OT: Freaking out and need to vent...

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
the hospital just called. Because my surgery is a scheduled one, it's not considered an emergency. Therefore they're requiring we pay for the thing before they'll remove the stone. They'll compromise however (insert sarcasm) and just ask for a payment of THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS which is what we already owe for the ER visit.

*insert Canadian girl having major freakout* we don't have 3000 dollars right now to put out as a down payment on a surgery. We have enough to go get married, file my paperwork, and head to the next job. That's it.

They told me that they could ask for the full amount (an estimated $10,000) but they'll be nice since I'm on vacation.

NS health care doesn't cover any of this. Well, I could probably get $500 back if I fought the system hard enough, but that's not going to help us one little bit.

Now I don't know what to do. I can't continue living like this unless I keep up the pain meds. And then I'm a freaking zombie and feel sick all the darn time. But we cannot afford this!

/rant

sorry girls, i needed to get it out, and I can't on fb since they don't know we're getting married.

September 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
host of wttc
omg that is discussing how someone can be left in so much pain and not have anything done for them. i think your system over there is terriable.
can they not sort a payment plan out hun.

thank you to babydoll213 for my sig
September 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I can't get anyone on the phone to find out about a payment plan. I'm just gonna call and cancel the darn surgery at this rate.

September 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no! This is so terrible. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this! I have never been to a hospital here in the U.S. where they made you pay up front for the service whether it was a scheduled situation or not. Even if you don't have insurance I have never heard of this. Is there anyway you can try going to a different hospital? Obviously you don't want to keep racking up the medical bills, but I just think it is so ridiculous.

I had gall stones back in May and had to have my gallbladder removed. I am currently making payments to pay for that. Is there anyway you could set up a payment plan? Have you asked if you qualify for any kind of financial assistance? A lot of hospitals will do this.

I really hope you are able to figure things out and take care of this so you can start feeling better! (((hugs!)))
September 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
I can't get anyone on the phone to find out about a payment plan. I'm just gonna call and cancel the darn surgery at this rate.
I don't know if this will work or not, but if the billing department is not helping you see if you can talk to a hospital social worker. My understanding is that they should know who to put you in touch with so you can get this taken care of. And for the record I've never heard of a hospital requiring money up front either. That's just weird.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
September 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I've been routed around to half a dozen people, none of which are answering my call. and I need answers soon so I can look at finding an actual doctor who can keep my pain killers going until this resolves itself since we only got enough to get me through to this weekend.

all I know is we don't have 3000 to have this done right now, and I can't go with out the heavy pain killers (as much as I hate the way they make me fee) I'd have to OD on otc meds to get any relief (I take 660mg aleve for a basic headache and barely get relief these days because I've been in so much pain for so long for other things).

September 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Wow, I'm another one that is surprised they wanted 3,000 dollars up front. I can't believe they wouldn't draw you up a payment plan. Can you not fill out a paper which basically means you are medically indigent as in you don't have the resources to pay it right now, at least not in full?
September 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I got the advocate on the phone. They're happy to do the bill in payments that's not an issue and they'd never expect someone to pay $14,000 + in one shot. But they do require a down payment, Right now, we just don't have it.

So I'm going to call and cancel it, and will visit urgent care to keep my pain meds undercontrol. We are gonna book our wedding stuff and go take care of that part of our lives and I'll deal with pain and or fish the stone out myself.

September 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Again, so sorry you are having to deal with all this pain! If it is anything like what I experienced with gall stones, I totally feel for you! Since surgery might not be something you can afford right away, have you looked into natural ways to pass kidney stones without surgery. I know there are certain things you can do in your diet as well as herbal supplements you can take to try and get the stones to pass on their own. I don't know, just an idea!

Hope you get feeling better soon!
September 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM
(not so patiently) WTTC
I know this sounds tough, but I'd say wait it out. I passed mine last night and now I feel 100% again (it was almost instant relief). These past 3-4 weeks SUCKED but better pain now then bills later!

My urologist told me 90% of people with a 4mm stone pass it themselves. Have you tried taking ibprofen? Did the other pain killer help with the sickness at all?

I hope you get this all sorted out, an soon. I know exactly how you feel
September 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNR View Post
I know this sounds tough, but I'd say wait it out. I passed mine last night and now I feel 100% again (it was almost instant relief). These past 3-4 weeks SUCKED but better pain now then bills later!

My urologist told me 90% of people with a 4mm stone pass it themselves. Have you tried taking ibprofen? Did the other pain killer help with the sickness at all?

I hope you get this all sorted out, an soon. I know exactly how you feel

I have a resistance to most otc pain meds. I've been taking either Tylenol, or Advil, several times a week for 22 years due to headaches/migraines. The amt I would need to combat this type of pain, could in fact be a suicide dose. Even 660mg (3x the recommended dose) of Aleve doesn't touch it.

I do feel better tonight. No meds (other than Aleve for a headache) since 1pm (8hrs). The nausea med helps combat that side effect, I'm just worried about running out and then the pain hitting me super hard.

September 15th, 2011, 10:52 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 16th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Annika*VHKC*'s Avatar PiNk & bLue x3
Awww that's nuts!!! I love having a medicare card! I can't imagine the stress this is putting u right now plus with pain and wanting to enjoy a wedding! hugs
MoMMy 2 DD#1: Victoria Sera (December 11th, 2010), DS#1: Hayden Asher (May 28th, 2012), DS#2 Kingston Brennan (October 30th, 2013) & DS#3: Cristian Skyler (March 22nd, 2015)

September 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sux! I'm sorry! And how is having a kidney stone not life threatening? Couldn't it cause blockage, an infection and other things? ***
September 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pne View Post
That sux! I'm sorry! And how is having a kidney stone not life threatening? Couldn't it cause blockage, an infection and other things? ***
I think they only consider it life threatening if the kidney starts to push on other organs. so far I'm good in that department as they have a little room to growi in there. They'd also be more worried if I had more stones (cause of impending blockages) but I do not, there's just the one.

Still saying it's in my bladder, but I could be wrong. I'm having my first kidney pain in 24 hours (and I only took 2 pills total in that 24, down from 4-6 from prior),

I look better, I feel better. Now if I can come home with a wedding dress, a pair of shoes and my wedding ring I will be happy as a clam.

Gonna take the flomax tonight (it dialates the ureters and urethra and makes ya pee non stop) and see if I can't pass that sucker by tomorrow.

September 16th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Good luck! Hopefully that works!!!
September 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Hopefully you pass the stone soon and you feel better!
September 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Hope you feel better soon!! That truly sucks. I'm in Canada and so glad that I don't have to worry about hospital bills.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search