Log In Sign Up

Elijah's birth story 12/27/09 (LONG)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,379
It all began on December 27, 2009 – Sunday morning, at 12:30am. I was lying in bed when I began having contractions. They weren’t overly strong but they were enough that I couldn’t sleep through them. They were coming 7 minutes apart. I got out of bed around 1:30 to walk around, then went back to bed 45 minutes later. At 3:30am I was really getting uncomfortable and still couldn’t sleep. I woke Jason up to keep me company while I continued to time the contractions (still 7 minutes apart). We watched a little TV, and then I took a shower around 4:30am to see if the contractions would go away. At 5am I called my doctor’s office and told them I was having contractions. Since I was supposed to go to the hospital that night at 7pm to start my induction, they told me to just come in and they would start the induction early. I packed up the last few things for my hospital bag and Jason and I left for the hospital at 5:30am. The 1 hour ride to the hospital was very uncomfortable because my contractions got stronger and were now 5 minutes apart. We got settled in a Labor and Delivery room at 7am. I got set up with an IV and antibiotics (GBS+) and was checked. I was still 1cm dilated and 80% effaced, nothing changed since my 40 week appt. At around 9am the pitocin was started and was upped every 15 minutes. At 11am I was checked again. I was still 1cm dilated and 100% effaced. I was also told that there was scar tissue on my cervix which could pose a problem with me dilating. This was most likely from the colposcopy and cryosurgery I had 11 years ago. I really wanted to go through labor without pain medication, but between the pain of the pitocin (I was in tears by the time it was maxed out) and the disappointing lack of dilation, I opted to get the epidural. I felt a lot better after the epidural! I was hoping that now that I was relaxed, maybe I would dilate more. At 2pm I was checked again and was 2cm dilated. I got stretched but was not quite 3cm… and I could hardly stretch. L At 5pm I had my water broken and was then 3cm dilated. At 6pm there was no change. The doctor changed my positions to try to help with dilation. I couldn’t stretch anymore and the doctor was worried I would tear. At this point they told me if I didn’t dilate more in an hour, then they wanted to do a c-section. My main thing was to get the baby out safely, so I agreed. At 7pm there was still no change.
Things got a bit fuzzy for me after that. I remember being wheeled into the OR and everyone setting things up for the section. When the blue sheet went up in front of me I got pretty nauseous. They gave me something to throw up in, just in time! I remember Jason coming in and standing next to me. He was so encouraging, telling me I was doing great. Then I heard Eli’s cry! It was such a beautiful sound! I was hysterical crying and asking to see him. Jason was crying too, telling me how proud of me he was. It seemed like forever before they brought Eli for me to see. He was cleaned and swaddled at this point and all I could say was how beautiful and small he was (his feet were bent up in the swaddle)! Elijah was born at 7:45pm on Dec. 27, 2009. He was 7lbs, 13oz, and 20 ½ inches. His apgar was 9/9.
I spent 1 ½ hours in recovery before being wheeled into a postpartum room. As soon as I got there, I held Eli for the first time. He immediately started nursing like a champ! My recovery from the c-section was very good and I hardly needed any pain meds in the hospital. I feel I had a wonderful birth experience, even though it was very different than how I imagined it would go.

Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 974
I feel you on the hour car ride to the hospital, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! I did it too with contractions 2 minutes apart my mom thought I was going to give birth in the backseat of her Edge.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0