Did anyone feel not pretty on their wedding day?

Forum: Waiting to Try to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Waiting to Try to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so horrified of being big when I walk down the aisle. I want all of my photographs that aren't frame worthy to be bad b/c my eyes are closed or my smile is weird... not b/c I think I look like a sausage or that my arms look like hams or something. It seems like all the photos we see brides just look PERFECT on their wedding day... like the best shape of their life. I'm just worried I won't be one of them. Does anyone feel like they didn't look as good as they hoped when they got their photos back?

Like I got a dress for the wedding we went to this past Friday night and I thought it was way cute and got all dressed up, had DF put the camera on the tripod and get some photos of us before we left. I figured I'd use one to have a new siggy made. But when I looked at them I was so upset b/c I looked fat in EVERY ONE of them! I just don't want this to be the issue on my wedding day, and I know the answer to that is to start eating right and exercising and getting healthy NOW, but I'm just so worried no matter what I do I won't look... how I want to.

Did you feel beautiful on your special day?

February 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I think it's totally a mind thing. If you do eat healthy, get active and stuff then you will FEEL beautiful on your big day. You'll have wonderful memories of the day and when you look at the photos you'll remember how you felt and stuff and that will help you to see your self as beautiful.

I hope that makes sense.

February 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
tinafrank's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that there is any way that you can't feel gorgeous on your wedding day. Even just stepping into a wedding dress makes you feel unbelievably beautiful. I was in good shape (for me) but not my best, but I will tell you that I felt like Cinderella the whole day. It's just that day when no matter what goes wrong, everything is perfect.
February 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i had a "test run" of my hair and makeup and it basically made me look like WAY overdone. People were shocked when they saw me like that at the rehearsal (i had the test run done just before), and i was horrified by their reactions. When dh told me it wasnt right, it sent me over the edge! I went back to the salon after the rehearsal and before the rehearsal dinner to make them fix it and no matter what she did she just could not make me look good. It looked like CAKED on makeup, and it was supposedly air brush! I cried before i went to bed because i was so upset. I dealt with it that night for the rehearsal and it did look ok in pictures but i wanted to look like ME on my wedding day, so i went over to the mall and had the girl at the estee lauder counter do my make up for me, it was free but i gave her $20 to say thanks. It looked great. And as for the hair i just told the guy who did it that it was a bit much and i wanted it more natural, he just did it curly and down and it ended up looking great. Thank god for the test run, i would have FREAKED if this happened on the wedding day. I'm pretty sure i pissed off everyone in the salon but in the end i looked good hehehe oh not to mention one of my bmaids had the hissy fit of a lifetime in the salon too! LOL they must have LOVED my wedding!!!

As for feeling fit.....could you get a trainer? even once a week to keep you on track? Maybe ask for it as a birthday gift or something from df? I think it helped a TON in being in the shape I wanted to be in for my wedding. I think sometimes you can get a trainer who is newer for cheaper.......they make you work really hard.
February 25th, 2008, 04:57 PM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also hated my trial run make-up. I didn't recognize myself in the mirror, it was scary. But the lady redid it and I was super happy. That's what the trail runs are for. I'd recommend you get them for hair and/or make up. And I agree that you will FEEL beautiful. You will feel so good to be getting married to Ben, you won't be thinking about your arms.

Oh and all us former brides look so great in our pics b/c we only post the ones we look great in! I know I had some pics that will never leave the proof book they came in. You'll have HUNDREDS of pics taken of you on the wedding day. There will be plenty on them you'll love.

You WILL look great Shannon. Are you setting realistic expectations? With your wedding in April 2009, I think it would be a good idea to be at your goal weight at the latest by January. Try posting a pictures of heathy foods and meals on your frig. I cut out pic from mags of delicious looking healthy salads or fruits and put them on my frig. This way when I want something, I see the pics i put up and start craving healthy stuff before I even open the frig.

Losing weight is tough work. Don't beat yourself up over it. Get a dress that flatters you as is...and that way any added weight loss/toning is a bonus.

