009
5:51 am
8 pounds 5.5 ounces, 19 inches long
cervadil induction, no pitocin, epidural, vaginal delivery

Towards the end of my pregnancy (around 35 weeks) I ended up getting diagnosed with obstetric cholestatis--a condition that causes the gallbladder and liver to malfunction and instead of producing bile to be used to digest fats and foods properly, it over-produces and spills the bile into my blood. The condition was mostly harmless but quite irritating to me, but posed a big risk to Evelyn.

At 36 weeks the amnio showed the lungs were almost mature, but not quite ready. The next week my OB said we were going to induce that week. The plan was for me to check into the hospital on Thursday October 29 at 6pm, get the cervadil administered, take a sleeping pill, rest, and in the morning remove the cervadil and start pitocin with a goal of delivering late afternoon/ early evening on Friday the 30th.

Ed and Matilda drove me to the hospital and we said our goodbyes and they went home. The hospital was really busy so I didn't even get put on a monitor until about 8. At 8:35 they inserted the cervadil. I was told to lay down for 2 hours, then they would bring me an ambien and start the pit at 9am. The cervadil was supposed to stay in place for 12 hours. 25 minutes later, at 9pm I was having STRONG and PAINFUL contractions. I was in agony laying down. The nurse didn't seem to believe me at first because the cervadil "isn't supposed to cause contractions...." hmmm.... Then she looked at my strip. I WAS having strong contractions--EVERY MINUTE!! This persisted. By 9:30 I felt like I was in transition. I was shaking uncontrollably and vomiting. The nurses called my doctor. I still didn't think things were really going to be progressing that quickly so I just called Ed for a little hello and some support because I felt so terrible, but told him he didn't need to come in yet and to stick with the plan of staying home with Matilda for the night and coming in the morning for the pitocin.

The doctor called back around 10 and told the nurses to remove the cervadil. I was still contracting every minute, still shaking, still sick to my stomach. They removed the cervadil 1 hour and 40 minutes after putting it in. I had dilated another cm, Evelyn had engaged, and my cervix had moved from posterior to anterior and was very very very soft and elastic. The nurse said she had never seen anyone progress that quickly on cervadil before. All I heard was "2cm" and thought "I can't take pain like this much longer.

The nurse said that the Doctor called and thought that the contractions would stop once the cervadil was removed. He wanted me and Evelyn monitored for 1 hour, then take the ambien and start the pit at 5am. I called Ed and gave him the update.

I was finally able to move around and bounce on a ball or sit in a rocking chair at this point, which helped relieve some of the pain, but I still had to concentrate and breathe and hum through the contractions.

An hour later they had not stopped, I had progressed another 2cm and the contractions were even stronger and still coming every minute. They told me to call Ed to come in because this baby was coming.

I called Ed and the epidural man. I'm not exactly sure who I was happier to see! LOL

It took a little while for Ed to get to the hospital because he had to pack all of Matilda's things into the car, wake the poor thing up, take her to his parents, answer a million questions from them all before getting to the hospital. On top of that, he had a cold, which he was trying to hide from the hospital staff because he was afraid they would think it was the swine flu and kick him out. And he forgot his medicine, so shortly after he got there, he left again to get more meds.

By 1 the epidural man finally showed up and I was feeling better. Ed was back, and the nurse said she thought the baby would arrive before 3. I tried to sleep once I was numb. She came back to check me at 2:30 and thought I was complete and called the Dr. Turned out my cervix was funneling so while I was complete on the outside of the cervix I was still only 4 or 5 further up, so I tried to sleep some more.

Around 5:40 she came back to see how I was feeling. I told her I still wasn't feeling any urge to push, but with every contraction I was feeling STRONG pain in a line down the center of my belly and up the middle of my back--which seemed odd because everything else was numb and with Matilda I definitely didn't feel the contractions at this point but DID feel the urge to push. She decided to check me and said "oh my goodness, the baby is right there! Let's try a little practice push." So She and Ed both took a leg and I gave a tiny push and all of a sudden Ed's mouth is hanging open and the nurse is yelling at me "stop pushing, the baby is crowning!" and sends another nurse running for the Dr.

