Multivitamins

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
theagent49's Avatar Veteran
We're planning on trying in early 2012, like February or March so I thought I better start taking a multivitamin as I heard you should start prior to actually conceiving. I'm in Canada, wondering if anyone out there has tried the Shopper's Life Brand. I don't think it matters too much what one I take prior as I hear it's only when you get pregnant that problems can occur (nausea, etc). What about the Wal Mart brand? Materna was on sale for cheaper than the Wal Mart brand but they were sold out - would you go with Materna or Wal Mart brand if the same price?

You don't realize how confusing the preplanning is until you actually start thinking about it.
September 28th, 2011, 03:43 PM
JSquaredMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I asked my OB about this because I just hate actual prenatals. They make me extremely constipated and who wants that?? She said it was cool to use any particular multi as long as I also was taking at least 800 mg of folic acid. So, I take my target brand and whatever I bought folic acid and I'm good.

I'm thinking of taking a B complex too, though. I've heard good things about that.

September 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am currently taking the Spring Valley prenatal that I got at Walmart for like $4. lol. I figured that I am so early in the game still that any old prenatal should do for now. Once I get a little closer, I will probably look into taking something that my doc recommends. For now, this seems to have all of the nutrients that I need. I did notice that it was making me a bit sick to my stomach though, so I take it at night before bed or around dinner time with food or a snack so I don't notice the nausea as much. I have also heard good things about taking extra B6 or other B vitamins, so I might start doing that as well.
September 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Annika*VHKC*'s Avatar PiNk & bLue x3
I take pregvit5 it has the folic acid too! But it's prescribed. I took it for my last and am taking it now!
MoMMy 2 DD#1: Victoria Sera (December 11th, 2010), DS#1: Hayden Asher (May 28th, 2012), DS#2 Kingston Brennan (October 30th, 2013) & DS#3: Cristian Skyler (March 22nd, 2015)

September 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but before I moved from Ontario I stocked up on Quest vitamins. They have a prenatal line (which I obviously haven't used) but they also have a women's multivitamin that has 800 mcg of folate in it and I've been really impressed with those.

They're capsule form (which is better for absorption than tablets) and they have no dyes, preservatives or added craziness. They look almost home made. If I recall correctly, they weren't very expensive either (at least compared to the other product at the health foods store where I bought them). They were $18.00 for 100 capsules and a few weeks before I moved they brought in a 200 capsule bottle that I believe was $30.00.

I'm not sure about Shopper's Life Brand. I used to buy fish oil and calcium magnesium from Zellers (Jamieson brand) and they were the same sort of quality. They weren't terrible but I could tell a difference in quality (the first fish oil and cal/mag I bought were higher quality GNC products).

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
September 29th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I haven't seen Quest...where did you get it from? I should probably check the vitamin place down the street from me. I took a plain multivitamin for about a year a while back, just the Centrum regular and I never felt any different (ie. sickness) but they didn't have as much iron or folic acid in them as the prenatals so I guess we'll see what happens.
September 29th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quest Vitamins That's their website. I can't seem to find a list of retailers on it but if you were really curious you could send them an email and they'd probably send you a list. I used to get mine from a store called SRH Health Foods. I wonder if you'd be able to order them online.

Edited to add: Quest Vitamins I found the exact page I was looking for after all.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; September 29th, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
September 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyJ View Post
I am currently taking the Spring Valley prenatal that I got at Walmart for like $4. lol. I figured that I am so early in the game still that any old prenatal should do for now. Once I get a little closer, I will probably look into taking something that my doc recommends. For now, this seems to have all of the nutrients that I need. I did notice that it was making me a bit sick to my stomach though, so I take it at night before bed or around dinner time with food or a snack so I don't notice the nausea as much. I have also heard good things about taking extra B6 or other B vitamins, so I might start doing that as well.
, I have that slight feeling of nausea too from the Spring Valley ones.
September 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I don't know if they have it in the US - I haven't heard of half of yours - but I'm taking Pregnacare and quite happy with it.

October 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought a Womens vitamin with Flax as well as a folic acid and a bottle of Calcium, Nature Made brand. I got them pretty cheap so stocked up. I haven't started takeing them yet, I wanted to wait for the Mirena to be gone. Once closer to actually TTC, Ill get on a prenatal.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Anyone else have any concerns about how high the iron is (27mg) in some of the multi's when taking about 5-6 months pre TTC as this is substanially higher than those in regular multi's as I know when TTC you should be getting enough + more iron. I just want to make sure it's safe to take that much 6 months in advance of TTC.

October 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
That would probably be a question for your doc hon. On the box of my prenatals it makes a point of saying the iron dose is lower than most makes, so I think I'm ok - I'm prone to anaemia anyway.

October 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if they are available in Canada, but my OB actually recommended Flintstones vitamins - the chewable kids vitamins. She said to take two a day. They are a great alternative to giant pre-natals if you have trouble swallowing pills or if pills make you nauseous.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search