Log In Sign Up

Griffin Karl and Elias Scott 9/19/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX area
Posts: 3,896
I had been on bedrest for 10 weeks and was at 32 weeks and 2 days on 9/18/09. I normally needed a shot of terbutaline at nights to help contractions, but it wasn't a big deal. That Friday was like most others, and a good friend of mine brought me lunch in the early afternoon. Somewhere during her visit I started feeling contractions, which was not unusual near lunch time and near the time I took nifedipine to control contractions. These contractions were pretty painful, but I figured the medicine would subdue them as always.

After she left, the contractions remained. I kept track of them and once I got to 5 in less than 45 minutes I informed my nurse, who hooked me up to the NST. Sure enough, I was having contractions every 5-6 minutes, so she gave me some terbutaline.

I started to feel better and relaxed, since none of this was new to me. My nurse came back after 20 minutes with another shot, because the monitor was still showing some contractions- I hardly flet them since they had been so strong before the shot! This is when I started to realize today was different. Every so often I had to have a second shot of terbutaline, but never this soon after the first shot. So, I called my husband to let him know I was on the second shot and that I would let him know what was going on.

The second shot had the same effect as the first shot and as the nurse brought my third shot, I texted DH to let him know to come to the hospital (it was around 5pm at this point, so he was close to being there already!). I almost wish she hadn't given me the third shot, because as soon as she did the contractions increased in severity. They HURT! You could watch the progression of them on the monitor and the curve on the chart was so high it was almost off the chart. I was breathing through the contractions and had never done that before.

The nurse called my doctor who told her to give me demerol and then repeat the cycle of terbutaline and demerol. My doctor and i were trying very hard to get my pregnancy to October, and I think both of us were hoping this would work. The demerol was useless...it made me sleepy but the contractions stayed just as painful. At around 8 pm the leads on my uterus were not in the right place as the monitor was not showing contractions. But...they had gotten worse and I almost cried through some of them. I was gripping Dh's hand so tightly I think I almost broke it!

My nurse readjusted my leads and we were back on track. Around 10:30 pm I sent DH home to grab some food and let the dogs out. I did this because we knew we were going to go through more terbutaline and demerol and figured he had some time before he had to come back. He left and my Dr came into my room around 5 minutes later. She had never performed an internal check because we didn't want to risk infection since I had ruptured. She did the internal-which hurt quite a bit!- and looked at me and said, "we're having these babies now." I immediately got on the phone and told DH to come back- he made a uturn and probably went 100mph to get back to me!

Everything after that happened so fast. Within minutes I was being wheeled down to labor and delivery. My doctor argued with one of the nurses about getting me into an OR and the nurse had not gotten her orders and wanted me in one of the rooms to confirm my information. I know I was still having contractions, but I barely felt them as everything was moving so quickly...I think I was in shock that This was IT. They wheeled me to an OR to give me an epidural while DH got into his gown and booties . I had an epidural during my surgery for TTTS and it made me panic when I couldn't feel my legs, so I warned my anesthesiologist about it. She was awesome and the epidural did not bother me at all.

I remember the drapes going up, and my anesthesiologist telling me to let her know if I felt dizzy, ill, or light headed- which I did a little. I don't know what she put in my iv but it worked and I felt great. Sure, it was a little odd not to feel anything from the waist down but I felt great! DH came in and he was excited because he had gotten to scrub in with the doctors, lol.

I felt some movement on my uterus, but it honestly felt like they were just setting a tray to balance on my tummy or something. Then, I felt a lot of pressure...and a few seconds later heard the most beautiful baby cry in the world. I looked at DH and said "Thats our baby". We were both crying and kissing and telling each other how much we loved one another. I heard a second cry, just as beautiful as the first.

I told DH to go check on the boys, because I couldn't. randy walked over to see them both and told the doctors their names. They swaddled them both up and brought them both over to see me. I could not believe how tiny and perfect they were. I remember being amazed that they were both breathing on their own. As soon as the neonatologist took the boys, I made DH go with them while I got sewn up.

It was at that point that my Dr. told me I had been 6cm dilated when she checked me...and since the boys were so small I would not have had to be at 10cm for them to start coming out vaginally, so my c section had to be in a bit of a rush. Griffin came out first at 12:01am on September 19th, but as soon as the doctors pulled Griffin out, Elias stuck his feet out with no intention of being left to wait! He came out at 12:01 as well!

During my pregnancy, we learned that Elias had a marginal cord placement and was only getting about 30% of the nutrients, which made him smaller. When my placenta came out, the doctors said his cord had been barely attached to the placenta...it is a true miracle he made it as far as he did in the womb.

I got wheeled back to labor and delivery and spoke with some friends and my in laws before they got me to a recovery room. I got NO sleep that night, but was so thankful that my little men had made it safely into the world!

BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
Reply With Quote
January 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
congratulations. I'm glad everything turned out ok with your boys. How much did they weigh?
Chris mom to 4 girls: Ashleigh, Madisyn, Emely, & Cathryn

Reply With Quote
January 1st, 2010, 08:17 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX area
Posts: 3,896
Griffin weighed 3lbs 15oz and Elias weighed 3lbs 1 oz

BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0