February 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok I am going to be the odd ball. I had hundreds of pictures taken and I like maybe 2 professional ones and about 3 other peoples ones. I didn't fee at all sexy/beautiful/cute on my wedding. But I hate dresses!!!! I felt like and white puff ball, the dress was heavy my butt crack was sweating all night LOL, I rarely have make up on so when they put on tons I felt odd, i did the fake hair thing and it turned out ok I wasn't going to think I was cute at all because I dressed up PERIOD. I am such a jeans and t-shirt girl....it was so unnatural for me to be dressed up. It was maybe the 10th time in my life i wore high heels. We don't have one wedding photo printed because we didn't like any of them enough to do it---i don't think spending that much money on photographer was worth it. My friends took better pictures---we printed some of theirs.
I wanted to do a beach wedding with about 10 people my DH wanted the traditional thing because he wanted to see me in a white dress, so i dressed the part more for him not me-it was his childhood dream (he is kind of the typical girl role in our relationship LOL). And he thought I was hot! So i guess thats what matters. I could have cared less about the whole wedding, i was just excited for reading our own vows and getting married! He did most of the planning...i said just tell me a time And i will show up with my girls! Well i did help alot with the cake testing LOL.

February 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok I am going to be the odd ball. I had hundreds of pictures taken and I like maybe 2 professional ones and about 3 other peoples ones. I didn't fee at all sexy/beautiful/cute on my wedding. But I hate dresses!!!! I felt like and white puff ball, the dress was heavy my butt crack was sweating all night LOL, I rarely have make up on so when they put on tons I felt odd, i did the fake hair thing and it turned out ok I wasn't going to think I was cute at all because I dressed up PERIOD. I am such a jeans and t-shirt girl....it was so unnatural for me to be dressed up. It was maybe the 10th time in my life i wore high heels. We don't have one wedding photo printed because we didn't like any of them enough to do it---i don't think spending that much money on photographer was worth it. My friends took better pictures---we printed some of theirs.
I wanted to do a beach wedding with about 10 people my DH wanted the traditional thing because he wanted to see me in a white dress, so i dressed the part more for him not me-it was his childhood dream (he is kind of the typical girl role in our relationship LOL). And he thought I was hot! So i guess thats what matters. I could have cared less about the whole wedding, i was just excited for reading our own vows and getting married! He did most of the planning...i said just tell me a time And i will show up with my girls! Well i did help alot with the cake testing LOL.

February 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I wanted to do a beach wedding with about 10 people my DH wanted the traditional thing because he wanted to see me in a white dress, so i dressed the part more for him not me-it was his childhood dream (he is kind of the typical girl role in our relationship LOL). And he thought I was hot! So i guess thats what matters. I could have cared less about the whole wedding, i was just excited for reading our own vows and getting married! He did most of the planning...i said just tell me a time And i will show up with my girls! Well i did help alot with the cake testing LOL.[/b]
I want to see a picture from your wedding!

Shannon, I'm sure you will make your weight goals and feel very beautiful on your wedding day!
February 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah i'm 100% positive that shannon will be a GLOWING BEAUTY on her wedding day!!!!!!!!
February 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I made a schedule to work out together about 2-3 times/week prior to the wedding. I ordered my dress online, and just went on the measurements. When it arrived, it fit but there wasn't any room for food (I wore supportive undergarment)! I think I lost about 5 more pounds before my day. At work, my work clothes were hanging off me, literally cause I was getting so thin.

My face, on the other hand: The bcp made me break out after I had worked for months with fade cream to get rid of some pesky acne scars. At the same time I was having some skin allergies and I couldn't figure out which product was giving me a reaction, so on my wedding day I had some pimples and redness on my chin and around my mouth. I put on makeup, of course and tried to forget about it and enjoy my day. I was able to "airbrush" out the blemishes later on my computer.

So I didn't feel like a princess, but I was comfortable* and felt like getting married was the right thing to do. Even while engaged, we were focusing on the Marriage, not the Wedding.

*Emotionally comfortable, physically my dress fit but we didn't count on a cold snap the last week in April of 40 degrees when just the week before it was in the mid 50s. After being outside for an hour getting photographed, I was chilled through and just wanted to get it over with so I could get warm again. (Garden wedding)
February 26th, 2008, 03:15 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not feel beautiful on my wedding day. I felt like I looked as good as I was going to look but it wasn't what I wanted. When I ordered my dress I was a certain size, I felt beautiful, and I was so excited to wear it on my wedding day all done up and everything. About 3 months after ordering my dress I found out I was pregnant with Liam. I packed on 44 pounds with him and although I would trade my body for my son any day it was certainly not how I wanted to look on my wedding day. I had my first fitting 2 1/2 months after giving birth (which was 2 months before the wedding) and she couldn't even zip it halfway up. It had to be let out 2 inches! I sobbed in the fitting room, I felt so huge and disgusting. I was so used to seeing myself a certain way to now be something different was really difficult for me. And it's not just the pounds that changed my body but the pregnancy itself--rib cage widened, hips widened, stretch marks all over my belly...not the beautiful image I had in my mind. Dh still thought I looked incredible though so that was some consolation. I also used to be anorexic so I'm sure my warped sense of body image played into how I felt as well. I guess looking back on it, it was what it was and I can't change that. I love my boys and I'm even beginning to like myself for how I am now and now what I once was. Not that I'm not going to try and get back to what I once was--or as close as I can get.

