Thursday Thoughts

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
(not so patiently) WTTC
Will you be/Do you already raise your children in a praticular religion?
September 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Nope. DF has issues with organized religion and I'm not into mine enough to insist on anything. I'd like to have any future children baptized (more out of tradition than anything), but anything else will be their decision.

September 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
JSquaredMom's Avatar Super Mommy
Ditto. My husband studied religions in college, and is very not into us brining up our son in any particular one. I wasn't raised with any one particular faith, either. I think it'd be a good idea to take Josh to church to expose him to it, but hubby doesn't want to make him do that until he wants to, or chooses to. I did spend some time in my early 20s church hopping/shopping to see what they were all about, and it was a good experience. I also think, though, that it would be nice to expose him to it earlier, rather than later....but it's more an idle thought, not a burning passion.
September 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Nope we don't!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't either. DH was raised in the LDS (Mormon) religion and I was sort of a member when I was little although neither of my parents weren't. Although all of our outside family is not really happy that we are not active participants in the religion, it is our life and I am pretty adamant about not bringing my children up in any organized religion.
September 22nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
(not so patiently) WTTC
Nothing for us over here, either. I was never raised anything and DH grew up as a Jehovah's Witness, but left when he was 17.
September 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
S/O and I 's children will be raised Christian.

September 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Annika*VHKC*'s Avatar PiNk & bLue x3
We're both catholic!..
MoMMy 2 DD#1: Victoria Sera (December 11th, 2010), DS#1: Hayden Asher (May 28th, 2012), DS#2 Kingston Brennan (October 30th, 2013) & DS#3: Cristian Skyler (March 22nd, 2015)

September 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I was raised Catholic but my family doesn't really practice it. They believe in God but they don't go to church or participate in most of the sacraments. dh was raised Baptist and his family is pretty conservative, go to church regularly and were/are involved in church, as well. His parents are founding members of the church we/they go to and bil is the musical director.

I don't really like to associate with any particular denomination and dh leans the same direction (as in we're "just Christians" ). The things that separate most denominations aren't the important parts of the message and it often leads to people trying to "out Christian" each other. It also leads to judgement and that's the sort of thing that makes people decide not to bother with God in the first place. We want to give our children the opportunity to learn about God without all of the dogma.

We will talk about God in front of our children and teach them about Jesus. They will be free to ask questions and explore their own faith and dh and I will be there to answer questions about what *we* believe. If they decide as they grow that they do not wish to be Christians, that is up to them. We aren't the belief police and it isn't my job to convert people. That's what, in my belief system, the Holy Spirit is for. My job to be witness through my own actions, to offer guidance when it's appropriate or asked for and to love people regardless of where they are on their walk with God/if they're on a walk with God at all.

So yes, we will be raising our children in an environment in which God is part of every day life. Whether or not they continue that when they leave our home is up to them and I certainly want them to have the opportunity to explore their faith for themselves. As a result of 15-20 years of not being allowed to ask questions about faith and God (in school and at church) and also having parents that didn't have the guidance themselves to be able to teach me, goodness knows I'm still exploring the finer details of my own beliefs.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; September 22nd, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
September 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
host of wttc
niether i believe a child should chose when they are older. dh was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and its left him with alot of emotional scaring and i believe in wiccan but don't practice.

thank you to babydoll213 for my sig
September 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
I was raised Catholic but my family doesn't really practice it. They believe in God but they don't go to church or participate in most of the sacraments. dh was raised Baptist and his family is pretty conservative, go to church regularly and were/are involved in church, as well. His parents are founding members of the church we/they go to and bil is the musical director.

I don't really like to associate with any particular denomination and dh leans the same direction (as in we're "just Christians" ). The things that separate most denominations aren't the important parts of the message and it often leads to people trying to "out Christian" each other. It also leads to judgement and that's the sort of thing that makes people decide not to bother with God in the first place. We want to give our children the opportunity to learn about God without all of the dogma.

We will talk about God in front of our children and teach them about Jesus. They will be free to ask questions and explore their own faith and dh and I will be there to answer questions about what *we* believe. If they decide as they grow that they do not wish to be Christians, that is up to them. We aren't the belief police and it isn't my job to convert people. That's what, in my belief system, the Holy Spirit is for. My job to be witness through my own actions, to offer guidance when it's appropriate or asked for and to love people regardless of where they are on their walk with God/if they're on a walk with God at all.

So yes, we will be raising our children in an environment in which God is part of every day life. Whether or not they continue that when they leave our home is up to them and I certainly want them to have the opportunity to explore their faith for themselves. As a result of 15-20 years of not being allowed to ask questions about faith and God (in school and at church) and also having parents that didn't have the guidance themselves to be able to teach me, goodness knows I'm still exploring the finer details of my own beliefs.
This exactly. It's almost as if I wrote that myself. I will teach my children about God and Jesus, but they will be allowed to question it, if they need to. Growing up, you really couldn't question it, and it caused me to walk away.

I also think that while I won't be necesarrily going to church every week, or really, really, delving into the Faith, I will be teaching them to live in a good way. I plan on teaching them to respect others and keep their beliefs, whatever they might be.

September 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Super Mommy
Db and I will definitely riase our children Christian (specifically Baptist) we both grew up in that faith and we firmly believe in continuing it.
September 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lutheran (WELS) I take my kids to Sunday school and then we go to church after.

I was Catholic, but never really went to church living with my dad.
September 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
We will raise them with no religion, but answering questions as respectfully as we can to let them come to their own decisions.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
We're Catholic and kids will be raised Catholic...but I'm not hardcore on it.
September 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
KaylynnandAddisonsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was brought up Baptist
My grandfather was a baptist preacher up until he past away back in 08
So growing up as a child and into my teen years I went to my grandfathers church.

As for now, I don't go. Not because I'm against it, I just don't
My girls go with their papaw every Sunday to a Baptist church
They also go every Wednesday to Awana's (Program for the kids)

September 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have started going to church every Sunday morning. We don't agree with everything the church preaches. Very small town so not a lot of options. But we love the people and plan to teach our kids to form their own beliefs and that it's okay to question things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search