The Dr. got there about 5 minutes later and got things set up. Evelyn was born with just 2 pushes at 5:51 am. I never did feel the urge to push with her, just pushed when I felt the contractions, and didn't even have to push hard. It was such a difference from Matilda (who was face up and took nearly 2 hours to deliver). I did have the same 2nd degree tear that I did with Matilda, but MUCH less swelling since there was barely any pushing!

Before the birth I had worried that it just wouldn't be as "special" as the first time, but it so was. I cried when I saw her. The love and joy were so absolute and amazing. The feelings were the same as the first time in intensity and awe, but now had the added joy of knowing that Matilda had a SISTER! And it was SO cool to hear "it's a girl!!" What an exciting moment!

I got to hold her right away for as long as I wanted and Ed got to cut the cord. That was wonderful. Matilda passed meconium during the delivery so she was whisked away quickly, but I got to examine and hold and love Evelyn right away. She nursed in the first hour and has taken to it like a pro. She's pretty quiet and laid back, hardly ever cries, even when the nurses or doctors examine her. She's a pooping machine!

I missed Matilda though--the hospital changed visitor policies because of H1N1 so M wasn't allowed to come visit. I was so happy to see her when I got home. But after 3 days of just me and Evelyn, Matilda seems like a great big chunky toddler! So tall and strong and capable.

Matilda is a bit interested in Evelyn. She wants to see the baby first thing every morning, tries to share things with her, and tries to help with her hats--every time she sees a little hat she wants to try to put it on the baby. She's done a good job being gentle and doesn't seem to be jealous. I'm just so happy to be a mom to 2 little girls now!

Ed still has a few more days off of work and we're using that time to adjust to my new routine at home. Evelyn is doing great--already had her one week appointment and had nearly gained back her birthweight already. The ped says they measured her wrong at the hospital though--she's 21 inches now, and we're sure she didn't grow 2 inches in a week, LOL! I'm healing well too and am already below my pre-pregnancy weight. Breastfeeding is going well and Ed is helping me to get time to rest and recover before he has to go back full-time. We're a very happy and very blessed family.

Here are some pictures of Evelyn, taken at the hospital on her birthday:

Mom to four beautiful girls
Matilda (6), Evelyn (5), Adelaide (3), Cecily (20 months)

Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
She is absolutely beautiful. I love her pumpkin hat! i wonder why nurses/doctors insist that cervidil doesn't cause contractions? i pretty much had the same experience as you with my first. I was given cervidil and started contracting within 30 min of recieving it. I was having contractions every 3 min and was blessed with the shaking and vomiting. i never needed the pitocin either.

Chris mom to 4 girls: Ashleigh, Madisyn, Emely, & Cathryn

Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 3,000
Congrats, she's beautiful!
Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 5,592
Just gorgeous! Congratulations.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

Reply With Quote
November 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,648
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
Aww, congratulations! She looks perfect!
![/B] Thank you for the awesome siggy misfitinmn
Reply With Quote
November 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,664
aww!! she is so beautiful!! and thats exactly how it was for me too this time! on the pushing part. did the practice, they yelled stop, and start running crazy and two pushes later Alex was here! It was great!! Congrats!! oh and i know what you mean i was gone for 2days and when i got home Nic and Landon seemed so much bigger to me too!

Reply With Quote
November 15th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,186
what a great story! congrats! our stories were pretty similar actually...I was induced as well and had the cervadil insterted and went into labor before the 12 hours and never needed the pit (thankfully) and Owen was out in 2 pushes. They told me the same thing about the cervadil "it never puts people into labor" ...yea right! I hear people tell me all the time how it put them in labor!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0