Maybe practice taking pictures of yourself and find a good angle where you look your best. There are always going to be some bad shots--everyone has them. I'm sure you'll be beautiful on your wedding day!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
tinafrank's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Ok I am going to be the odd ball. I had hundreds of pictures taken and I like maybe 2 professional ones and about 3 other peoples ones. I didn't fee at all sexy/beautiful/cute on my wedding. But I hate dresses!!!! I felt like and white puff ball, the dress was heavy my butt crack was sweating all night LOL, I rarely have make up on so when they put on tons I felt odd, i did the fake hair thing and it turned out ok I wasn't going to think I was cute at all because I dressed up PERIOD. I am such a jeans and t-shirt girl....it was so unnatural for me to be dressed up. It was maybe the 10th time in my life i wore high heels. We don't have one wedding photo printed because we didn't like any of them enough to do it---i don't think spending that much money on photographer was worth it. My friends took better pictures---we printed some of theirs.[/b]

You sound like me! Except that I didn't wear shoes (what's the point, my dress was huge, you couldn't see, except in this one picture that I love you can see I'm barefoot!) and I just put on my own makeup so it was really light and natural. Also, I had an awesome photographer, so I really liked my pictures. But, I'm a total jeans girl. Just who I am - oh, and I don't wear shoes unless I have to, but the shoes I wear have to be cute.
February 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
For me, I felt beautiful with the exception of my hair. I think I might've told this story before, but I'm not sure...

So about two weeks before the wedding, I did a trial run with a hairstylist in the area. I had never been to her before, but I described what I wanted- which was pretty, wavy curls with a lot of body. I wanted to wear my hair down. She did it SO beautiful for the trial run. I felt like a gorgeous model for the rest of the night. So I wanted her to do the exact same thing for my wedding day and I was confident it would be beautiful.

On the day of my wedding, I went in there and for some odd reason, she said that my hair held the curl really well last time, so she wasn't going to hair spray every piece she curled like she did last time. I was like "um... okay." I didn't really doubt her judgment since she was the experienced hairstylist and I was a client. So she curled all my hair and then just lightly sprayed the hair spray over all my hair after she was finished. Well, about an HOUR later, all the curls were falling out and I had to have one of my bridesmaids and her mom re-curl all my hair which I had just spent about $100 bucks for. It was SO inconvenient. I was supposed to be taking pictures before the wedding with my photographer and bridesmaids but instead I had to have these girls re-curl my hair. I felt so scared that it wouldn't look good since they were re-curling it with their skills, etc...

In the end, it definitely looked better than I thought it did, but the curls didn't look like how I had wanted. Most of the pictures turned out okay, but there are a bunch that I can see that the curls all fell out. I even went downstairs to the locker room during the reception to curl the bottoms because they had fallen out again.

Anyways, my advice to you is make sure you do trial runs with make-up and hair so you can find out exactly what you want to look like, and then have the people do the EXACT same thing on the day of your wedding.

Another tip I have for pictures is: when you're standing in a strapless dress (or even in a shirt), never press your arms to your side. No matter how thin you are, it makes your arms look huge because the fat and skin is pressed down. Just let your arms graze your sides.

Also, if you have the money to have your dress altered, I'd do that, too. My dress was altered to fit me VERY snugly. When you alter your dress to fit your own body, it makes a big difference than just wearing the standard dress.

February 27th, 2008, 05:07 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I felt beautiful on my wedding day. I probably WASN'T but I did feel pretty. That said, I went through all of our pics and found like 2 that I didn't find some flaw with. And there was this one pic where I was walking out of the church...I look like a floating fat balloon! I have no idea why I looked that way in that one picture, but it was horrific. Even my dh was like OMG! But I don't think I am all that pretty anyway and I take terrible pictures. My right eye squints more when I smile and sometimes in pics I look like I have one I open and one almost shut. It sucks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search