JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   VBAC or repeat C-section? (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/12045-vbac-repeat-c-section.html)

Selestial January 21st, 2005 08:35 AM

The doctor recommended that if I want to schedule a repeat c-section that I make that decision by my February appointment. He said I can cancel if I change my mind, but I really don't know what I want to do.

Anyone have any experience with VBAC good or bad? Is a repeat c-section worse, the same or better than the first one?

They are also still thinking my due date is off and I'm not really due until the 21st. The doctor said the earliest they would do the c-section is 10 days earlier, basically my original due date. Right now I'm almost leaning toward scheduling the c-section for that weekend (I think it would be like May 14 - 15) and if I go into labor before that then I was "supposed" to go VBAC, but the reality is that even seems to me like I'm taking the easy way out.

Someone on the other board asked why I had the first c-section, so...

I had HELLP syndrome with Riley, so they rushed me to the hospital and put me on a Magnesium Sulfate drip and tried to induce me. The induction didn't go all that well (apparently the Mag Sulfate can interfere with induction, but they had to do it to get my platelet count up) and then RIley's heartrate dropped and they did an emergency c-section.

Help please....

Shan January 21st, 2005 05:31 PM

Your dr. should give you papers to look over and sign about the risks accociated with VBAC and C-Section. The risks are low with each but I think the risk is slightly higher for the fetus with the VBAC in the case of uterine rupture. Personally, I am scheduling repeat c-section but for personal reasons really not associated with the risks itself. They said they will tell me what day on my next dr. visit in Feb. on what day I can go in. I would suggest going over all the information about each and discuss your concerns and hopes with your dr. Good Luck!

linda11567 January 23rd, 2005 11:00 AM

Well I'm in the same boat, so I don't know how much help I can be. Nikolas was born natural, Andrew half an hour later was born emergency c-sect. The nurse said I didn't need to worry about episotomy cause at 3 or so lbs they would just pop out with no problem. She was wrong. With nikolas they used the vacuum thing and forceps and he still tore me. He weighed 3.14. Andrew's heartrate dropped with every contraction and didn't go back up so they grabbed the knife and started cutting while trying to sedate me. So I felt a lot of it. They didn't have time to make sure I was under or for the epi. I had had one but it wore off. I do not want to go through that again. He had to be bagged and we were sure we were going to lose him. So I'm leaning towards scheduled c-sect too. I hear that with the second if you tore the first time you don't usually after that, but I'm still scared what a 7lb baby will do and that it will end up in c-sect anyway. And my sister had her uterus rupture. I know its rare, but I can't help but think about it. She actually almost died cause they didn't know it had ruptured. She had to be resussitated. Then she had an emergency hysterectomy. Not to scare you, I know we hear enough horror stories and this was 11 yrs ago, so I'm not sure she was really a good candidate to begin with. Its just something I think about. I also am torn though cause I think its the easy way out too and natural would be better for both of us, I'm just not sure its a chance I'm willing to take. I see many drs and the last I spoke to about it thought maybe I shouldn't even try natural since I had problems with such a tiny baby. But I will get my records this week from their birth and then we will make the decision. I may not be a good candidate for VBAC if I have a small birth canal, which I think I do. I say don't feel guilty if you decided to go C, cause your putting the health of baby first. That's what I'm telling myself.

Selestial January 24th, 2005 04:44 PM

Well, talking to my doctor about it at the last appointment, he didn't suggest either way really (which is part of the problem). He went over the risks of each but said that experts today are staddling the fence on which is better. I guess I'll try to talk to DH about it more this week and make a decision.

Mav January 26th, 2005 08:31 PM

I've got a while to think about it, but I want to have my baby completely naturally (or as naturally as possible). However, I had an emergency C-section with my daughter 8 months ago.

Won't see the doctor (I'm being assigned to a high risk due to previous pregnancy complications) for another two or three weeks and was curious if anyone was in a similiar situation (wanting VBAC after very recent C-Section) and what their doctor had recommended.

Thanks for listening. ;)

Selestial January 27th, 2005 04:11 PM

Well, my doctor wouldn't recommend one way or the other. He discussed the risks of both, and said it was my call

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.