Log In Sign Up

Miles Douglas Clark - labor at home with a doula and then acute pre-eclampsia

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 213
Miles Douglas Clark made his debut on November 7th at 9:40am measuring 21 1/2 inches and weighing a whopping 9 pounds!

I went into labor on Sunday the 1st. The contractions stayed steady for about 30 hours but never increased. I made dinner plans for my birthday, November 6th, thinking that it would probably jinx me into going into labor that day. It did!

At 10:30am on November 6th, I had bloody show and immediately went into labor. I went to the office and did payroll, so my employees would not freak out while I was in the hospital. By that afternoon, my contractions were three minutes apart and lasting about a minute. I invited my family over, and labored at home. The doula came at 1am because my contractions were on top of each other with none or very little break in between. After she arrived, we stayed at home until the wee hours of the morning. My contractions went constant with no break, so we all piled into the cars.

When we arrived at the hospital, it took awhile to get me upstairs because they were so busy. I had the shakes and could not talk because of the contractions. They did the usual admitting procedures and discovered I had severe pre-eclampsia. This had not shown up at any of my OB visits including the visit two days before I went into labor. They jacked me up on magnesium sulfate and pitocin and put a catheter in place. Remember - I am on no pain killers or epidurals at this point!

The catheter, magnesium sulfate, and pitocin cranked to the max made my contractions completely unbearable. They wanted me to get an epidural to help to lower my blood pressure. My reflexes were competely exaggerated, and the shakes were severe. The nurses were very concerned that I was about to have a seizure. I agreed to the epidural, and my blood pressure improved a little. My urine still had 4+ protein and my reflexes continued to get worse.

My doctor finally arrived with terrible news. Miles was not coping with the drugs and contractions at all. He had curled up and was trying to conserve oxygen. He was crashing fast! They rushed me in for an emergency c-section. Everything moved very fast. My doctor warned me that the magnesium sulfate could cause uncontrollable bleeding. I was scared to death, and my family was all in the hallway crying. Not fun!

When Miles was born, he was blue and unresponsive. He inhaled a lot of meconium and required a specialist to do severe suctioning to clear his lungs. His apgar score was only a 4. I cried when I learned that. I got a quick glance at him before they rushed him away. I made Matt go with him to the nursery, so Miles would not be alone.

I crashed during the rest of the c-section. I had to be reminded to breath each breath. It was a surreal experience. When I reached recovery, Matt had to keep reminding me to breathe, so the alarms on my monitors would not go off.

The doctor came and told me Miles would never have been able to come out without the c-section. His cord was wrapped around his waist, so each contraction was yanking him back up into my ribs. I guess that is why the labor the weekend before did not progress.

When they brought Miles in, he started breastfeeding like a champ. He must have already known what to do because I was too drugged up to know what was going on. They kept me on the magnesium sulfate and pitocin for three days, so I was stuck in bed with a catheter. My husband was able to stay with me in the hospital, or I would not have been able to take care of Miles. I could not pick him up out of his bassinet from my bed

Miles was very sick from the suctioning. He could not breath through his nose, so feeding and sleeping were difficult. Against all odds, we were able to continue breastfeeding, and he is still solely breastfeeding.

The birth was nothing like what we had planned, but the end result is great! We have a healthy baby boy, and we are able to breastfeed. I am still sore, but my blood pressure is almost back to normal. So far, Miles does not have any long term effects from his traumatic birth. Our hospital plays a lullaby when every baby is born. When Miles's lullaby was being played, he had several people shoving tubes up his nose. He still cries if he hears the lullaby on a toy or his ipod. Poor little guy!

He is a very beautiful baby, and he has the sweetest disposition. We love him so much!
Randa Lyn Clark
Married June 21st, 2008
Expecting Our First in November

Reply With Quote
November 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 5,592
Wow! SO glad you are both doing well after such a scary experience.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

Reply With Quote
November 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ID
Posts: 4,214
Wow, what a crazy experience, I am so glad that you two are doing well now and that your LO is so strong.
Reply With Quote
November 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
i'm glad Miles is doing better after that traumatic birth.
Chris mom to 4 girls: Ashleigh, Madisyn, Emely, & Cathryn

Reply With Quote
April 10th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to RandaBear Send a message via MSN to RandaBear
Was just checking in and thought I would post an update. Miles is a wonderful sweet little man, and we have such a strong bond to each other. His traumatic birth left him with sensory processing disorder, but we are learning how to help him manage. I enjoy every minute with my sweet miniman!

Mommy to Miles Douglas born 11/07/09

Reply With Quote
April 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,033
So glad you updated, Randa.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0