Log In Sign Up

Colin John 12.17.09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,731
Colin John
10lb 6 oz; 23 inches
7:02 am

So, my induction began at about 9 am on Wednesday 12.16. We got to the hosp around 7, got registered, hooked up to IVs, monitors, etc. I had been contracting on my own when we got there, but obviously nothing strong or steady. The beginning of the morning wasn't terribly bad. I was having contractions that I could feel, but they were more annoying than painful. My Dr. came in and checked me and I was still only dilated 1cm and 80% effaced. Around 11:30 we started walking.. Walked for about a half hour before lunch. Around 12:30 my Dr. came in and broke my water, which was totally awkward. My DH was totally in to everything that was going on, he loved watching.. Haha, creeper! So, he looked after my water was broken and was like "ash, there's nothing coming out" So I started laughing and holy crap huuuuuge gushes were pouring out. And DH started gagging. haha.. It was funny. After that I stayed in bed and played cards with my mom, etc. The contractions still weren't terrible at this point and I was able to breathe through them. I was checked again probably mid afternoon and I was STILL 1cm dilated and about 80-90% effaced. Ugh, what a blow that was. I was so mad at that point. Haha. So, around 4-4:30 we got up and went walking again. Contractions were more painful, but I could walk through them and breathe through them, so it was all good. Around 6-6:30 I got checked again, sadly STILL at 1cm dilated.. Getting really frustrated at this point and contractions were getting a lot stronger. I got some pain medicine to try and take the edge off and really screwed myself over with it. I was able to 'sleep' a little bit after I got this medicine and when I woke up the contractions were terrible.. At this point they had also turned down my pitocin by half thinking that my receptors in my brain were over saturated and the contractions I was having weren't doing enough. So, I also got a monitor internally on my uterus to be able to better measure the strength of the contractions. Around 7-7:30 I got into the bathtub and didn't really like it in there either. I remember my IV started burning the crap out of my arm, but it was because of the Penicillin--it was just running in alone, and it's supposed to run with another fluid because of how it burns. That made me mad.. Haha, it hurt and my entire left arm is green and yellow bruises from the IV eventually going bad. So, I probably stayed in the tub for around an hour I'd say. Got back to bed after the tub and that's when things start getting really fuzzy. I think I was completely delirious from the pain of the contractions. I remember DH telling our moms to go home.. and them not wanting to. Around 11, I'd say they all left. DH was on my left side and I was laying on my left side and he'd watch the monitor over my shoulder and tell me when the contractions were almost over. That was such a help. I loved that. Around 11 the nurse came in and told me in an hour they'd check me again and do the epidural. 15 minutes later she comes in again and says the anesthesiologist won't do it because my white count was so high. At that point I was about to start begging for a c-section because I was in so much pain. I couldn't believee how much pain. At least at 11 when she told me I'd get my epi, I knew that the longest I'd have to continue was an hour, and then I'd be able to get some relief. So, she left and said she'd talk to the anesth. again about my epidural and she'd do all she could to get me one. I honestly don't think she thought I'd get one. A few contractions later DH went out and told her "you need to call that anesthesiologist or I'm going to.." Haha. Not long after that I was signing papers for my EPI! Wahoo. I got up and went to the bathroom one last time because I knew it would be a while before I'd be up going again. So, I got my epi at 12:30 and literally passed out after that. I guess while I was sleeping my blood pressure was really super low-- like 70s/30s, so another nurse came and gave me a shot of ephedrine to raise my BP.. But even after giving it to me and in the height of pushing my BP was only in the 110s/over 40s-50s... So I guess it's good she gave it to me. DH sat and watched the monitors for the full three hours that I was asleep.. My BP was scaring him.. :\ So anyway, around 3:30 my nurse came and checked me and I was a 4!! FINALLY!! PROGRESS! She came back around 4:30 and checked me again and I was a 9!! WAHOO!!!! YAY!! I seriously almost cried. I was so happy that finally something was happening and I knew it would be showtime soon. So then around 5 I told DH to go get her because I was starting to feel pressure.. His response was "well hang on, let's not rush things.." haha, now that it was about to be showtime, he was getting cold feet. TOO funny! So, she came and checked me again and I was COMPLETE!! HOOOOOORAH! She wheeled the cart in and said "are we ready?!" DH goes "umm no!" She says "okay, you've been on my back ALL night to get this baby out, and now it's time and you're not ready?! too bad!!" haha, it was funny. I started pushing a little after 5. My doc came in and stayed with us pretty much the entire time I pushed. He sat in the corner, drank coffee, chatted with my family. It was funny. They had some ridiculous conversations, and for the first hour of pushing, between contractions I stayed a part of the convo. Haha. The second hour of pushing was a lot less fun. I puked everywhere. It was disgusting. I kept gagging and it was so gross. But the maneuver of me gagging kept pushing Colin down further and further. So it was all good! FINALLY at 7:02am on 12.17 Colin was OUT. So close to 24 hours of labor and 2 good hours of pushing later, my baby boy was finally here. They put him on my chest and he wasn't crying at first, only because he hadn't been stimulated. But once we started wiping him off he sccccreamed and screamed. I held him for a little bit and then they took him to get cleaned up and weighed. They were all saying "wow,this is a good sized baby!" And then they put him on the scale and they yelled "TEN POUNDS SIX OUNCES"... Haha, my mom said that my response was "Holy S%^%^#" Haha. Too funny. So, that's Colin's birth story in a nutshell. Sorry it's so long, but there was soo much to say about it!
Wife to Ray, mama to Colin (6), Brock (4) & Aubrey (1) & expecting our final installment 10-3-2016
Reply With Quote
December 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
fulloflove's Avatar I love being a mommy!
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,576
Wow!! lurking from feb DDC.... 10 lbs 6 oz!! you done well! congrats!!!

this AMAZING siggy was made by Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*!
Reply With Quote
December 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,111
Wow! Im impressed...what a big boy! Way to go!

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

Reply With Quote
January 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 8,110
Stopping in from April DDC: CONGRATS!!!

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,440
Congrats girl and props to you for such a long labor and big baby boy!!! Sweet Colin is precious!!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0