Log In Sign Up

Addison Elizabeth 12/26/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 15,169
So Christmas night at about 11pm I started to get fairly regular, although not very painful contractions. I was pretty sure it was going to be the next day. But I also wanted a good night's sleep, so I went to bed. I fell asleep until about 4am and got up again and was still having the contractions. I went downstairs and timed them for about 45 mins and they were only about 5 minutes apart, but they still weren't strong, so I went back to sleep for a few hours. I was up about 7am then for the day. Still having the contractions, I ate a little, and then figured I should jump in the shower since I didn't know when it was going to be or how miserable I'd be later in the day. I got in the shower about 8am. While I was drying my hair, it must have been around 8:30, the contractions went from 1 on the pain scale to about 6, literally from one to the next. I went downstairs and told Randy that if he planned on taking a shower, he should do it now and that it was definitely going to be today. I finished getting ready and put together the last few things in my bag. By now the contractions were 5 mins apart but very painful so I called the Dr, knowing even though they weren't strong earlier, I had been having them since 11pm the night before. Everything was packed and about 30 mins later the Dr hadn't called back yet but I told Randy we had to leave for the hospital, figuring she would call back while we were in route. I was literally crouching on the floor trying to get through the contractions.

We headed to the hospital about 9:50am. The Dr hadn't called back by 10am, which was 45 mins after I called so I called back, but as it was ringing she called. I told her what was going on, and that we were already in route.

We got to the hospital and went to maternity and had to register then got sent to triage. The Dr finally came in to check me (I was in an unbelievable amount of pain and knew the check would just add to that). Then she asks me "Did you ever have surgery on your cervix?" Apparently she could feel scar tissue from the LEEP procedures I had done in the past. So while she was checking me, she "broke that up" (no wonder it was painful!) I had known that it could possibly cause problems with dilation, but because I had gone from 0 to 1 to 2 on my own, I though it was okay. But she told me that if she hadn't broken it up, I probably would have stayed at 3cm (that's what I was) for a long time. Immediately after doing that though, she said the magic E word (epidural) and I jumped on that!

A few hours later, the Dr came back to check me and I was 6cm now. She also broke my water. Then she told me there was meconium in the water, so the NICU team would have to check her out immediately after she came out.

The Dr came in to check me again a few hours later because I was getting really uncomfortable. He checked and said I was about 8cm, but the head was at +2 station. I remember one of the nurses said "The head is +2 but she's only 8cm?" and he said I was close to 9, but there was definitely still some cervix there. To me, that was great news, the head was like right there, and I was almost dilated. At the time I though pushing would be a piece of cake!

The next check I was 10cm! I could start pushing! So I pushed for about 20 minutes and it sounded like the baby didn't move at all! So the Dr said we should do "active decent" for an hour, meaning I'd have the contractions, but even though I was 10cm, I wouldn't be pushing. I couldn't last the hour, it was too strong an urge to push after 45 minutes, so we started pushing again. But it still wasn't going that well for the next 45 minutes or so and I don't think the baby moved much, which was so disappointing (and exhausting!). I thought for sure the Dr was going to use the vacuum, which would have been okay with me at that point. But eventually I could tell the baby was crowning, and the NICU team came in and the room started getting really busy. I knew it would only be a matter of minutes! The next couple pushes, I knew the baby would be coming out, and I looked down at one point and I just saw a little arm and hand sticking out. OMG it was amazing! After the baby was out is a little blurry. The nurse came up to me and said something (probably congratulations) and I just said "What is it??" and she had to go look (either to make 100% sure, or maybe she hadn't even checked yet). She said "It's a girl" and I looked at Randy and we were both soo exciting! They couldn't put her on my chest immediate or have him cut the cord because she had to be given to the NICU team. But I was watching them and they said she was fine and they didn't see any issues which was fantastic!

Then I don't even remember being told about tearing, but know they started stitching me up. I had a third degree tear and it took quite a while to stitch me up, but the NICU team was checking out Addison so I was just paying attention to that.

She was born at 6:31pm and was 7lbs 1oz and 20" long.

Reply With Quote
December 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulare, CA
Posts: 13,686
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Sounds like you had a great birth, besides from tearing

Reply With Quote
December 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Shore of Boston
Posts: 1,075
I'm so happy for you! She is beautiful and it sounds like mama did a GREAT job the whole time! I still can't believe you delivered on your due date!!

Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,440
Congrats!! She's absolutely beautiful!!!

Reply With Quote
January 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,676
I wanted to pop in and Say congrats. I was in your old DDc.. I am so happy for your and your daughter is such a doll !!!
Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 974
Yay another mommy who gave birth on her due date! I had CJ on his due date too.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0