Log In Sign Up

Xander's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2011, 11:04 PM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,164
Well, I know our little ones are almost 2 but I'm new here so I'm just now posting. lol.

Let's see how much of this I remember. lol.

I had been feeling like he would come any minute from like 38 weeks on. lol. I had an appointment a couple days before my due date and had my membranes stripped. On my due date, May 28th, I started having contractions. I monitored them for 3 hours and they steadily came 5 minutes apart. I went in, was still only at 2cm and they stripped my membranes again and told me I'd probably be back in that night or the next day to have a baby..famous last words..

I had those contractions anywhere from 3-8 minutes apart steadily for the next 6 days! They weren't super intense and they would go away here and there but not for long. I walked 3 miles a day and had all the uncomfortable sex I could but nothing. Then finally, on June 3rd at about 4am I woke up with excruciating cramps. It felt like the worst stomach sickness at the same time as your worst period (or for me, the grapefruit sized cyst I once housed on my ovary lol)..it started in my lower stomach and worked it's way to my back. I thought for sure I just had eaten something bad..it felt like I really needed to go to the bathroom. I laid back down and slept until 6ish. When my husband's alarm went off for work, I woke up but couldn't move. The pain was still there. We timed it and it was coming every 90 seconds so I woke up my mom who was staying with us and we went in. I was 3cm and 90% effaced when I went in and they wanted me to be at 4 to admit me. So, they told me to walk the hospital for 2 hours and come back.
When I got back, I was at a 4 so they checked me in. By the time I got a room and all that, it was about 11am. They started me on pitocin to help me dilate a little faster.

At 1pm, I was 5cm dilated and my doc broke my water. Within the hour I was 6cm and I got the epi. My legs numbed immediately and it worked its way up my body. I felt the contractions in my belly subside and I had an hour or two of feeling decent.
Then, I began to felt him move farther down and the pressure was so intense. The pressure turned to pain and I asked them if they could feed more medicine through the epi because I was hurting to bad I was squirming around and couldn't focus on anything. She said that sometimes the epi doesn't numb the vulva and basically, it was just me and the baby from here on out. lol.

Around 4 or 4:30 they checked me and I was almost 10. They had me do a practice push but they said he was still too far up for it to work. So they sat the bed up to let gravity work its magic and waited for a half hour or so. They came back in, and I started pushing.
Shortly after beginning to push, Xander's heartrate dropped to 50 something. They turned me on my left side and it stayed low, so they put me on my right side and it went back up. I had to push laying on my right side from then on out. His head was facing the side instead of down, and I pushed for almost 2 hours with no luck. The doctor then came in (so far the nurse was the only one in there) and was about to manually turn Xander's head when he decided to cooperate and turn himself. As soon as he did the birthing team rushed in and he was out in 2 pushes. At 6:48 pm I gave birth to my angel: 8lbs 2oz, 20.5 inches long. A patch of brown hair on the back of his head and a cone head thanks to the pushing fiasco (which went away within a day lol).

Robert cut the cord and they immediately took him over to clean him off and do the newborn stats, etc. At first I thought something was wrong with him, but he was perfect. However, I had torn really bad and they were having a hard time removing all my clotting and getting me stitched up in order to stop the flow of blood. The hardest time was having them stitch me while I watched Robert give him his first bath from across the room and not being able to hold my baby boy. But, after about 20 minutes I was taken care of and I finally got to "meet" him. It was the single most precious moment of my life. I've never been happier.

He did great in the hospital, took to breast feeding like a champ. We stayed in for 2 days because I was positive for Strep B and then we headed home.

My little one:

Such an amazing feeling and I can't believe it was nearly 2 years ago. So excited to do it all again!

Last edited by robinmichele87; May 1st, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
June 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 10,471
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
awww!! Thanks for sharing!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0